Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2010, 11:52   #3061
BHPian

I am sure many of the BHPians must have failed atleast a few times to register themselves as BHPians. I was approved as a member in my third attempt.

I use 2 genuine email id's and since both my id's were rejected, I had to create a dummy email id to re- register. Now that I am a member, when i try to edit my email id's to one of my genuine id's, it says email id already exists in database.

Mods, is it possible to delete the details and informations of rejected entries from the database? I think these details are obsolete and deleting them could help in saving some server space ( am not sure)
Old 6th June 2010, 12:11   #3062
BHPian

I do think that the mods delete email ids after rejecting them. I got in on my 2nd attempt using the same email id.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:21   #3063
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
One suggestion i want to make is a separate section for all the detailed test drive thread
This has already been raised (and answered) earlier. Once the Mod Team has tested enough cars to warrant a new sub-section, it shall be created. You should probably expect the same in 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I noticed that some of the ads in the classified sections seem to be commercial - i.e. someone running a business & using team-bhp classified as one more avenue for sale. Is this allowed?
While dealers are permitted to use the classifieds section, they still have to adhere to our policies. For instance, only 1 product per ad. Please report that ad to the Mods, we'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
There is no way to know if you have participated in the thread, unless you go to User CP and view your posts, or you remember which threads you have replied in. This is inconvenient. Ideally, one should look at the forum thread view and get to know if he has participated in the thread or not.
How hard is it to remember which thread you have posted in . Please PM me a link to the other forum you are talking about. I'll take a look (though, my first guess is they are using a newer version of the software).

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Many members don't seem to be using the delete ad facility for items sold off. I can understand that while it is encouraged, it wouldn't be too productive if you went through each and every ad and ask the poster to delete it.
Hold on for a li'l bit longer. The new classifieds section is way more user-friendly, has plenty of additional features and will give you more than you asked for. Final touches are being added as I type this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Mods, is it possible to delete the details and informations of rejected entries from the database? I think these details are obsolete and deleting them could help in saving some server space ( am not sure)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
I do think that the mods delete email ids after rejecting them. I got in on my 2nd attempt using the same email id.
Done. As Echo posted, rejected members are now hard deleted from the system. They can thus use the same handle, email address etc. in their subsequent attempts.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:26   #3064
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While dealers are permitted to use the classifieds section, they still have to adhere to our policies. For instance, only 1 product per ad. Please report that ad to the Mods, we'll look into it.
This was in the gadget section where commercial classifieds aren't permitted at all. I reported it & it did get removed.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:03   #3065
BHPian

Quote:

Done. As Echo posted, rejected members are now hard deleted from the system. They can thus use the same handle, email address etc. in their subsequent attempts.
@GTO,
I guess my first attempt in registering (handle:mitg email: X@gmail.com) created almost a year ago hasn't got any response.
With my second attempt (handle:thematrix), i got a response saying that I have been rejected.
With my third attemp (handle :zteg), I was approved. Now for this, i had to create a dummy email id's since my genuine id's were already used for the previous attempts.
Now I want to change my current email id to X@gmail.com and i am not allowed to do so.

is it because there has not been any action taken on the handle mitg and it still exists in the system?

Zteg
Old 7th June 2010, 12:37   #3066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I want to be able to read my subscribed threads using RSS much like we have for newly created threads.
Perhaps another mod can help you with this - i've never used RSS.

Cheers,
R
I am still waiting for the answer to my request.
Old 7th June 2010, 13:40   #3067
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mods,

My query is with regard to the Report part. I have reported few posts which I thought to be spams. But I have not noticed them been acted upon, chances are the mods would have felt they dont need to be acted upon, but is there a way I know someone has read my Reporting. I know its a demanding task, but I need to know if my reporting is helping or not.
Old 7th June 2010, 14:41   #3068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How hard is it to remember which thread you have posted in . Please PM me a link to the other forum you are talking about. I'll take a look (though, my first guess is they are using a newer version of the software).
Have a look at India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com. Also a vBulletin site. Upgraded recently, I believe, but nothing new about this functionality

PS... could that T-BHP watermark on upload pics be made optional!
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot1.jpg  

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th June 2010 at 14:50. Reason: uploading a pic with a gap the bottom for that watermark!
Old 10th June 2010, 22:18   #3069
BHPian

I have noticed that my post count shows 196 whereas my actual post count is 154.
Old 11th June 2010, 00:35   #3070
BHPian

Quote:
Just got so much used to the feature on the private forum, so I thought it would be very handy for everyone else as well.

We were on ezboard about a decade back, and using vbulletin since the last 4-5 years. The feature was always present.

From this page, the feature was existing since at least 2005:
http://www.vbhackers.com/f22/replied-thread-icon-1305/

This looks like it (but I may be wrong):
http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/posticon

Here is another option we have: hot threads - you can set threads with more than say 100 replies as hot threads
http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/options_forumdisplay

Btw on another request, here is how to turn RSS on (it is up to the mods - if I were one, I would either say NO to it or only give out minimal info in the rss feed with a link to the thread)
http://theos.in/internet/howto-add-vbulletin-rss-feed/

Last edited by echo77 : 11th June 2010 at 00:48.
Old 11th June 2010, 00:45   #3071
Senior - BHPian

Cookies ??

Here's something interesting I have found:

I had changed the forum skin to "Standard Blue" quite a few weeks back. Day before yesterday I cleared my browser temp files and cookies, and the forum skin for me has been reset to BHP Black. Funnily the name of the skin in the dropdown is currently shown as "BHP Silver".

Does it mean the forum skin setting is being saved in a browser cookie, and not stored along with the member profile in the database?

Also I think the logic of implementing skins has got some disconnect, as the skin loaded onto the webpages and the skin name shown in the dropdown are different for me.

I have attached a JPEG screenshot of the same (~99kb).

OMG, after posting this reply, I tried changing from the BHP Silver to BHP Black, which is the skin loaded in the browser. Then I changed back to BHP Silver and the skin doesn't change at all (though the page is posted back). Out of curiousity I checked all the skin options. Each of them works except two. The BHP Silver skin changes the skin back to BHP Black. And to my horror, after I set the skin to BHP Mobile, I am unable to switch back to any other skin option! The moment I select another skin option, the page submits and loads back with the BHP Mobile skin.

I cleared the browser history again, and reopened the forum page. I am asked to login. The second screenshot shows the login screen. I am unable to read the text highlighted in the yellow rectangle. Can this be fixed in the skin?
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-tbhpskin.jpg  

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-tbhploginscreen.jpg  

Last edited by honeybee : 11th June 2010 at 00:54.
Old 11th June 2010, 03:56   #3072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
I have noticed that my post count shows 196 whereas my actual post count is 154.
Posts in some non automotive sections like Shifting Gears are not counted.
Old 11th June 2010, 06:51   #3073
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Here's something interesting I have found:

I had changed the forum skin to "Standard Blue" quite a few weeks back. Day before yesterday I cleared my browser temp files and cookies, and the forum skin for me has been reset to BHP Black. Funnily the name of the skin in the dropdown is currently shown as "BHP Silver".

Does it mean the forum skin setting is being saved in a browser cookie, and not stored along with the member profile in the database?
Honeybee, the skin setting was always stored as a cookie, and wasnt linked to the member profile settings. If a guest login is used, and one sets the choice of skin to a particular setting, if the cookie is not deleted, even the next time the forum is accessed, the same skin setting is used.
Old 11th June 2010, 14:30   #3074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Honeybee, the skin setting was always stored as a cookie, and wasnt linked to the member profile settings. If a guest login is used, and one sets the choice of skin to a particular setting, if the cookie is not deleted, even the next time the forum is accessed, the same skin setting is used.
From a user experience point of view, it seems to be incorrect. If I have customized a server application to my needs, the application should remember the setting. Every time I log into the application, no matter from which machine, I should see the application just the way I have customized it.
Old 11th June 2010, 19:48   #3075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Posts in some non automotive sections like Shifting Gears are not counted.
Which means his 'official' post count should show up as a number less than 154? Not 196?

Most Viewed