Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 10:59   #3556
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I know a lot of people are not going to like me for saying this but could you please not have the "Thank you" feature on the forum. I have seen and used a couple of forums where these features are there and trust me, the posts look like a mess with all the "XX people have liked this post", "XX people have thanked the Member", "XX many people have groaned at this post" and what not.

One of the best aspects of this website is the simplicity and absence of unnecessary jazz; I'm sure a lot of us will love it that way.
Let it have a trial run before it can be decided. What say? Something like 10 days or more.

I like the 5 * ratings available to rate a thread. I do not need to post to appreciate it.

Now that I am posting and know that 3 new Car reviews would be added, can't help but ask for more as and when there is time & convenience. The Santa Fe review isn't up. And I am sure there might be a few others.
Yes, I know the Support Team too wants to clear the back-log with time permitting & resources (Cars) available, but still, I am so hooked and addicted to the gigantic and comprehensive reviews (rivals ACI & betters it at few occasions) by Team-Bhp that can't help but ask for more.
Please include videos (length not exceeding 5 mins) and if and when possible, comparisons.
Thanks
Old 1st April 2011, 11:44   #3557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know a lot of people are not going to like me for saying this but could you please not have the "Thank you" feature on the forum. I have seen and used a couple of forums where these features are there and trust me, the posts look like a mess with all the "XX people have liked this post", "XX people have thanked the Member", "XX many people have groaned at this post" and what not.

One of the best aspects of this website is the simplicity and absence of unnecessary jazz; I'm sure a lot of us will love it that way.

Just my opinion, Peace!
It's a matter of balancing one thing against another, libran. If names are not shown by default (but displayed on a click) it is a very small addition to posts, and saves a lot of short replies.

At the moment, we are stuck without a like or thanks function, but not allowed to make short "that's great/helpful/congratulations/etc" posts.

OK, even then, some posts, like new car reviews, may attract thousands of thanks. Even though I am very keen on the idea, I'm not sure how that will work
Old 1st April 2011, 12:12   #3558
BHPian

Have you considered tapatalk for mobile app support?

Tapatalk - Forum App on the iPhone, Android, webOS, Windows Phone 7 (WP7), Nokia, and BlackBerry for vBulletin, phpBB, IPBoard, SMF and more
Old 1st April 2011, 12:30   #3559
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this has been discussed earlier; at least didn't see any relevant posts when I searched this thread. Anyway, here goes!

A forum search or thread search quite often gives a lot of results when we select "Show Posts". So, when we open any of the search result links, is it possible to have something like a "Go to next / previous search result" type of link?

It would make search results navigation really easy, rather than opening each individual search result in a new browser tab or using the Back / Forward browser buttons every time we want to open a new search result.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 2nd April 2011, 21:56   #3560
BHPian

I have got two suggestions regarding the mobile skin.

When we click on a username we get two options of either sending that member a pm or sending him an e-mail. An option to view that members post and threads started by him should also be there.

We can now see thumbnails of youtube videos even in the mobile view. So I guess showing thumbnails of images in the posts wouldn't hamper the speeds much.
Alternatively there can be two mobile versions. One just like the current one. Another can show thumbnails of images too.

And plus one to comfortablynumb's suggestion.
Old 2nd April 2011, 22:26   #3561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@AvonA7, please remember that the Mods are not doing a full time job of moderating & running Team-BHP. Each of the mods has a full life outside of the forum, and still contributes some valuable time & energy to keep the forum going the way it is.

IMO, you are not seeing the amount of effort it takes to keep things this way. And you dont seem to realize the amount of data & posts that the forum attracts each day - and consequently, what it takes to keep the forum running smoothly.
1.2 million + hits per month, ~65000 members, 1000s of post per day...add to this the behind the scene activity of technicality, legal and many many other aspects of running successfully a forum of this size/repute. I am aware of it, I admire and respect all associated with this Forum and especially those starting and maintaining this

===============

IMO you didn't read my prev. post completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
* Please note, this is just a suggestion from my side and I am not questioning the existing rules/regulations of the forum and to accept / reject the suggestion is the sole discretion of moderators, I don't mind.
I agree, that we disagree on my suggestion ( to recognize a member on the basis of their quality of posts as " Star of the month "), but I hope we might agree that posting a suggestion is not a mistake!

===============

Let`s leave it here, as our corresponding posts are not adding any value to the forum but argument.
Old 3rd April 2011, 08:55   #3562
Senior - BHPian

Can we have the travelogue section split into Indian and foreign Travelogues if possible. Also, the Indian travelogues could be split based on regions - North, South, West, East. There are lots of foreign travelogues nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Started!

Link 1

Link 2

All cars sold in India will be added gradually. Of course, it will be a great help to the community if BHPians like yourself can list out any errors in these Tech Spec & Feature list threads.
This needs to have a sub-forum too.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 3rd April 2011 at 09:05.
Old 3rd April 2011, 09:48   #3563
BHPian

^^^ agree with blue_pulsar, the region based division (North, East, West& South) for the travelogues.
@GTO, can we have an excel sheet of the monthly car sale figures.

Thanks
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:18   #3564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Started!

Link 1

Link 2

All cars sold in India will be added gradually. Of course, it will be a great help to the community if BHPians like yourself can list out any errors in these Tech Spec & Feature list threads.
Excellent! This should make life a lot easier for those who want straight-forward facts and figures in a no-nonsense table. Errors, if any, shall be pointed out. I would also suggest that instead of posting the errors, one could report the post. This should reduce clutter in the thread.

IMO, the spec-thread should not be used for any posts. It must be kept as clean as possible, and then added to one big comprehensive list. You could use colour-codes and legends to distinguish and describe features, special 'Team-BHP Ratings', alternative options, etc.

---------------------------------------------

Another suggestion would be to include exclusive editorials. Moderators and distinguished BHPians should be allotted a separate section on the forum where they could write an article every month. A well written article with valuable insights will further improve the quality of information and knowledge on Team BHP.

Think about it, if a few moderators and D-BHPians could spare an hour every month, they could write a nice piece, regarding automobiles or anything related to automobiles, and the 3 best pieces could be highlighted on the home-page.
Old 6th April 2011, 16:50   #3565
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
could we have a wanted section in the team-bhp classifieds wherein one could post their car/bike requirements?
We've seen little value from the Wanted section of the old Classifieds. At this time, no, there are no plans for such a section.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Now that I am posting and know that 3 new Car reviews would be added, can't help but ask for more as and when there is time & convenience. The Santa Fe review isn't up. And I am sure there might be a few others.
Yes, I know the Support Team too wants to clear the back-log with time permitting & resources (Cars) available, but still, I am so hooked and addicted to the gigantic and comprehensive reviews (rivals ACI & betters it at few occasions) by Team-Bhp that can't help but ask for more.
Please include videos (length not exceeding 5 mins) and if and when possible, comparisons.Thanks
Points noted, Sheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Have you considered tapatalk for mobile app support?
We've considered something better.

Just wait a li'l bit longer for an announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
So, when we open any of the search result links, is it possible to have something like a "Go to next / previous search result" type of link?
For now, "browser tabs" is the best way to go about opening search results that you are interested in.

Note that, on each thread page, you will see links (after the last post) to the previous / next thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
We can now see thumbnails of Youtube videos even in the mobile view. So I guess showing thumbnails of images in the posts wouldn't hamper the speeds much.
Alternatively there can be two mobile versions. One just like the current one. Another can show thumbnails of images too.
We have implemented this suggestion for your cell phone; expect an announcement very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
1.2 million + hits per month
Actually, "hits" is an outdated term and one that's inaccurate to gauge any websites popularity. For the record, we have multiple times of "1.2 million hits".

Quote:
I am aware of it, I admire and respect all associated with this Forum and especially those starting and maintaining this
Thanks

Quote:
but I hope we might agree that posting a suggestion is not a mistake!
Not a mistake at all!! Most of Team-BHP's best initiatives were born on this thread. Please continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Can we have the travelogue section split into Indian and foreign Travelogues if possible. Also, the Indian travelogues could be split based on regions - North, South, West, East. There are lots of foreign travelogues nowadays.
We think a lot (and I mean, a L-O-T) before adding any more forum sections; reason, Team-BHP already has over 60 of them!! Our primary focus is the Indian car scene, and hence Indian travelogues...I will have to politely decline the suggestion of a foreign travelogue section, or segregating the existing ones into regions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
@GTO, can we have an excel sheet of the monthly car sale figures.
Whatever data I have is put up in the opening post of the Monthly threads. Feel free to create & share any excel sheets based on that data

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Errors, if any, shall be pointed out. I would also suggest that instead of posting the errors, one could report the post. This should reduce clutter in the thread.
We would much prefer any errors to be pointed out on the thread itself; thanks. The report post functionality is meant for other purposes and its best to keep that functionality focused.

Quote:
Another suggestion would be to include exclusive editorials.
Mods & DBHPians will continue to contribute just as any other BHPian. A large part of our best threads are from newbies, BHPians and Senior BHPians.
Old 6th April 2011, 18:58   #3566
Distinguished - BHPian

The "assembly line" section is AWESOME! I composed a TL there today and it worked like a charm. Love the way TBHP mods try and test a feature till it works absolutely perfectly before unleashing it on us! Take a bow.

A couple of suggestions:
- Can there be an "auto-publish" feature for the assembly line? Currently one has to report the post and wait for a mod to move the thread to appropriate section. This took about 12 hours for me. Not long by any means but you know how it is: felt like an interminable wait!
- I noticed that there were 20+ views even as the post was being composed. Mods have access to the WIP posts, probably. Can a feature be enabled to "share" the assembly line with a limited number of named users? I would love to get opinions of a few friends on the forums fr example, before unleashing the final product on aam junta! Also, this would help greatly in collaborative posts.
Old 6th April 2011, 22:59   #3567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
- I noticed that there were 20+ views even as the post was being composed. Mods have access to the WIP posts, probably. Can a feature be enabled to "share" the assembly line with a limited number of named users? I would love to get opinions of a few friends on the forums fr example, before unleashing the final product on aam junta! Also, this would help greatly in collaborative posts.
I like this share idea. Reasons as pointed out by @noopster.
Would be great if we could implement it.
Old 7th April 2011, 14:20   #3568
Senior - BHPian

^^ I second Noopsters idea too. The reasons have been aptly pointed out by him in his post. It would be great for a selected few to have a look at your work, make suggestions if any, before it is out there for all to view.
Old 7th April 2011, 14:32   #3569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Can a feature be enabled to "share" the assembly line with a limited number of named users? I would love to get opinions of a few friends on the forums fr example, before unleashing the final product on aam junta! Also, this would help greatly in collaborative posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I like this share idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
^^ I second Noopsters idea too.
GTO was asked this question earlier as well. This was his reply:

"Member level permissions are hard-coded into the system. The software won't allow a per-user permission level."

The 'aam junta' are your fellow bhpians btw, not a nice choice of words. If you want to share with select friends, i suggest make a word document and circulate amongst them via email.
Old 7th April 2011, 14:52   #3570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
GTO was asked this question earlier as well. This was his reply:

"Member level permissions are hard-coded into the system. The software won't allow a per-user permission level."

The 'aam junta' are your fellow bhpians btw, not a nice choice of words. If you want to share with select friends, i suggest make a word document and circulate amongst them via email.
Thanks Tejas for the clarification. Also, I did not mean aam junta in any derogatory manner. In fact the intent is to have the best possible post quality for fellow BHPians' pleasure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks