Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 00:13   #2866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Mods, reduce post count by '2' from pranavt

Yes, sometimes these "wow" comments seem to take away the seriousness of the issue.

My 2 cents worth -
some posts with pictures take a longer time to load. Bugs me whenever the connection is slow - especially at home during night time and holidays. Plus, these internet service providers seem to be charging you left, right and centre - is my viewing the picture getting loaded in downloads? So, I was thinking that the size of pictures may be standardised to 640*480 or 800*600 or 1200*800. In case I need to see the bigger picture, I can try to supersize it - a la the classified section where super sizing works very well.
Posts in the Shifting Gears section are not counted towards your postcount
Old 1st April 2010, 04:44   #2867
Senior - BHPian

Did we have an outage of some sort? The site was acting up - I got database error, something about a redirect loop, blank threads et all about an hour ago (3:45 am IST).

And no, am not playing the April 1st prank here!!
Old 1st April 2010, 05:30   #2868
BHPian

I back you up pho3n!x I had the same issue but on 30 March at around the same time. I received same "database error" error message for about 10-15 minutes but then it got back to normal. Don't know if this outage was "planned but not communicated" or just a typical server outage

EDIT: TBHP crashed on me again. Index page is missing once again. Now site is working but all the navigation on top of the forum pages is missing.

Last edited by Punzabi : 1st April 2010 at 05:37.
Old 1st April 2010, 05:42   #2869
BHPian

Sorry MODS for a 'back to back' post, just wanted to post the screenshot of forum with missing navigation.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-tbhp.jpg

and here is the screen shot of "Databas error" error message that I just received. I hope this'll help in troubleshooting the issue.

Attachment 319839

regards
Punzabi

Last edited by Punzabi : 1st April 2010 at 06:00.
Old 1st April 2010, 19:29   #2870
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ph03n!x & Punzabi, we had scheduled some trouble-shooting & upgrade work for last night; that's why those database errors were being temporarily thrown out.
Old 1st April 2010, 20:40   #2871
Senior - BHPian

Was there anything at about 430 PM ~ 5 PM today? I got the database error once, though it went off when I refreshed.
Old 2nd April 2010, 08:32   #2872
BHPian

No Issues, GTO. Just wanted to bring the outage to MODs' notice. If it was planned or you guys are aware of it, please disregard my posts..

Regards
Punzabi
Old 2nd April 2010, 18:01   #2873
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey, much appreciate the headsup!

You can expect them off & on over the next 7 days. Massive tuning going on at the backend; you could say that we're adding a "turbo" to our existing server Literally!
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:07   #2874
BHPian

Again, i feel like its my billionth time saying this, but we really need a politics/current events section in here. Every once in a while, topics come up that need discussion and under the current rules we cant do that; i.e like that Sania Mirza thread. I think this is one of the major forums on the web that doesnt allow political or news or current event discussions :(.
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:27   #2875
Senior - BHPian

Like we have mentioned earlier, we have no intention to allow discussions which are Political or Religious in nature. Thanks
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:49   #2876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Thanks for the headsup! Our designer has obviously overlooked putting the logo on the printable version. We will have it corrected.
The printable version of both BHP Silver and BHP Black are still showing the vBulletin logo.
Old 3rd April 2010, 21:27   #2877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Like we have mentioned earlier, we have no intention to allow discussions which are Political or Religious in nature. Thanks
i know it was mentioned earlier, but what is the reason?
Old 4th April 2010, 16:38   #2878
Senior - BHPian

Can we have a new section discussing restaurants, food joints, hotels?

I am aware of the below threads which are in Shifting gears section.
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR
A Guide: Eating out in Chennai
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta)
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad
A Guide: Eating out in Pune
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai
A Guide: Eating out in Mangalore/Udupi/Manipal
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore
A Guide : Eating out in Goa
A Guide: Eating out in Ahmedabad
A guide : Eating out in Kerala

I believe there should be a seperate section under Street and Travel Experiences dedicated for food and accomodation. Food is an integral part of travel, and hence not under Shifting gears, IMO.

Below thread too can be moved to this new section : Street and Travel Experiences > Travelogues > A thread on Accomodation & Rates

Please do not merge all the above threads into one all India thread ( you know what I mean). It will lose its relevance, and following the needed info would become difficult.
Old 4th April 2010, 17:07   #2879
BHPian

search at the forum/mainpage

I observe, that, when I search at the main page, the results are so very relevant!
but the same I try to do in the forum searches, its not so.
Well, forum search is good for User/date/time specific, but, you enter multiple strings, and it doesnt put up well..
eg. I searched forum search and main page for "i10 problems" <without quotes>
results:
Name:  forum.bmp
Views: 278
Size:  686.3 KB
kinda irrelevant also,

Name:  main page.bmp
Views: 265
Size:  688.2 KB
Thats good job there!

Smoothening this (forum search), would definitely result in lesser reposts, and thus, the mods and support could add even more gyaan to the forum and we learn better!

Search is our friend! afterall!!

Care.

Ace.
Old 4th April 2010, 22:33   #2880
BHPian

A small suggestion.

When a poster commits what is in my view a minor violation such as using excessive smilies, ellipsis or posting 'one-liners with no value', is it really necessary to edit the post with this in BOLD?:

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

I mean, I'd rather read a one-liner with no value or see some cute smilies than the Mod warning some other poster. Just dish out the infraction in private and be done with it. The reason for the post edit can be spelled out at the bottom in smaller, less bolder font.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the Mods' hard work in maintaining the quality of the forum and I am sure all rules were framed after quite some deliberation, but I can't help feeling that Team-BHP comes across as too much of a police state than I'd like. I also blame some members for this who sign their topics with stuff like: "Mods, sorry if the topic already exists, please merge or lock." or "Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move if so" or "Sorry for going off topic". Sheesh, guys, no one's going to shoot you, let the mods do their job

Also, can you consider lifting or relaxing the smilie restrictions? Two smilies for a long post is too little.

Last edited by tacho : 4th April 2010 at 22:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks