Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 14:45   #3196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Hell, mine is the worst, half my email ID came in by mistake and i am first in the queue to change it. But rules are rules.
I've always wondered why you selected such a weird login name.

Glad to know that it happened by mistake.

Rohan
Old 30th August 2010, 15:04   #3197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Glad to know that it happened by mistake.

Rohan
Same here. After reading about the experiences of an OTR, someone mentioned that Tejas was a dentist, 'perio' immediately made sense (periodontist). Took me a while to figure out "impl".
Old 30th August 2010, 22:43   #3198
BHPian

Quote:
Classifieds are being completely revamped. Have patience. You'll be very happy with the new version.
You guys probably would have thought of including it but still thought I'd mention it. Pls include a column for "City". Right now, one never knows which city is the car in until I open the post's page.

Regards
Old 30th August 2010, 23:05   #3199
BHPian

Mods I know I have just made a post a couple of minutes back. But please don't merge the two posts. I'd like it to be separate and hope to catch the attention of GTO and Distinguished & Senior BHPians:

I am a Newbie. Have recently purchased a used Accent CRDi. Until 6 months ago, I knew zilch about cars. All the knowledge that I have gained about cars has been through this forum. You get the picture of the sort of person I am describing? I'm sure quite a few Newbies & probably some new "BHPians" too would fall in this category.

Now, at the time of servicing my car, when I go to the mechanic/*** at the time of delivery, I don't know if they have done what they had promised they would do and charged me for it. When I drive my car, I can't possible diagnose what is the fault if some jarring noise etc. is coming. Essentially, after reading this forum, I can tell the mmechanic what to do but with my knowledge I can't verify whjether he's done it. Even otherwise, I would like to know more about the functioning of the car, how various parts work together some basics of the engine.

I know, you'll say that I should read through the technical section but it only tells me what part does what but I don't know where is the part exactly located. Basically, theoretical vs. practical.

Is it possible that some Moderators/Distinguished/Senior BHPians maybe hold a practical session one of these Sundays? I know all of you must be busy with your jobs & life generally, but I'm sure you can take out a Sunday once maybe in a quarter. It'll be a real knowledge session for some of us, I'm sure.

I also know that the car is an unending experience but you can help us with the protective gear before we take the plunge.

And finally, ofcourse, I know that if I have a passion for something I should be able to find out a way to achieve it by myself. Well, all I can say is: Isnt that the concept of 15 yrs approx of education that each one of us have. We're prepared for a bit in a structured classroom environment and after that we go out in the world and go where our calling takes us. But, that classroom education is essential.

Seniors, can't a car practical session be organised one of these Sundays?
Old 1st September 2010, 10:16   #3200

Review fuel stations?

Hi,
I was wondering if we could have a section for reviewing/evaluating fuel stations at major metros.
Users could rate(and narrate) their experiences at various fuel stations.. and arrive at a resultant figure.
Once this picks up, the adulteration / meter tampering / cheating incidents will come in the open and eventually the Oil majors would be forced to take action.

Thoughts?
Old 1st September 2010, 10:58   #3201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by octeon2 View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if we could have a section for reviewing/evaluating fuel stations at major metros.
Users could rate(and narrate) their experiences at various fuel stations.. and arrive at a resultant figure.
Octeon, there already are threads dedicated to petrol pumps and their reviews in the TBHP Directory section, which are quite active as well. you could use those to post your review and experience, as well as read through the experiences of other members.

Here is one such thread for Bangalore :
Link
Old 1st September 2010, 11:03   #3202
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
As to the cars in public though... is it a rule? Or is just a courtesy?
Courtesy. As long as the car was shot on a public road, there is no need for us to enforce blanking out the plates, unless its a supercar / exotic (which can attract attention for all the wrong reasons). Easy to find out the owner's postal address / contact details via some RTO websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post
I came across a couple of users who had "BANNED" written as their status msg. I thought, Wow! this is a really cool status msg. When I join TBHP, I too will have my status as "BANNED".

Quote:
Sorry, rules specify that it can't be changed. Otherwise many users would want it and then it would create chaos. Hell, mine is the worst, half my email ID came in by mistake and i am first in the queue to change it. But rules are rules.
Tell me about it. Sometimes, I wish I'd chosen "RUSH" as my handle. Rules are rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
My query is still unanswered .
Sorry, no such provision in the RSS feeds functionality.

Quote:
You guys probably would have thought of including it but still thought I'd mention it. Pls include a column for "City". Right now, one never knows which city is the car in until I open the post's page.

Regards
Done. You can expect this to be implemented soon.

Quote:
Is it possible that some Moderators/Distinguished/Senior BHPians maybe hold a practical session one of these Sundays?
Team-BHP's philosophy has always insisted on archiving information on the public forum. That's one of the reasons why we ask members to avoid exchanging advice / tips via PM. Reason? Information posted on the forum will stay archived forever, and thus will be helpful to innumerable members & guests.

Similarly, a workshop will only help those people who are present. 20? 50 tops? Instead, all of us should focus on creating helpful threads that can be of assistance to thousands of members & guests alike. I don't see any topic that can be covered in a workshop and not on the forum.

If you have a suggestion on Advice Threads, please use the "contact us" form.

Quote:
We have several city-specific threads on petrol pumps. You may continue with your evaluations in one of them.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:08   #3203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seniors, can't a car practical session be organised one of these Sundays?
Well. It's a good thought. But difficult to implement. I think such steps should be done by car companies / driving schools / or bodies like the WIAA.

There may be a lot of ego clashes if such events are held also. Having said that, we 4x4 guys do hold "garage sessions" on many a occasion. However, these are more to do with jeeps and technical discussions.

However, you can always create a thread and clear your doubts.

Quote:

Regards
Wait.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Same here. After reading about the experiences of an OTR, someone mentioned that Tejas was a dentist, 'perio' immediately made sense (periodontist). Took me a while to figure out "impl"
I'm glad it cleared the air. Every tbhp meet, i'm always asked this question.

Quote:
Hi,
Once this picks up, the adulteration / meter tampering / cheating incidents will come in the open and eventually the Oil majors would be forced to take action.

Thoughts?
Go to the team-bhp directory: Team-BHP Directory - Team-BHP

Under every city, there is a thread on petrol pumps.

For example:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...-new-post.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ps-mumbai.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html

EDIT: Oops, GTO & Benny have also answered while i was posting my reply

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 1st September 2010 at 11:11. Reason: see edit
Old 1st September 2010, 13:09   #3204
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO, Thanks for the answer on number plates. On the rare occasions I upload a photo, I'll remember to be courteous too!
Old 1st September 2010, 23:10   #3205
BHPian

Drinking and driving is a strict no-no and TBHP encourages safe driving. Posts that even have a hint of 'fermented barley' is deleted/edited. Driving under influence is dangerous to both, the driver and the fellow citizens. Similar is the case of underage driving. Then why aren't posts on TBHP mentioning underage driving deleted/edited? This is a general post and not aimed at anyone in particular.

Last edited by prateekm : 1st September 2010 at 23:13.
Old 2nd September 2010, 09:35   #3206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Then why aren't posts on TBHP mentioning underage driving deleted/edited? This is a general post and not aimed at anyone in particular.
Prateek, please do report such posts, they would be attended to.
Old 2nd September 2010, 10:09   #3207
Senior - BHPian

I do not know whether this is right question to be asked in this thread.

During past one year, I observed that few of Distinguished BHPians title was stripped off from few of the BHPians, or it is my illusion. Please clarify.

I hope, I will not get infraction asking such question in this thread.
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:59   #3208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I do not know whether this is right question to be asked in this thread.

During past one year, I observed that few of Distinguished BHPians title was stripped off from few of the BHPians, or it is my illusion. Please clarify.

I hope, I will not get infraction asking such question in this thread.
I have noticed that some new members pick user names which are very similar to the user names of distinguished members.

May be, you got confused because of such similar user names or similar Avatar image.

I am not 100% sure about this, but it seems very unlikely that a distinguished member would be converted to non-distinguished member.

Rohan
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:11   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
We're on same boat brother! And yes, I had observed the same too.

Quote:
May be, you got confused because of such similar user names or similar Avatar image
I beg to differ with you Rohan.

As a matter of fact I know a T-BHPian whose Distinguished BHPian title was stripped off. Yes, he is no more Distinguished BHPian!

Don't know why he lost his Distinguished BHPian title!

PS: I ain't interested in revealing the name of that T-BHPian as it might invite an infraction from the Mods

Amith
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:50   #3210
Team-BHP Support

Well im guessing some bhpians post less on the forum or dont have enough time to devote to the forum hence they are no longer distinguished bhpians. No point in having d-bhpians if they dont post right?

Most Viewed