Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 13:51   #3016
Distinguished - BHPian

Can we have separate discussion threads for the cars? Currently all the discussion on cars like Punto, Polo and Figo is in the GTO's Testdrive threads, anyone looking for the testdrive experiences has to go through several hundred pages of offtopic discussions.
Old 18th May 2010, 14:30   #3017
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Can we a have thread "Know the Distinguished Bhpians" similar to "Know your Mods".?
Old 18th May 2010, 14:34   #3018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Hi
Can we a have thread "Know the Distinguished Bhpians" similar to "Know your Mods".?
Moreover, even the know your mods posts have become pretty much outdated now. Request the mods to update the thread (if possible) with what thier current profession is along with thier pics..
Can you please do that..
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:41   #3019
Senior - BHPian

In the accidents thread, and most recently in the thread on the Mangalore air crash, I see people posting messages to the effect "may the souls rest in peace".

Sadly, almost everyone has been posting them as "may the souls RIP" or "may the souls R.I.P."

I personally find it a very bad taste to abbreviate a term like this to mean an entirely different word such as RIP on such an occasion. With all respect to the wishes of the members posting these messages, can we stop this practice and start posting the full message?
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:30   #3020
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps you should mention this on the posting in English thread. There is nothing disrespectful in this abbreviation, which you will find on many British gravestones.

(I find it superfluous: it is not as if we wish anybody the opposite, and it often seems to be used for the more unlucky or outrageous accidents, rather like the expression "innocent victims")

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 22nd May 2010 at 14:37.
Old 22nd May 2010, 19:00   #3021
BHPian

Yeah, en-RIP-ping 'Rest in Peace' is quite common. Although I've always found it funny.
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:33   #3022
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I don't get it - why is RIP funny or disrespectfull or inappropriate?
I thought it's standard usage?
Old 24th May 2010, 15:49   #3023
BANNED

Not sure if this was asked before.

Is there some means of saving text of my report when I use the "report this post" feature? May be, t is possible to have a radio button which sends me the text of my report as a private message?
Old 24th May 2010, 16:12   #3024
Senior - BHPian

In the classified, the symbol of our currency is "Rp" which is not correct IMO.

It should be be either "Rs." or "INR".
Old 24th May 2010, 17:50   #3025
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Also the starting the date of the thread if visible in the list would be helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We feel that the date / time of the last post is more important than when the thread was created.
I know I am dragging out an old suggestion.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-fireshot-capture-008-tata-sky-dth-broadbandforum_in_tataskydth.jpg

In the above, the last posted date as well as the thread starting date is seen.

Many a times I open a thread thinking that it has been started new (based on the last posted date) and find that it could be years old.

Since it is just a display thing, it should be easy to incorporate and would only help.
Old 24th May 2010, 19:37   #3026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I don't get it - why is RIP funny or disrespectfull or inappropriate?
I thought it's standard usage?
This feeling of funniness has it's roots in times when I didn't know what RIP stands for. I always was curious as to why do the English wanna rip their dead....
Old 24th May 2010, 20:01   #3027
Distinguished - BHPian

We rip our DVDs, we rip our dead...

I sense moderators approaching with the off-topic axe!
Old 26th May 2010, 09:31   #3028
Senior - BHPian

I had earlier posted about some changes to the classifieds section, and the mods replied that the classifieds section is being overhauled and the new section would have these features. So far the overhaul hasn't taken place, it seems.

In the meanwhile, can we have two changes incorporated as default in the classifieds:

1. When I click on the Classifieds link, the "sold" items should be suppressed automatically. It serves no purpose. This change can be done without putting in place a new classifieds module, IMO.

2. Add a field for location/city and state where the vehicle is. This field should also be shown in the list page of the classifieds (along with the ad header, price etc.) This way if I want to see ads only from Mumbai, I can at least sort on the Location/City column and then see all Mumbai vehicles in one place. I would have preferred a filter on the City/State, but while that may take additional time, this is easier to implement, again IMO.
Old 28th May 2010, 19:04   #3029

Do any of the other newbies find team-bhp as intimidating as I do? To be honest, I'm quite mortified to ask a question for the fear that it will not be approved.
I have noticed this with a couple of colleagues too, who just browse the forum and never really do post/reply. While this may keep the forum clean, dont you think it will also decrease the amount of information that is shared on the site?

Maybe I'm the only one, maybe I'm not, lets see...

No disrespect to the mods (before i get kicked out), i know you guys are just trying to keep the forum clean and non-repetitive.
Old 28th May 2010, 19:45   #3030
Team-BHP Support

What makes you post that david? As far as the topics are relevant and appropriate for the discussions for an "Automotive Forum" which we are, i don't think anyone from mod team or members (Report post) will object.

When it comes to sensitive topics and offtopic discussions, we do prefer to keep it off the forum. Since it doesn't really add value and most often becomes a general chit/chat and sometimes even gets into "dangerous uninformed advices", which we as an Automotive forum wouldn't like to be associated with.

Most Viewed