Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 13:47   #2626
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Could the mods be a little relaxing in accepting new members? My colleague's request was turned down thrice. He was seriously looking for advice to buy a new car. He bought the ANHC. He was disappointed he couldnt get any mileage from here.
Current stats on the homepage is 429 members and 4K+ guests. i.e 90%+ non member usage. I feel a lot of people are waiting on the fence to join in
What's the criteria for accepting or rejecting members?
When I joined in 2007, I got in almost instantaneously.
Old 5th December 2009, 15:54   #2627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What's the criteria for accepting or rejecting members?
When I joined in 2007, I got in almost instantaneously.
I believe it was easier back then. The forum is more famous now and more people want to get in. Naturally, more people also get rejected.
Old 5th December 2009, 18:10   #2628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I think people are referring to advanced search features available on Google.
I'm not sure thats what clevermax meant, but nonetheless you have put forward a useful point. See similar request below :

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
If there was a way to sort the results (like in excel by clicking on the heading) this could be a great feature - i have seen this feature on other forums.
Agreed.
We will look into the possibilities of implementing this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Can I suggest one thing which bothers me a lot is that I need to keep refreshing the screen to get the latest update. Can the screen (any) be made auto refreshing say every 60 secs or 120 secs or something like that.
This was discussed earlier in this thread. I believe the solution was a firefox add-on for those who wish to auto-refresh.

Quote:
Also is there a possibility for a pop up from team BHP website after I have logged in to inform me about a reply to my post or any replies to my thread.
To add to what Technocrat mentioned : FAQ for subscribing to threads

Quote:
Also I am unable to switch from one subforum say Indian car dealership to longterm ownership directly with the forum Team BHP reviews instead I Have to go back to the main forum and swicth subforums.
There is an easier way :
Scroll to the bottom of the page. There is a dropdown that says "FORUM JUMP". You can use this to go straight to any other forum section!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Was wondering if we could have a "hall of fame" kind of thread by the Mods. The thread could include the following
Deky,

Check this out as well : The Team-BHP Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
How about a separate section where we can start threads on A.S.S experiences exclusively for each Brand.
I'm sure we will eventually organize this section, as well as the test-drives/ownerships sections, but we are still looking for the ideal solution.

More replies soon....

cya
R
Old 5th December 2009, 18:54   #2629
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicvj View Post
The ownership thread bulges a lot with congratulation, photo requests etc. Can we have dedicated button and users can click on them to say congrats or post pic? It can be like poll vote feature and we can show who are all the user who said congrats etc.
Some sort of "Thanks" button has been discussed earlier and is under consideration.

Quote:
We have subscribe to thread, can we include subscribe to user option as well. If I have a favorite review poster I can keep an eye
Once I enter a thread it becomes difficult to view photos alone of that thread, need to go back to the thread list and then click on attachments. Can we include this under thread tools?
Will let GTO address the possibility of these two points.

Quote:
I am using IE8 on XP - anyone else face this issue. I have faced this very frequently in the last few weeks.
I haven't heard of any other reports of this problem carboy. Exactly when does the page hang? During connecting to google ads? google analytics?

Quote:
Another thing - my original message was moved to this thread - I had created a separate thread I think.
Normally I get an automatic message that my post was moved, but this time I didn't get one!
When posts are moved you get a PM, when threads are merged, no PM is sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
i don't know if this has been address or not. MODS if it is adressed please delete this post. I had a request. For ex. In travelouges if a common section is made for different places then it will be easy for people to go through. For ex. Many people have gone to LEH,LADAKH,KULU MANALI and in south OOTY,KODAI,MUNNAR etc. If all these travelouges be arranged in these section it would be wonderful for many users.
More ways to search and organize vast amounts of data is always better -- and we do have some ideas for the travelogues section, but they will take some time.

For now, searching for a particular place (eg. "munnar") within the travelogues or route queries section gets very relevant results.

Quote:
Allow Posts to be tagged, so we can have tag clouds so that search can be easier. E:g CEDIA SPORTS
Indeed, this is another thing being considered. (See the last line of my earlier post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Almost every major forum out there, including i think every car forum, has a politics/bully pulpit section in their OT section. I think we need one too!
Mmmm..sorry, but i dont see this one happening in the near future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Could the mods be a little relaxing in accepting new members?....
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I believe it was easier back then. The forum is more famous now and more people want to get in. Naturally, more people also get rejected.
True - recently getting a Team-BHP membership has become more difficult, and this is due to certain requirements the situation has forced us to impose in order to be able to manage resources, quality and growth successfully for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Hi. Can the mods update the test drives section? Some cars, like the Laura for instance, haven't been updated in a long time. We have two or three owners of the new Laura so I'm sure there's enough data.
Once we have enough user-reviews submitted here, the portal review starts to be compiled.

Thanks,
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th December 2009 at 19:43.
Old 6th December 2009, 12:17   #2630
BHPian

New annoying Advertisements in Team-BHP

[EDIT]Saw Rehaan's reply in the previous page. Please step on your efforts to correct this. Like I said, most people understand the need for advertising. But just make sure that it does not deter anyone from browsing peacefully.[/EDIT]

I'm facing quite a lot of annoying advertisement popups in the site.

1. When I navigate from one page to another in any thread, a page with an advertisement comes up and makes me wait for 15 seconds with a timer and then goes to the next page
2. I'm getting constant popups from shaadi.com, yahoo and what not. I'm surprised that this by-passes the popup blocker, which means that a new hack must be used to popup these ads, which makes this a blacklisted method.

I do understand that this site cannot be run for free and needs ad revenues to fund it. Most users would not even mind if there was another banner on the bottom of the page or on the sides. But popups and page hijacks, please no. Refrain from this. Team-BHP talks of ethics often, and it's a unwritten ethic that good sites do not do page hijacks and ad popups. There's every opportunity that these can be exploited to infuse virii and malware.

If this was done on intention, I'm highly disappointed and may not browse as often as before, and only come to read what I want. If this was not intentional, please undo this and think about placing ads in other ways.

Last edited by tintin82 : 6th December 2009 at 12:26.
Old 6th December 2009, 12:25   #2631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin82 View Post
I'm facing quite a lot of annoying advertisement popups in the site.

1. When I navigate from one page to another in any thread, a page with an advertisement comes up and makes me wait for 15 seconds with a timer and then goes to the next page
2. I'm getting constant popups from shaadi.com, yahoo and what not. I'm surprised that this by-passes the popup blocker, which means that a new hack must be used to popup these ads, which makes this a blacklisted method.

I do understand that this site cannot be run for free and needs ad revenues to fund it. Most users would not even mind if there was another banner on the bottom of the page or on the sides. But popups and page hijacks, please no. Refrain from this. Team-BHP talks of ethics often, and it's a unwritten ethic that good sites do not do page hijacks and ad popups. There's every opportunity that these can be exploited to infuse virii and malware.

If this was done on intention, I'm highly disappointed and may not browse as often as before, and only come to read what I want. If this was not intentional, please undo this and think about placing ads in other ways.
If you would have gone through the rest of the thread, especially page no 175/post 2621, you will see that this issue has been acknowledged and being addressed. The fix may not be simple and may not happen instantly.
Old 6th December 2009, 12:31   #2632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
If you would have gone through the rest of the thread, especially page no 175/post 2621, you will see that this issue has been acknowledged and being addressed. The fix may not be simple and may not happen instantly.
I have edited my post to mention this.

If there were breaking changes to advertising delivery mechanism, I'd atleast like a mass PM from moderators regarding this change. It felt like the carpet was pulled from under our feet.
Old 6th December 2009, 12:37   #2633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin82 View Post
I have edited my post to mention this.

If there were breaking changes to advertising delivery mechanism, I'd atleast like a mass PM from moderators regarding this change. It felt like the carpet was pulled from under our feet.
Please read as the breaking changes not made by us, but by the service providers themselves. We were caught unawares ourselves, also since the issue is somewhat limited in nature. I for one, have never faced the ad which requires me to wait for 15 seconds before browsing further. Hence, we never felt the ground slip from beneath our feet.

Also, since the issue was being dealt with publicly on the Suggestions thread, and no major policy change, didn't really require the need for a mass PM.
Old 6th December 2009, 12:43   #2634
Senior - BHPian

Most of the pages hang for the first time at pubads.g.doubleclick.net. It requires a reload in order for the page to display. This wastes my bandwidth as well as the site's. I am using Google Chrome.
Old 6th December 2009, 13:11   #2635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Most of the pages hang for the first time at pubads.g.doubleclick.net. It requires a reload in order for the page to display. This wastes my bandwidth as well as the site's. I am using Google Chrome.
I noticed this happens on Firefox as well, when logging in for the first time. However, i have never noticed this when using IE.

P.S. : I use IE6.
Old 6th December 2009, 13:11   #2636
BANNED

^^^ As already one of the MOD said they are looking on it, i think the new advertisement feature (if any) meant only for the Guests users. If you have worries about the hijacks and malwares you can always check it only through google.

here is the link: Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.team-bhp.com
Old 6th December 2009, 15:06   #2637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Team-Bhp has a clean slate, but the network it's hosted on does not.

This is just an observation, nobody please infer this post any other manner.
Old 7th December 2009, 13:46   #2638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
We can assure you that we will prevent all pop-up or full page ads on Team-BHP as soon as possible.

** UPDATE **

Within a few hours, all the pop-ups and full page ads will have been prevented via the ad-network.

Regards,
R
Old 7th December 2009, 16:13   #2639
BHPian

Recommendation: A sub forum on safety

I'd like to recommend a sub -forum where we discuss, in a structured manner, all aspects of safety during driving.

I propose this after going through the thread on Accidents in India -Pics. The sights are horrific, so are the tragedies ( which are sometimes entirely avoidable by way of sane driving behaviour).

The first thread on the sub-forum on safety that I'd like to start is on survival when the car/vehicle is on fire. I'd like to invite suggestions by experts here for all models. If we can classify the survival steps based on each car model, viz. New Honda City, Maruti Wagon R and so on, it will help drivers and occupants of these models specifically. Also, with most cars equipped with central locking, occupants get trapped as the central locking doesn't allow quick egress.

Other threads could be on, say, 'Safe and correct ways to overtake on single laned roads'. Note that these threads have to be India specific, otherwise they would not be very practical.

Please start threads as follows please : ' Survival steps during fire - Maruti WagonR'.

Regards
Old 7th December 2009, 16:31   #2640
Senior - BHPian

General Rules

1)keep one fire extinguisher
2)Don't panic when something happens.(can tell this sitting in A/C room but in practicality it is impossible-But atleast the degree of panic should be less so that the co-passenger is not horrified)
3)Try to open the seatbelts and some out
4)If the vehicle has turned upside down then try breaking the glass and come out.

Just a sample of these. Expereinced people will contribute more to this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks