Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 16:44   #2881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Like we have mentioned earlier, we have no intention to allow discussions which are Political or Religious in nature. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
i know it was mentioned earlier, but what is the reason?
I'd have thought it's pretty obvious! Informed religious and political discussions call for a level of maturity and openness that's too much to expect from a variegated group in which many people would sooner drive over lemons than buckle up in the interests of safety. I'd say politics is still okay, but religion supposedly deserves a special "untouchable" status because it cannot be defended on the basis of logic or reason, only "faith". Agreed, it seems a wishy-washy way out, but it's the only effective way to prevent bigots from looking foolish. And they clearly need all the help they can get.
Old 5th April 2010, 16:53   #2882
BHPian

Can we categorize classified as per the states, atleast make it medatory to have location of the item in the heading. Or make the search available on location basis. I guess it will help.
Old 5th April 2010, 17:10   #2883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
I'd have thought it's pretty obvious! Informed religious and political discussions call for a level of maturity and openness that's too much to expect from a variegated group in which many people would sooner drive over lemons than buckle up in the interests of safety. I'd say politics is still okay, but religion supposedly deserves a special "untouchable" status because it cannot be defended on the basis of logic or reason, only "faith". Agreed, it seems a wishy-washy way out, but it's the only effective way to prevent bigots from looking foolish. And they clearly need all the help they can get.
hehe, a funny way to explain things . I know the mods keep saying no, but we really do need at least a current events/politics section. Religion, fine, we can leave that off. I really think Team BHP is one of the only major forums on the web that doesnt have a politics section in the Off Topic Area.
Old 5th April 2010, 17:34   #2884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but we really do need at least a current events/politics section. Religion, fine, we can leave that off. I really think Team BHP is one of the only major forums on the web that doesnt have a politics section in the Off Topic Area.
Any discussion on religion or politics tend to get emotional.

Such discussions do not tend to add value, as objectivity is lost. Often it turns out to be one personal opinion or upbringing against the other.

IMHO, it is better that religion/politics/similar subjects are kept out of the ambit.

Let alone these topics, even now, we see hot and emotional discussions happening on cars itself (like Honda fans vs Honda haters etc). From a long term point of view, these discussions do not add value.
Old 5th April 2010, 20:56   #2885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Any discussion on religion or politics tend to get emotional.

Such discussions do not tend to add value, as objectivity is lost. Often it turns out to be one personal opinion or upbringing against the other.

IMHO, it is better that religion/politics/similar subjects are kept out of the ambit.

Let alone these topics, even now, we see hot and emotional discussions happening on cars itself (like Honda fans vs Honda haters etc). From a long term point of view, these discussions do not add value.
true, but problem is, there is a LOT of crap going on right now in front of us and it behooves us to discuss it amongst the members. Otherwise the same cycle of complaining will go on and on. I just thought at least a politics/current events section would add some value, because on every indian discussion forum ive come across, none exists.
Old 5th April 2010, 23:28   #2886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
true, but problem is, there is a LOT of crap going on right now in front of us and it behooves us to discuss it amongst the members. Otherwise the same cycle of complaining will go on and on. I just thought at least a politics/current events section would add some value, because on every indian discussion forum ive come across, none exists.
If you can find the thread on homosexuality being legalised in India, please go through that once.
Old 6th April 2010, 02:57   #2887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
If you can find the thread on homosexuality being legalised in India, please go through that once.
I think I know which thread you are talking about and frankly, that was one of the handful of multi-page Team-BHP topics that I read from start to finish in one go. Yes, tempers flared, some members showed their ugly side with their backward-for-this-age views on homosexuality and I am one of those guys who enjoys watching a street-fight, but it didn't get locked, did it? A forum without friction can get boring.

I realize discussions on Politics and Religion can get very ugly very fast (example, the Youtube comment section fights between Indians and Pakistanis), but I trust the moderators enough to spot such trolls. And I hope the moderators in return trust the BHPians to act civilized.

And to CaliAtenza above who wanted at least a Politics section, I say that Politics and Religion are joined at the hip. We may discuss religion without talking politics but the other way round may not be possible all the time. So, my vote is for both.

PS: The above is in no way intended to mean that I am dying to share my ground-breaking views on the subjects. As always, I will lurk

Last edited by tacho : 6th April 2010 at 02:59.
Old 6th April 2010, 03:04   #2888
Team-BHP Support

Rp

There are a number of existing forums on religion and politics.

Why don't we leave those topics aside and concentrate on the topics that all of us joined Team-BHP to discuss i.e. cars, trucks, 4x4's, buses, motorcycles, etc.
Old 6th April 2010, 07:03   #2889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
A small suggestion.

When a poster commits what is in my view a minor violation such as using excessive smilies, ellipsis or posting 'one-liners with no value', is it really necessary to edit the post with this in BOLD?:

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

I mean, I'd rather read a one-liner with no value or see some cute smilies than the Mod warning some other poster. Just dish out the infraction in private and be done with it. The reason for the post edit can be spelled out at the bottom in smaller, less bolder font.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the Mods' hard work in maintaining the quality of the forum and I am sure all rules were framed after quite some deliberation, but I can't help feeling that Team-BHP comes across as too much of a police state than I'd like. I also blame some members for this who sign their topics with stuff like: "Mods, sorry if the topic already exists, please merge or lock." or "Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move if so" or "Sorry for going off topic". Sheesh, guys, no one's going to shoot you, let the mods do their job

Also, can you consider lifting or relaxing the smilie restrictions? Two smilies for a long post is too little.
I would disagree with you on the "police state" statement. Teambhp has been able to retain it's quality just because of the strict guidelines, and that is different from policing. Name one other forum(in India) that has so much content with such impeccable quality.

I have always maintained that automobiles are emotive subjects, passions run high, people have preferences for cars and manufacturers; for such a subject matter, these restrictions help to keep the discussion grounded with a sense of objectivity. For any post, I don't think more than one smiley is required, if you make a wise remark or crack a joke, you should be able to convey it using words.

The mods pointing out things in bold and editing posts in full view serve a dual purpose of transparency as well us a quick reminder to everyone else. This has to continue in its current form.

I particularly thought that the "Sheesh....job" remark was not thought through, true that no one would shoot you, but we owe it to the mods to make our own effort to make their job easier, by sticking to the guidelines. I have had my own posts removed/edited, and for a moment it seems like policing and a trifle unfair, but let it settle for a moment and take a good look around, more often than not, the mods get it right.
Old 6th April 2010, 08:02   #2890
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to Amartya's post.
Quote:
Amartya : I particularly thought that the "Sheesh....job" remark was not thought through, .. but we owe it to the mods to make our own effort to make their job easier, by sticking to the guidelines.
@tacho, the rules have been well thought out, and combined with a consistent application have helped TBHP be what it is today. I am highlighting a part of Amartya's post here because you are possibly not aware or seem to have missed the point that the mods do their part here more out of intrest & involvment in the forum. It is NOT their "job" - this is not their profession. What they do here in supporting the forum is over and above what they do in their personal lives & profession.

And to quote your own post : Yes, the mods trust the BHP-ians to follow the guidelines, and will only step in when BHP-ians step out (of these guidelines).
Quote:
tacho : And I hope the moderators in return trust the BHPians to act civilized.
Any place is as good as the people in it - if the people follow the guidelines, it only helps everyone and each one.

Last edited by condor : 6th April 2010 at 08:06.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:44   #2891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post

I particularly thought that the "Sheesh....job" remark was not thought through, true that no one would shoot you, but we owe it to the mods to make our own effort to make their job easier, by sticking to the guidelines. I have had my own posts removed/edited, and for a moment it seems like policing and a trifle unfair, but let it settle for a moment and take a good look around, more often than not, the mods get it right.
I was trying to make a wise crack and even had a stupid grin smiley at the end. Where did I ask the posters not to stick to the guidelines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
+1 to Amartya's post.
@tacho, the rules have been well thought out, and combined with a consistent application have helped TBHP be what it is today. I am highlighting a part of Amartya's post here because you are possibly not aware or seem to have missed the point that the mods do their part here more out of intrest & involvment in the forum. It is NOT their "job" - this is not their profession. What they do here in supporting the forum is over and above what they do in their personal lives & profession.
Yes, I knew (or at least thought) it wasn't their paid profession.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:51   #2892
BHPian

Mobile TBHP

Whenever I am trying to post a comment using m.teambhp.com it does not show up after I click the submit button and this only happens when I am using mobile skin provided in option, the moment I change it to some other skin it works absolutely fine.

Any idea why this is happening?

PS : I use a BlackBerry.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:51   #2893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
I was trying to make a wise crack and even had a stupid grin smiley at the end. Where did I ask the posters not to stick to the guidelines
I agree you didn't do that, but neither did I claim that you had asked poster's to NOT follow guidelines. My remark was connected to your initial premise of there being a "police state".

On a different note, I am glad you agree that there was a "stupid" grin smiley at the end, I agree completely.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:51   #2894
BHPian

Trying to post something using BHP Mobile theme. It didn't work from my mobile, this I'm trying through my computer.

EDIT: so looks like something is not working as it should when I try to reply using my mobile.

Last edited by Gandhi : 6th April 2010 at 11:52.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:57   #2895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
There are a number of existing forums on religion and politics.

Why don't we leave those topics aside and concentrate on the topics that all of us joined Team-BHP to discuss i.e. cars, trucks, 4x4's, buses, motorcycles, etc.
i know thats why we all joined here, but unfortunetly forums based in India do not want to discuss politics/religion/currents events etc or just clamp down really hard on those discussions. Other than Bharat-Rakshak, which is more military in nature and attracts people with more extremist views, i havent seen an Indian forum with a political section in its off topic area. Every other car based forum im a part of (save VWVortex) has a lively current events/politics section in their off topic area..but those are all US based forums. So many of us complain about this and that in our daily lives, but we dont have a forum outlet to discuss it. And by complaining, i dont mean about Honda and Toyota, i mean civil issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks