Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2011, 13:36   #3526
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Originally Posted by Sprucegoose
For example if i make a post and want to draw XYZ's attention to it, i can tag him @ XYZ types...

I'm not big on facebook, and haven't even logged into my account in a while. Can you please explain further how this would work, and what the benefits are?
The idea is if i make a post that i want to draw your attention to, instead of making the post and
1> hoping that you check it out
2> PM-ing you
3> Calling you up,

If i just tag you, when you log in next you get a pop up similar to the PM pop up.

That way hypothetically if i make a post that i want Issigonis to see, i just tag him.
when he logs in he'll get a pop up with an option to navigate to the particular thread / post.

Another use could be, quite often i forget that I've said something in a particular thread & hence neglect checking it out. When i do check it out sometimes i notice someone has replied to something I said.
If the gap between his post to me & my reply is long [a couple of days], then I just end up looking like a retard .

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 25th March 2011 at 13:38.
Old 25th March 2011, 14:50   #3527
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
That way hypothetically if i make a post that i want Issigonis to see, i just tag him. when he logs in he'll get a pop up with an option to navigate to the particular thread / post.
Actually this is a misuse of tagging feature. You should tag your friend, only if your friend in the picture. When you tag him, your photo will appear not only in your friend's wall, but in the news feed of all your friend's friend's news feed too. It is rather irritating to see photos of strangers showing up in my news feed.

Quote:
Another use could be, quite often i forget that I've said something in a particular thread & hence neglect checking it out. When i do check it out sometimes i notice someone has replied to something I said.
If the gap between his post to me & my reply is long [a couple of days], then I just end up looking like a retard .
You can get instant email notification whenever somebody posts in the thread where you have posted.
Old 25th March 2011, 14:53   #3528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually this is a misuse of tagging feature. You should tag your friend, only if your friend in the picture. When you tag him, your photo will appear not only in your friend's wall, but in the news feed of all your friend's friend's news feed too. It is rather irritating to see photos of strangers showing up in my news feed.
Tell me about it!
People have this annoying habit of putting up a greeting card and tagging their entire world to it!! I say there should be a feature in facebook to prevent anyone else from tagging you!! If there is one, please please please tell me how.
Old 25th March 2011, 14:58   #3529
Senior - BHPian

Would be nice to be able to "like" a comment or a reply in a thread on team-bhp, just like we have on comment threads on other sites (like Techcrunch, for example). It helps to add an agreement to something without having to write one-line replies which seem to be discouraged in team-bhp.
Old 25th March 2011, 15:32   #3530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Tell me about it!
People have this annoying habit of putting up a greeting card and tagging their entire world to it!! I say there should be a feature in facebook to prevent anyone else from tagging you!! If there is one, please please please tell me how.

I hope the MODS don't mind me helping you out on this one. There is an option in Settings -> Privacy Settings -> Customize Settings. You could select to not be tagged.
Old 25th March 2011, 16:35   #3531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I know that... but that's in facebook
What I am thinking of is from the point of view of bringing someone's attention to it.
If I start spamming people, then I should get an infraction..

And i was thinking of it from a twitter POV, not really a Facebook POV.

Quote:
You can get instant email notification whenever somebody posts in the thread where you have posted.
Are you serious?
Even if i don't subscribe to the particular thread?

But then i'll also get notified for any response, not only ones directed at me.

It's not a necessity, but I think it could be a good feature.
Old 25th March 2011, 17:15   #3532
Senior - BHPian

I agree with @Sprucegoose on this.
It could be a good feature to introduce as tagging people in posts is kind of helpful sometimes. Of course, it isn't a must-have, but would make the interface friendlier.
It can be followed up by a tab in the UCP allowing the user to see all new posts he has been tagged in.
Old 25th March 2011, 17:55   #3533
BHPian

@Sprucegoose & @EssYouWe, I have a query. Won't the tagging functionality make the whole thing a bit slower than now. I have noticed that Tagging does slow down things and it could also do the same here. Just my 2 cents on the tagging functionality.
Old 25th March 2011, 18:02   #3534
BHPian

Depends on how much it is used.
It'll definitely increase the server load.
When ever someone logs in it'll have to access a database or array where all his new unread tags are listed.

The bigger the database, the longer it'll take to scan through, besides the server will have to perform this operation for every single user. [> 50000]

but a similar system is already in place, i presume it'll operate much like the system for Private Messages does. Instead of holding the message, it'll hold a link pointing to the tagged post.
Old 25th March 2011, 19:33   #3535
BHPian

Quote:
Are you serious?
Even if i don't subscribe to the particular thread?
Why would you post to a thread if you are not interested in further discussions?
Old 25th March 2011, 19:58   #3536
BHPian

i quite often to subscribe to threads...
besides if its a thread where someone has a particular issue, i generally don't subscribe to it
Old 26th March 2011, 00:13   #3537
BHPian

Team-Bhp App for Iphone, Android

How many of the people here think we need an application on our post PC devices like Smart phones and Tablets ?
Old 26th March 2011, 00:23   #3538
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-Bhp App for Iphone, Android

I think web browsing in Androids and Iphones is so fast and user friendly that we don't need a separate app for teambhp. I use Opera Mini 6 and surfing Teambhp in full version is a breeze to use.
Old 26th March 2011, 01:27   #3539
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-Bhp App for Iphone, Android

umm, no - it would be AWESOME with tapatalk. but is it installed at TBHP's backend?
Old 26th March 2011, 12:02   #3540
Team-BHP Support

Facebook uses this 2MB JAVA plug-in that you install only once on your machine. What it let's you do is - when you want to upload pictures, it opens a small browser on screen and you can select multiple photos from the drive/folder you wish to. How this will help is - you can select multiple photos at the same time and less tedious as you have all the photos available at the same place.

I bet it can be customized to select only 10 pics and a 1 MB limit as per T-BHP rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There already is a way. Please use the "inline attachments" feature. Refer to this pictoral guideline
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
You can re-arrange the photos you upload in your post using the little drop down arrow next to the attachment pin. They will show up as
"/[ATTACH/]Some Number[/ATTACH]" in your post while you edit it (without the first two slashes and the quotes). You can then add text before and after these lines.

I hope i understood you question correctly.
Thank you! Figured it out.

Most Viewed