Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
WOO HOO! My suggestion is implemented. Thanks mods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Thanks a lot mods for the new feature .
Thanks to you guys, and others who asked for this feature. It took a whole lot of research, but the benefit is well worth it.
Old 12th February 2011, 14:13   #3452
BHPian

Why isn't a search box in the classifieds?even the advanced search has only drop down menus.The only thing i can manually enter is my pin-code

For example-if i want to search for spare parts for a certain car. eg-palio.i cant zero down the results and have to go through hundreds of listings
Old 12th February 2011, 14:26   #3453
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought: Suggestion to keep an Open Chat module - where online Admins and 'Logged in' users can freely discuss, almost anything, apart from putting it up on threads and later remembering and replying to individual threads as a follow up. The Chat Module can later be added with a 'Discussion of the Day - DOD' addon where the Admin can post up a Hot topic to be discussed on that particular day/week. This would make the Team Bhp experience more interactive!
Old 12th February 2011, 14:34   #3454
BHPian

Not exactly a suggestion, but will we see an official Kizashi review ? It's about the only new car that does not have an official review.
Old 12th February 2011, 15:17   #3455
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
Mods just an idea. why don't we have official car comaparo series threads. i mean it would be so much helpful to perspective buyers and readers of this forum. example: Nissan 370 vs Mitsubishi EVO etc.
I feel the "What Car?" forum section has some awesome comparos, especially with varying perspectives from different members. That should do for the time. We do have something in the pipeline, but it's not that high priority on the list and will take some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
i was wondering if it would be too much to ask if we could have mobile classifieds. its way hard going through them otherwise. you could look at how newegg does it here> m.newegg.com
Good one. In the meantime, I hope you've started using the forum's mobile skin (Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahss_11 View Post
GTO , I dont know if any one suggested , but every one needs to send his/her cars for servicing/repairs everytime, many dealers charges different amount for same job ( At both ASC and local garage) can we have some area in the forum, where people can post their dealer information, and jobs done with prices, so that others
I assure you that we'll spend (and have already!!) some time discussing this internally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
While composing long post like a travelogue or an ownership review, there is always the fear that I may lose all my data and have to retype the entire thing. The workaround for me is to copy periodically into MS Word or Notepad, but there relly should be a "Save" option in addition to submit for WIP posts. Mods?
Tell you something better : TSK1979 and some members had earlier asked for a "Work-in-progress" forum i.e. a forum section where you can compose your long threads, edit your own posts (without any 20 minute time limit), take your own sweet time to complete and once ready, move it yourself to a public forum section.

I'll have this taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I have a suggestion for team-bhp. why don't team-bhp bring up its own magazine? it would be great if we have offline version of team-bhp also.
And the real benefit would be? It's like asking someone to move from disc brakes to drum. Why take a step backward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
searching 2 letter words like RD in RD 350, or Fe in Santa Fe, VW in VW Polo etc is not available. Could the Mods please sort this out?
Discussed earlier. Please search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
I have a question, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I had trip Pune-Goa-Pune on RE 350 in last year, I had good experience to share however I was not registered Team BHP member at that time.

Can I share that experience on Team BHP now? Will that be interesting/helpful for bhpians.
Of course you can! Look forward to your travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellletloose View Post
I request you to kindly devise a "fast track" channel for the likes of me to be promoted to the ranks of "distinguished Bhpians" & even a "Mod".
Unique suggestion, though I'm going to have to reply in the negative. There is no fast track way to becoming a Mod or DBHPian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Is it possible to incorporate sms notification for subscribed threads? This is one feature I would love to have.
Not in the near future, no. But if you must be updated on your mobile phone, why not:

- Set up immediate thread subscriptions

- Set your Team-BHP linked email account up on your mobile phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
One has to resize each image before uploading it to team-bhp. Its a lengthy and time consuming process.
If you don't resize, waiting for a 4 MB file to upload will be an equally time consuming process.

I take about 5 seconds to resize 20 pictures for upload using the Win XP tool; what is the methodology you are following? This announcement has some great tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prats View Post
I have had to search entire forums that glorify the dealers before getting to the contact details.
We have made it compulsory to include contact details in any directory entry. Please refer to the entries here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Just a thought: Suggestion to keep an Open Chat module
Please search; chat has been often discussed & dismissed earlier in this very thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Not exactly a suggestion, but will we see an official Kizashi review ? It's about the only new car that does not have an official review.
When Maruti gives us a Kizashi for review, that's when we'll test it!
Old 12th February 2011, 15:27   #3456

To team BHP, I strongly agree with Bluengel's above suggestion.

In fact, I would like to take it further: my suggestion is to have a VERY STRONG search functionality. As the website and the forums have grown exponentially, search is by far the fastest way to find anything I want. Navigating through links is extremely inefficient in comparison.

The search window should be prominently and consistently displayed on every page in the website – across the forum and all other sections too (I think this is already there).But more important, the search has to be a universal search, including keywords, titles, topics, cars, user names, everything.

In fact, if you think about it, the latest feature added ("New threads") is nothing but a search query with a fixed navigation link as a shortcut. Here are some more specific searches that I would love to see as fixed links (i.e., one-click access):
1. Search forums
2. Search forums for all my posts
3. Search directly for a particular vehicle make/model

Typical user behaviour is that I look for the topic I want and if I don't find it in the first 3-4 clicks, then I just go to search. All websites that have a big user base and active forum have these types of search features. I am a member of a travel forum called Trip Advisor - please study their search functionalities and you will get an idea of how easy it is to find absolutely anything there.

Thanks.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:37   #3457
BHPian

Hello Mods, most of the time I read the forum on my mobile using GPRS. I use the search feature quite frequently but unlike the desktop version, it does not offer the option to search thread titles only. Do you plan to bring it sometime in future? Or could you consider this request if already not planned? Thanks!
Old 16th February 2011, 17:46   #3458
BHPian

A suggestion regarding travelogues

Moderators, is there any facility to TAG the post such that the TAG appears below the topic title in the list of topics on any forum?
To explain further, i spend most of my time on team-bhp on the travelogue/route queries forum looking for the next place to visit. What often happens is that i open up a travelogue, start reading it and then few minutes into it, i read that it is about a place in West bengal, right on the other side of india, as i stay in Pune.
If there were a "state" TAG which appears below a post, i would benefit by first looking up all the travelogues on Maharashtra which would be of immediate interest to me.
Others, opinion please?

Last edited by aah78 : 16th February 2011 at 20:49. Reason: Merged with existing thread.
Old 17th February 2011, 18:32   #3459
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykayess View Post
In fact, I would like to take it further: my suggestion is to have a VERY STRONG search functionality. As the website and the forums have grown exponentially, search is by far the fastest way to find anything I want. Navigating through links is extremely inefficient in comparison.
Quote:
In fact, if you think about it, the latest feature added ("New threads") is nothing but a search query with a fixed navigation link as a shortcut. Here are some more specific searches that I would love to see as fixed links (i.e., one-click access):
1. Search forums
2. Search forums for all my posts
3. Search directly for a particular vehicle make/model
Our search is extremely accurate, ever since our major engine upgrade 3 years back. That said, I see what you are saying. We have each of the options you've listed (and more), but there isn't a consolidated box which gives you all the different options. Will revisit this topic for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Hello Mods, most of the time I read the forum on my mobile using GPRS. I use the search feature quite frequently but unlike the desktop version, it does not offer the option to search thread titles only. Do you plan to bring it sometime in future? Or could you consider this request if already not planned? Thanks!
Ah! I use the mobile skin (m.team-bhp.com) atleast 3 times a day and just this afternoon, was looking for the i20 emergency maneuver thread. I was wondering why there is no search option on the mobile skin. Done & shortlisted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarams View Post
Moderators, is there any facility to TAG the post such that the TAG appears below the topic title in the list of topics on any forum?
To explain further, i spend most of my time on team-bhp on the travelogue/route queries forum looking for the next place to visit. What often happens is that i open up a travelogue, start reading it and then few minutes into it, i read that it is about a place in West bengal, right on the other side of india, as i stay in Pune.
If there were a "state" TAG which appears below a post, i would benefit by first looking up all the travelogues on Maharashtra which would be of immediate interest to me.
Others, opinion please?
Tagging is definitely on our long-term project list, though its not top priority. Tagging is only as useful as its accuracy, and requires phenomenal commitment from the thread starter. Some Admins (of equally large forums) that I've interacted with say tagging didn't really give out the desired results.
Old 20th February 2011, 07:52   #3460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ah! I use the mobile skin (m.team-bhp.com) I was wondering why there is no search option on the mobile skin. Done & shortlisted.
Thanks GTO! The search feature is there towards the end, next to log out button, if you were looking only for simple search. But I was requesting for "Search only in Thread titles" option.
Old 20th February 2011, 08:09   #3461
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey GTO thanks for taking the trouble to answer every post. Much appreciated!

Another suggestion: Is there a way the default view for any thread can be set to the last unread post? The problem is I usually click on a thread and then try to "view last unread" but it doesn't seem to work that way. Or am I doing something wrong?
Old 20th February 2011, 14:56   #3462
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, about how it can be effectively implemented would need some work, but then, why don't we have a database of spare parts price list?.

We do have a thread on that, but, it is far too generalized. And with these many cars these days, and more new launches, I guess we would need atleast a company specific database. Like Ford Price List, Chevrolet (GM) Price list, Honda price list etc..

This would definitely help somebody to get an idea, whist going for the service, moreover, it would even help make a good buying decision to someone who is very conscious about expensive spares.

The reason why I'm telling it is, in some areas, Figo is just not even considered, because, Ford has this 'expensive to maintain' image, though the parts are surprisingly cheap. It would be helpful, if people have a price list of spares.

Well, this would require a lot of work, but, I'm sure, with these many members, we can easily compile a comprehensive database. Further, list it like we have done with the test drives section.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:21   #3463
BHPian

Can we have a Team BHP sticker for bikes, I got all the stickers however instead of the transparent pairs "www.Team-BHP.com" all others are for 4 wheelers.

I used "www.Team-BHP.com" on my bullets number plate however I would like to have "got BHP?" in small size.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:55   #3464
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarams View Post
Others, opinion please?
I was planning to post about this since a while, in fact I searched out this thread today just to present a similar use case, but with a slight difference in my feature request (See Below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tagging is definitely on our long-term project list, though its not top priority. Tagging is only as useful as its accuracy, and requires phenomenal commitment from the thread starter. Some Admins (of equally large forums) that I've interacted with say tagging didn't really give out the desired results.
What I am proposing is that when we subscribe to a thread, users be allowed to classify this thread into personal categories with labels like ex: Travel, "ICE", "SunFilm" etc.

Right now I have a hundred threads in my subscribe list running into 7 pages. If I quickly want to look up that thread about travel to Sakleshpur, or NH48 or Rameswaram, the effort involved is daunting and time consuming, basically similar to searching the entire forum like a newcomer.

However if I take the trouble to tag my threads as I subscribe to it, I will be able to jump to it quickly anytime I return. Each user can have his own personal tags which can look like folders in the left navigation pane (in the subscribed threads page view).

In the regular thread view, there could be a TAG button next to the Quote button that presents an input box field for the TAG name and auto subscribes the user to the thread. The input box pop-up will also list all current TAGs for this thread (and allow to select those instead). The post that was selected to be TAGged could be the default post presented for the entire thread to this user - in the subscribed threads page view. This will take the responsibility of TAGging away from the thread starter and move the "burden" to the person who wants to consume the information presented in a post.

What do you folks think?

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 22nd February 2011 at 16:03.
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:41   #3465
Team-BHP Support

That feature already exists. You can create folders, and then move threads to those folders.

Most Viewed