Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2009, 00:22   #2536
Senior - BHPian

The sub-title for the Modifications and Accessories forum mentions "Engine swaps, forced induction, tyre upgrades, free flow exhausts; it's all in here!" Looking at the direction that this forum is taking, might I suggest something like "Sun-films, Wax Polish, Autocop Systems, Underbody coats and Car Perfumes; it's all in here!"
Old 14th November 2009, 01:17   #2537
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
The sub-title for the Modifications and Accessories forum mentions "Engine swaps, forced induction, tyre upgrades, free flow exhausts; it's all in here!" Looking at the direction that this forum is taking, might I suggest something like "Sun-films, Wax Polish, Autocop Systems, Underbody coats and Car Perfumes; it's all in here!"
can there be another sub section called accessories where all these sunfiml, car perfume threads go?
Old 14th November 2009, 15:57   #2538
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Any update on images retaining EXIF data after T-Bhp logo overlay.
Not at this moment, Gendarmee. If it is possible to include that in our attachment + watermarking system, will only be so after our next round of major upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
How about a mobile client to surf TBHP? Any thoughts on that?
Has already been shortlisted & confirmed, based on previous suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Suggestion:

How about having a link under the 'view my garage' one on the profiles when one posts on the forums, saying 'view my ownership thread'.
One of the problems I foresee is when a member has more than one ownership thread. However, for the time being, BHPians may offer a link to their ownership thread in the BHP Garage itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I'm getting an additional duplicate e-mail for the subscribed threads which are having the Weekly e-mail notification.

Mods please look into this matter...
Thanks Mithun. Will look into this right away.

@ Others : I presume no one is receiving a 100+ emails from the classifieds anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
The sub-title for the Modifications and Accessories forum mentions "Engine swaps, forced induction, tyre upgrades, free flow exhausts; it's all in here!"
As of this moment, the first page of that section has discussions on free flow exhausts, performance air filters, a projector headlamp mod, a Contessa being converted to a muscle car, Civic modifications thread and one on an EVO V. I think the description fits. If you do see any threads that ought to be in another section, please intimate us via the "report this post to a moderator" functionality.
Old 15th November 2009, 01:08   #2539
BHPian

hi
i did search for a good part of an hour but i am not able to locate where the aims and goals of team-bhp are documented. What i was specifically looking for is it's contribution for betterment of general driving experience for the public.
The home page where a new user lands up after hearing about team-bhp shows only a group/site where people discuss how they can modify/improve/go faster/discussions etc...
i believe there can be a prominent section where it promotes safe driving, advocates discipline and the like giving a good impression about bhpians. Some effort must be started to curb violations, road rage or blatant violations of rules, which must come from within the person behind the wheel!

Please do point me in the right direction if discussions on this topic exists.
Old 16th November 2009, 06:47   #2540
lsp
BHPian

This relates to the Classifieds section.
Could we have a rule/feature which would have the name of the city in front of every ad?
e.g.
DELHI - 2003 Hyundai Santro fro sale
MUMBAI - OHC for sale - low mileage
CHENNAI - Fiat Palio - urgent sale

I think it would make searching and viewing threads a real easy job for people. I personally wouldn't be interested in ads which are for cars in far away places
Old 16th November 2009, 11:17   #2541
Team-BHP Support

@ lsp: The classifieds section is due for an upgrade soon. Please wait and watch
Old 16th November 2009, 18:06   #2542
BHPian

Sometimes forum threads gets lengthier and does not really invite a new visitor

Dear Mods, sometimes i feel some of the threads gets lengthier and runs into several pages and for a new visitor it does not really enthuse to visit such pages. What i feel is that at most 4 to 5 pages of latest replies could be stored and rest could be moved to the database. It does make sense since old threads beyond 4 to 5 pages would be old and stale and will hardly be seen by the visitor.
Old 18th November 2009, 22:59   #2543
BHPian

Not sure if this was suggested earlier.. there's a limit to view 25 threads on a page, can we have an option where we can select a particular no. to view the threads? That option can be given in the "Edit Options" link or somewhere on the forum page?

Sometimes we have to navigate more pages because of this.
Old 18th November 2009, 23:14   #2544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
...My point is that typed english is a poor substitute for trust/intuition arising out of more direct communication!...
True -- but eventually that is the medium they will be using to communicate on the forum.

However, let me just say that quality of language is only one small part of what is looked for in new members. That's all the detail i would like to go into in this thread, but thank you for the suggestions and food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I feel that way too many people end up crapping threads with useless replies.
Nikhil, i think the answer might be a "thanks" system (we've discussed this earlier in the thread).

It would work something like this :
Name:  thanks.png
Views: 314
Size:  35.8 KB

Will try and take this forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurtazaGhiya View Post
Not sure if this has been already posted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Get about 325 of those every week ....
As mentioned - the new classifieds should take care of these issues as well as add a lot more. Please bear with us till then

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire View Post
...for "why team-BHP?" It clearly states that limit it to 60 words. On the other hand when you limit it to 60 words you are rejected. I finally wrote about a few hundred words and then was in....
You do have a point. The 60 word limit should either be enforced just as strictly or put across as a suggestion. Will try to change the template.

Though let me say that size of the note has little to do with member approval. Its the content that counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
....Many members here take pride in telling that they did some 150+ or 180+ KMPH on so and so road. This is illegal too. This should be highly discouraged as it conveys a wrong message...
To add to what GTO says, you could always Report Post when you feel that a posted action is crossing the line of safety and we will definitely look at it on a case-to-case basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Any update on images retaining EXIF data after T-Bhp logo overlay.
This has been discussed before in a couple of places -- but most large websites and forums DO scrub the EXIF data on purpose, especially if they are anonymous forums like this one.

Photography sites / forums might be the exception to this rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
... i am not able to locate where the aims and goals of team-bhp are documented....
Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - About Us
"We emphasize on road safety and make its significance communicated" -- also in the future we plan to devote an entire section to safety articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumya_Ramesh View Post
Dear Mods, sometimes i feel some of the threads gets lengthier ....
See my reply to Nikhil above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?ushk@r View Post
.... there's a limit to view 25 threads on a page, can we have an option where we can select a particular no. to view the threads?...
At the moment no. But if you use firefox, check out this add-on - autopager!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1421910

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th November 2009 at 23:22.
Old 18th November 2009, 23:28   #2545
Senior - BHPian

I don't know whether this has been suggested by other members, if so, please ignore these. It would be in better if replies are segregated in 'initial/long term ownership report', what i mean is, the viewer can toggle between posts from the thread starter and the non thread starter. As mentioned by Soumya Ramesh, it would become tedious going through all the posts and makes one lose interest
Old 19th November 2009, 06:40   #2546
BHPian

Hi,

Now that we are well past 50 K members and 1.5 millon posts, navigation is a bit tedious. My suggestion for the "Indian Cars" section, (as this is this is the most likely most visited section) is:

Currently we have
  • Test Drives & Initial Ownership
  • Long Term Ownership
  • Indian Car Dealership

How about we subdivide that by Car Manufacturers? For example under Test Drives & Initial Ownership we could have Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, etc..

I think that would make that section a bit more user friendly and organized.

Thanks,

Rajan
Old 19th November 2009, 07:14   #2547
Senior - BHPian

@Mods

The 'thanking' or 'repping' system gives the board a very very cluttered look.

Please take due consideration before going in for it.

Just my two cents.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:32   #2548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire View Post
....It clearly states that limit it to 60 words..... I finally wrote about a few hundred words and then was in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
You do have a point. The 60 word limit should either be enforced just as strictly or put across as a suggestion. Will try to change the template.
UPDATE : The word count increased to 80 and the instructions have been re-worded

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
...the viewer can toggle between posts from the thread starter and the non thread starter. ...
This has been mentioned before - and is something we could consider. But for now, maybe you could try searching within the thread for posts by the thread starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
How about we subdivide that by Car Manufacturers? For example under Test Drives & Initial Ownership we could have Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, etc..
Indeed something that has also been discussed in the past - and is definitely a possibility for the future. (An alternative is TAGS)

We try to maximize usability, minimize clutter (minimum required sub-sections) and still have the content well organized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
...The 'thanking' or 'repping' system gives the board a very very cluttered look....
Will keep that in mind during consideration.

Thanks,
R
Old 19th November 2009, 11:58   #2549
Distinguished - BHPian

The search engine is still buggy. I typed in honda accord v6 and it kept coming back with an error saying the search is too small, type in more than v6. Whenever i need to search teambhp, i always use google now and go advanced and search within team-bhp.com
Old 19th November 2009, 12:11   #2550
Team-BHP Support

Tejas,

Thats not quite a "bug" but more like a limitation. 2character words are not indexed for vbulletin search.

The alternative, as you said, is to use google -- however we've made that easier by integrating Google Custom Search on our site itself. Perhaps you have not seen it if you are using one of the older skins?

Instructions + Screenshots here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...p-members.html

cya
R

Most Viewed