Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 18:37   #3406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Apart from the TBHP stickers would it be feasible to produce some branded material for the car interiors too?
For example, there could be a sign hanging at the back of the front seat with something to the tune of (but funnier than) 'buckle up or hustle out!'. This will help save some of us the trouble of repeating the same thing to other people travelling in our cars!
Perhaps there could also be sun protectors/ blockers with the TBHP logo/ motto - these would be more visible to fellow travellers.
Old 5th January 2011, 18:46   #3407
BHPian

Search option should automatically display results soreted by date with the latest reply first. Especially Travelogues this will list the latest thread first giving more up to date information.
Old 5th January 2011, 19:03   #3408
Senior - BHPian

In my humble opinion, just like the 'know your moderators' theard, we should have a 'know yours distinguished BHPians' thread as well.

The reason why I'm suggesting the same is that, many of the new T-BHPians might not know more in detail about our distinguished BHPians

I guess, it is not that difficult to implement the same. What say moderators & Distinguished-BHPians?
Old 6th January 2011, 09:28   #3409
JVH
Senior - BHPian

The THAR review was excellent and as usual with every other review raises the bar. Though I'm no off-roadie the attention to detail and the planning which went into the review was truly commendable. Good job done there!

Which leads me to ask you - Are you guys planning to do someting similar in the motorbikes section? This year India is expecting quite a handful of bikes and it would be great if T-BHP can initiate reports there as well. Thanks!
Old 6th January 2011, 19:45   #3410
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Like/Unlike Post Button. Not sure whether this has been mentioned before, but I think its a real cool feature to have. Can reduce spamming marginally instead of useless "Thats great!", "I like that" kinda one liner comments. If you guys feel it useful

Here is a reference from another forum.
+1 to what EssYouWe posted (below). Also, ours is a very large forum. The more helpful posts will easily garner 100 - 200 likes.....which can severely clutter the page up. We have a thing for simple layouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
^

This has been mooted before. The idea against implementing it is that it clutters things up. The forum wears a wonderfully weighed look, kind of like Scarlett Johansson.

And we have very effective moderation of one liners which add no value.

Lets see if the mods change their minds about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
given the facebook addiction these days, a like button would be a good option. I have been recently looking for a like button on tbhp posts as well :-)
A 'like' button should not however count to your total posts though!
It's your lucky day . Look above the first post of each thread, you will see a Facebook "Like" button there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
There are alot of Bhpian's which have CNG kit fiitted. Additonal Green, T-BHP sticker will also promote our care for the Enviornment.
The number of CNG users are too slim for us to include a CNG sticker in every despatch. However, what we can do is, just like the "Drive Safe" sticker, a "I care for the environment" design can be released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One of the forums I frequent has a Thanks button. I find it very good to be able to appreciate and acknowledge a post without having to make another post.
Same reason as I mentioned earlier, Thad. It will increase the clutter on each thread. Can you imagine reading a post, having 150 "Thanks" after it, and then moving on to the next one? The sheer size of this community makes it imperative for us to keep things simple.

I've still short-listed your suggestion, and we may have a test run on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I find it bit difficult to search for older threads in case if I want to compare the sales figures of two or more months?
Use our "Search" functionality through thread titles. It's very accurate. Check this tutorial out, for tips on finding just what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Excellent !!
Thank you DKG. Have added it to the to-do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Is ther any way to have a "Latest Threads" link (not "latest posts" which is there today). Reason I ask is I sometimes miss out on totally interesting threads that come up in sections that I don't frequent much.
Awesome suggestion, thank you! Will have the same added soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Perhaps there could also be sun protectors/ blockers with the TBHP logo/ motto - these would be more visible to fellow travellers.
No plans for this in the short-term. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
Search option should automatically display results soreted by date with the latest reply first. Especially Travelogues this will list the latest thread first giving more up to date information.
Go to your UserCP -> Edit Options -> Thread Display Mode -> Linear Newest first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I guess, it is not that difficult to implement the same. What say moderators & Distinguished-BHPians?
Look up their introductions? Will forward your request to the Distinguished BHPians though. If they want to start such a thread, we'll make it a sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
The THAR review was excellent and as usual with every other review raises the bar. Though I'm no off-roadie the attention to detail and the planning which went into the review was truly commendable. Good job done there!
Thank you

Quote:
Are you guys planning to do someting similar in the motorbikes section?
The reason we review cars so well is, we deeply understand them (or so we like to think!!!!). However, most of the Mod Team (except for some bikers amongst us) has a limited understanding of motorcycles.
Old 6th January 2011, 20:24   #3411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Same reason as I mentioned earlier, Thad. It will increase the clutter on each thread. Can you imagine reading a post, having 150 "Thanks" after it
Yes, i thought of that, and I very much agree with simple and straightforward layout policy.

Would having something like a simple "25 thanks" on the bottom line, either a link or expanding to show the list of thankers be possible?. Probably the poster is more interested than others as to who did the thanking, but others will note the approval that a post has received.
Old 7th January 2011, 02:26   #3412
BHPian

Hi,
T-bhp is a very good and informative forum which definitely takes quality over quantity, which really distinguishes it from other forums.

Now, this is going to make me sound like one of those annoying people, but I feel that the dead horse gesture may seem a little offensive to some people (Im not one of those thou!).
Its just that living in England for some time, I have met people who are very sensitive (or even over sensitive) when it comes to animals, and beating a dead horse to show frustration can really offend people.

I was actually quite surprised when I saw that gesture the first time, but have gotten used to it since, and I myself am guilty of using it a couple of times.

However, I feel that the gesture should be replaced with something more appropriate.

Just imagine if there was a foreign forum showing some other animal (which maybe sacred to us) instead of this horse, I am sure many of us wont like it. People who own a horse or are closely attached to animals may feel the same way every time they see this gesture. Even myself, every time that I have used that gesture, it made me feel almost guilty, as I know people who have lost close pets.

Sorry to be so picky
Regards

PS: Why do I always look for a "like" button when I read a good post ??!

Last edited by theoriginal9321 : 7th January 2011 at 02:29.
Old 7th January 2011, 02:42   #3413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
+1 to what EssYouWe posted (below). Also, ours is a very large forum. The more helpful posts will easily garner 100 - 200 likes.....which can severely clutter the page up. We have a thing for simple layouts.
Or you can just have a line below, or on the bottom left of the post, which shows how many likes it has received, in digits. And when those digits are clicked, only then it expands and shows who has liked the post.

What say? Maybe in the future?
Old 7th January 2011, 04:50   #3414

Rush, Do you still have the policy of posts in the "Best Threads" section not being counted. just randomly asking.
Old 7th January 2011, 05:03   #3415
BHPian

GTO - i am aware of the fb like on top of tbhp threads :-)
I still think a thanks/like option for each post or something which says '100' users found this post helpful/like makes sense. We don't need to know who liked it or selected thanks, maybe not on day 1.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:36   #3416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal9321 View Post
Now, this is going to make me sound like one of those annoying people, but I feel that the dead horse gesture may seem a little offensive to some people (Im not one of those thou!).
Its just that living in England for some time, I have met people who are very sensitive (or even over sensitive) when it comes to animals, and beating a dead horse to show frustration can really offend people.
a point of view from a Brit animal lover...

It's ok, because "flogging a dead horse" is an English saying! We use it without thinking cruelty to horses. Well, the icon is a bit graphic, I suppose, but I think it is ok.

(Now you've made me feel sorry for the horse! )
Old 13th January 2011, 13:09   #3417
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Would having something like a simple "25 thanks" on the bottom line, either a link or expanding to show the list of thankers be possible?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Or you can just have a line below, or on the bottom left of the post, which shows how many likes it has received, in digits. And when those digits are clicked, only then it expands and shows who has liked the post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
I still think a thanks/like option for each post or something which says '100' users found this post helpful/like makes sense.
Alright dudes, you made your point. Have started evaluating this feature and if all looks good, the same will be installed soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Rush, Do you still have the policy of posts in the "Best Threads" section not being counted. just randomly asking.
Yup. Related FAQ Entry. These three sections don't add to the post count:

1. Introduce Yourself.

2. Shifting Gears.

3. Collection of the best threads.
Old 13th January 2011, 13:25   #3418
BHPian

GTO , I dont know if any one suggested , but every one needs to send his/her cars for servicing/repairs everytime, many dealers charges different amount for same job ( At both ASC and local garage) can we have some area in the forum, where people can post their dealer information, and jobs done with prices, so that others can get price range for that particular job/ parts rates etc, something like ICE section, where people are posting what products they bought from where, and at what price. Instead of posting threads at different place, as this is Automobile forum , it would help majority of the people.

I hope, I was able to convey my idea.

Thanks,
Vikas.

Last edited by vahss_11 : 13th January 2011 at 13:28.
Old 13th January 2011, 16:48   #3419
Team-BHP Support

GTO -

I'm sure all of us have come across some amazing videos : about cars (like the Honda Accord one or the one about "what it takes for a car to be an Audi" etc.) or about importance of seat belts (one which one awards at some major festival) etc. etc.

Agree, having all videos stored on the website could lead into database issues but how about having a thread where one could paste a link to all these? Of course, only the non-copyrighted ones.
Old 15th January 2011, 12:43   #3420
BHPian

since this is an automobile forun i guess the travelogue's from road trips in India deserve a seperate section and the rest can be bunched up under a different heading.

(Psst , i have posted a non-road trip travelogue so i guess this is my way of stabbing the guilty feeling that seems to persist )

Most Viewed