Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 22:19   #3076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Posts in some non automotive sections like Shifting Gears are not counted.
I meant that though my actual post count is 154 my profile is showing 194.

Here are some screen shots for reference.

Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 405
Size:  672.1 KB
Post count shown by my profile.

Name:  untitled1.bmp
Views: 422
Size:  616.6 KB
Actual post count.
Old 13th June 2010, 01:35   #3077
BHPian

Suggestions

Creating few sub forums in the shifting gears section would reduce the number of pages of threads.
1. Entertainment subforum which covers all threads relating to movies, music, sports events (cricket, football, CWG) and games/gaming console,
2.off late there are many threads on health/hospital issues that cam be put together in a sub forum
3. all birthday (and other) wishes threads can be pooled together, since there are one or two threads in each page of the section

Last edited by benkey2 : 13th June 2010 at 01:38.
Old 13th June 2010, 16:42   #3078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
I meant that though my actual post count is 154 my profile is showing 194.

Here are some screen shots for reference.

Post count shown by my profile.
Actual post count.
Its opposite in my Case,Count in search results shows 18xx,here it shows 15xx.
Old 13th June 2010, 19:00   #3079
Team-BHP Support

Answers answers answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
1. Automatically remove the ad....

2. Enable users to click+sort the ads ...
Both these features are available on the upcomming version of TBHP Classifieds. Hang tight!

Quote:
...last night I had a dream I had received an infraction for making long posts!!
I can make your dreams come true

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
...I use 2 genuine email id's and since both my id's were rejected, I had to create a dummy email id to re- register....
To elaborate on what GTO said, from ~ August 2009 onwards, email IDs of unapproved members are no longer retained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Now I want to change my current email id to X@gmail.com and i am not allowed to do so.

is it because there has not been any action taken on the handle mitg and it still exists in the system?
1) Could you please use the Contact Us form for the request to delete your previous un-approved ID.

2) All earlier (than ~Aug 2009) un-approved IDs are still retained in the system as those members can still avail of certain advantages, for eg. subscriptions, classifieds listings, new posts functionality, captcha-free search, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
...chances are the mods would have felt they dont need to be acted upon, but is there a way I know someone has read my Reporting. I know its a demanding task, but I need to know if my reporting is helping or not.
I can assure you that your Reported Posts are always looked at. (Thanks for helping out btw).

Reported posts show up as new threads in the support forum. When an issue is resolved, or its decided that no action is needed, the thread is closed.

Periodically, we make sure that no threads have been overlooked / left open. So you can be sure your reports have been seen.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th June 2010 at 19:14.
Old 13th June 2010, 19:13   #3080
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
PS... could that T-BHP watermark on upload pics be made optional!
Sorry - unlikely!
Tip - if you upload an image wider than 800 pixels, it shows the thumbnail sans watermark. However, this also means the image gets resized, which can cause some fuzzyness in the case of text etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
I have noticed that my post count shows 196 whereas my actual post count is 154.
Read what i said about Reported Posts in my last post. Should give you a clue...

Quote:
Day before yesterday I cleared my browser temp files and cookies, and the forum skin for me has been reset to BHP Black.
Cookies store the "on the fly" preference - (ie chosen from the dropdown at the bottom of each page).

To hard-set a preference for the default skin used for your account - go to your User CP.
The default forum skin is "BHP Silver".

Quote:
the skin loaded onto the webpages and the skin name shown in the dropdown are different for me.

I have attached a JPEG screenshot of the same (~99kb).
The skin shown in your screenshot is "BHP Silver".

Quote:
OMG, ...
Please clear your cookies and then let us know if the problem persists.

Quote:
I am unable to read the text highlighted in the yellow rectangle. Can this be fixed in the skin?
Minor bug with that skin. You can select the text to view it

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Honeybee, the skin setting was always stored as a cookie, and wasnt linked to the member profile settings. If a guest login is used, and one sets the choice of skin to a particular setting, if the cookie is not deleted, even the next time the forum is accessed, the same skin setting is used.
As mentioned above, cookie works for guests etc -- but members can also link a skin to their login via the User CP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkey2 View Post
Creating few sub forums in the shifting gears section would reduce the number of pages of threads.
Benkey2, it is something that has been suggested a few times, and we have considered it too -- but to be honest, we've got a LOT of sections / sub-sections already, and we only add more when absolutely needed + when it brings lots of additional value. Adding more sub-sections to a non-core section is not something we are too keen on.

(OT: Do you know that the final size an aligator grows to is determined by the size of its surroundings / tank).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Its opposite in my Case,Count in search results shows 18xx,here it shows 15xx.
Posts in certain sections (eg. shifting gears etc) are not counted. See the Team-BHP FAQs for more details.

cya
R
Old 13th June 2010, 23:57   #3081
BHPian

I would really appreciate if the mobile interface for T-BHP is integrated using the tapatalk plugin. It only requires the installation of a .dll file on the server and provides a nice and fast interface for browsing the forums on a mobile device and is free. This system is already up and running on the Indian site erodov.com and works well. Will make keeping in touch with our favourite site so much easier.
Old 14th June 2010, 00:59   #3082
Senior - BHPian

In line with the previous post, I recommend BerryBlab for BB owners. And it's a simple vBulletin plugin, not a dll
Old 14th June 2010, 01:30   #3083
Senior - BHPian

I've come across cases of stereotyping where-in even one or few negative opinions make the entire organization or product or service flawed, which I believe is unethical on our part as customers. Certain examples like AC of i20, Michelin tyres etc. do have genuine grievances but the aftermath of these genuine posts is that certain members who haven't obtained services of the organization or product in concern, post in a manner which negatively stereotypes the organization or product. I went against one such stereotype, bought Michelins and I'm satisfied with them.

A recent example being a BHPian who wasn't entertained on the phone as per his wishes for a query which was against the business practices of the organization and resultant post by a third member bashing the organization which has a good track record with BHPians. The organization in concern is a National Distributor and in business, these distributors and manufacturers generally don't entertain people over the phone, a practice which we as customers are used to when we deal with retailers. One should understand the differences in how business dealings are conducted by a Manufacturer, Distributor and Re-seller before posting negative about them. Even though I stand to gain no benefit or incur loss on account of any post but genuinely feel bad as I very well understand the pain it takes to build a name and how easy it is to lose business because of inappropriate posts by few members who haven't even interacted with the said organization or used the product in concern or availed the concerned service.

If we expect the businesses to be ethical in their dealings, we should act in the same manner.

Last edited by tsk13 : 14th June 2010 at 01:34.
Old 14th June 2010, 04:14   #3084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
I've come across cases of stereotyping where-in even one or few negative opinions make the entire organization or product or service flawed, which I believe is unethical on our part as customers. Certain examples like AC of i20, Michelin tyres etc. do have genuine grievances but the aftermath of these genuine posts is that certain members who haven't obtained services of the organization or product in concern, post in a manner which negatively stereotypes the organization or product. I went against one such stereotype, bought Michelins and I'm satisfied with them.

A recent example being a BHPian who wasn't entertained on the phone as per his wishes for a query which was against the business practices of the organization and resultant post by a third member bashing the organization which has a good track record with BHPians. The organization in concern is a National Distributor and in business, these distributors and manufacturers generally don't entertain people over the phone, a practice which we as customers are used to when we deal with retailers. One should understand the differences in how business dealings are conducted by a Manufacturer, Distributor and Re-seller before posting negative about them. Even though I stand to gain no benefit or incur loss on account of any post but genuinely feel bad as I very well understand the pain it takes to build a name and how easy it is to lose business because of inappropriate posts by few members who haven't even interacted with the said organization or used the product in concern or availed the concerned service.

If we expect the businesses to be ethical in their dealings, we should act in the same manner.
While what you say is absolutely true, it is almost impossible to stop it. One hopes that the quality of teambhp will eventually weed out these posts.
That being said, I'd also be interested to know whether you have any insights as to how we can approach the problem. For example, have individual posts with Agree/Disagree buttons, then, giving a member an option of taking a look at a thread based on decreasing number of "Agrees". This is not an option, as it will destroy the Q and A nature of most threads.

Share some ideas, sometimes these often impossible problems churn out solutions.
Old 14th June 2010, 08:06   #3085
Senior - BHPian

I cant Access Classified section
getting this error.

Warning: mysql_connect() [[COLOR=#0066cc]function.mysql-connect[/COLOR]]: Access denied for user 'rushabh_vb'@'172.17.6.12' (using password: YES) in /classifieds/pp-inc.php on line 179
I cannot connect to the PhotoPost Classifieds database. [$php_errormsg]
Old 14th June 2010, 08:39   #3086
Distinguished - BHPian

@Akshay, the issue is being looked into, and is possibly connected to the upgrade we are going through.
Quote:
tsk13 : I've come across cases of stereotyping where-in even one or few negative opinions make the entire organization or product or service flawed, which I believe is unethical on our part as customers.

... genuine grievances but the aftermath of these genuine posts is that certain members who haven't obtained services of the organization or product in concern, post in a manner which negatively stereotypes the organization or product.

I went against one such stereotype, bought Michelins and I'm satisfied with them.

@TSK13, valid observations. Like @Amartya said, it is not always possible to stop a person who thinks like that, from thinking so. A person needs to evaluate his options, and make his own decisions - and accept responsibility for his decisions. But as we all know, this is not often the case. Going with the herd is quite a common behaviour pattern. In situations like what you have described, I do hope that saner sense prevails. Hopefully, on TBHP, it is possible and will.

Last edited by condor : 14th June 2010 at 08:47.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:25   #3087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Read what i said about Reported Posts in my last post. Should give you a clue...

So that means the post count shown in my profile is,
Total posts - posts in section such as Shifting gears + no. of posts reported by me
Correct?

So maybe the warning or the infraction that you got may just be beacuse i had reported your post!
Old 14th June 2010, 15:05   #3088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
While what you say is absolutely true, it is almost impossible to stop it. One hopes that the quality of teambhp will eventually weed out these posts.
That being said, I'd also be interested to know whether you have any insights as to how we can approach the problem. For example, have individual posts with Agree/Disagree buttons, then, giving a member an option of taking a look at a thread based on decreasing number of "Agrees". This is not an option, as it will destroy the Q and A nature of most threads.

Share some ideas, sometimes these often impossible problems churn out solutions.
One very valid and practiced method is that of polls, but sometimes they can be misleading if those who haven't availed that service respond. Anyhow, in every section we do have BHPians who're highly experienced and knowledgeable, I've high regard for what they say. Since I'm most of the time involved in Tyres and Alloy Wheels I look upto Nikhilb2008, iraghava, kpzen etc.

Agree and disagree buttons depend on whether this forum (I mean the Forum Service provider) has some solutions for it or not. But your suggestion is a very valid point which if practiced can weed out misconceptions but the drawback you mentioned is surely harmful to conduct a healthy discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@TSK13, valid observations. Like @Amartya said, it is not always possible to stop a person who thinks like that, from thinking so. A person needs to evaluate his options, and make his own decisions - and accept responsibility for his decisions. But as we all know, this is not often the case. Going with the herd is quite a common behaviour pattern. In situations like what you have described, I do hope that saner sense prevails. Hopefully, on TBHP, it is possible and will.
I've seen that inapt inferences only prevail on TBHP in the short-term and fade out in the long run, one example being of Michelin tyres but even the short-term impact due to certain posts (that too very limited) have a far reaching impact than the positive ones. In the end as you said, saner sense shall prevail.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:53   #3089
Distinguished - BHPian

Could we have a Next at the end of this block? It would be easier to hit than the page number.

(Oh! Why no paper-clip icon to insert the attachment here? Where's it gone?)

Could the read-posts thing be revisited too? So that the read-next-unread doesn't take us to posts which we did just read. On Indiamike.com it is instantaneous.

This is also a perfect example of why making the T-BHP watermark optional would be good!
Attached Images

Old 14th June 2010, 15:58   #3090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This is also a perfect example of why making the T-BHP watermark optional would be good!
If the watermark can't be made optional, there can be a transparency like 40% to the watermark so that the details below is visible. Transparency can be 0% for bigger images, but for smaller ones like this, it can be increased.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks