Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 18:23   #3721
BANNED

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

F5 on most browsers does that. Or if using opera mobile, #0 (# followed by 0).

:-D
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 18:26   #3722
Team-BHP Support

The home page (PORTAL) allocates an unusual amount of space to "classifieds". It could be replaced with "Latest Posts" or "New Threads Started Today". The latter will be quite useful.

Last edited by SmartCat : 11th May 2011 at 18:33.
Old 11th May 2011, 19:17   #3723
BHPian

Thought of some valuable suggestions for the Official Test Drives from TBHP.

Quote:
Why not have a member who owns the current generation of the car (if its a new generation of the same car) tag along for reviews? We current owners can give you moderators excellent observations & also a fresh perspective for the formation of the review (like the stuff im mentioning below)
Quote:
Id suggest having a technical details post as part of the review. I know the engine & transmission tech specs are provided, but it would be excellent to have a separate tech spec sheet for other things like ground clearance, suspension details, wheelbase, etc. And even though the tyre size is mentioned as part of a caption for a picture, that could be part of this tech spec sheet as well.
Quote:
The subjective part of this has been answered & it is mentioned that the mid range is "punchy" but how about actual test figures? 0-100 timings, roll-on timings, brake distances, etc? i would like to suggest that this become part of every BHP review. We are after all an enthusiast bunch
To make things more objective. After all, every person has a different perspective.
Quote:
Further, i also think that since this is a newer generation of a particular car, research on the previous generation could be done & along with the comparo to the competition in the end, comparos to the older gen should be constantly shown within the review as & where relevant. Have stated certain points in the Misc section above.
This can be clubbed with the first suggestion.

The above have been quoted from my post here

Last edited by Xehaust : 11th May 2011 at 19:19.
Old 11th May 2011, 20:46   #3724
Senior - BHPian

I for some reassons update Internet Explorer to IE 9 for 64bits.
Then there was no possibility to add any message. The message box takes the message but on submission says the message is too short (infact completely ignores the text in the box).

Is this an issue with IE9 or TBHP messagebox's behaviour on IE 9?

Anyone with the same experience?

Back to IE 8 and things are fine
Old 11th May 2011, 22:30   #3725
BANNED

laluks, I believe that there is either a thread or several posts a few pages back on IE9 issues. It is indeed an issue with IE9.

I am a firefox fanboy.
Old 12th May 2011, 06:49   #3726
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I for some reassons update Internet Explorer to IE 9 for 64bits.
Then there was no possibility to add any message. The message box takes the message but on submission says the message is too short (infact completely ignores the text in the box).

Anyone with the same experience?

Yes, this is something which I also experienced with IE upgrade. This is the solution I found:

Once you are team-bhp website, go to Tools Menu, and click on Compatibility View. The website will get added to the list, and the page will get refreshed. After this, you’ll be able to post your message.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 16:55   #3727
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can you wait for another 2 weeks? We have something better lined up
Hope you guys liked our Apple / Android Apps! Thanks to all those of you who suggested the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
I am unable to upload snaps from my mobile. I use a HTC Desire HD(Android).
Use the Android App now! Uploading pics is a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Can we take a thread, and see all posts only by 'the starter
Of course you can! When viewing a forum, click on the number in the "Replies" column. This will open up a new window, with a list of those who have commented in the thread. Simply click on the post count next to the thread starter's name and you'll see a list of his posts only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Does the person Thanked for a post, get a Notification?
Nope. And no plans to add any notification either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Someone may end up posting a response to a thread last discussed upon TBHP's inception!
We don't have a problem with old threads being bumped up, as long as the content is still relevant today (e.g. How to save money on insurance premiums). If it's irrelevant however, we usually delete the post and close the thread. This doesn't happen too frequently, so its not something we need to worry about for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I guess he meant something similar to this: Autopedia.This is just an example, you could browse through thousands of pages which can be edited by anyone: Wikia.

We could have the 'Test Drives' section in a similar manner (it would even be more user-friendly).
Thanks Prateek. Shortlisted for internal discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
In an ideal scenario, the portal in future could have a section where one could choose a car --> get variant information, get official review, get ownership reviews, get issues pertaining to the car, get used car deal information, get new car pricing information for that car etc, all from a single page.
Thank you for the suggestion. Shortlisted for internal discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Mods, this is regarding quoting posts. If a user's post is quoted then the user gets an automated message about the same. This will help in quick reference and reply also.
Done & implemented via our You've been quoted feature. Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Undoubtedly, the Indian Car Sales Figures is an awesome collection of Data which you can never get by any amount of googling on the net. Kudos to the Team for putting in all the effort to compile the data as fast and precise as possible immediately after the close of the month.

Was recently trying to refer to the Indian Car Sales Chart of December 2010. While doing so, realized that Indian Car Sales Figures thread doesn't come under an exclusive sub forum.

However, must admit that, it was not all that difficult to google it up in the Indian car scene section. Just thought it would be nice, In the long run, if the support team could prolly look at creating an exclusive sub forum for the Indian Car Sales Figures which would come handy for some lazzy bones like me.
No plans to create a new sub-forum for the sales stats. Best for you to use the SEARCH feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Quite few links, especially to other posts on the forum itself, sometimes go dead, due to the post being deleted. Any means of identifying such links and deleting the link or marking the link as invalid?
Affects about 1% of all the posts on Team-BHP, and will lead to way too much manual work. Sorry, but cannot implement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
P.S. Since there is not thread on this topic, I thought it would be okay to start a thread and get everybody's views on the same.
We'd rather that all the photo uploading, sharing and commenting takes place on the Team-BHP forum itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
The Technical Specification and Feature List Threads by Stratos

Can the threads be parked or moved to a sub forum under Technical Specifications section?
Once all the cars have been uploaded, you will see a new dedicated section for the Technical Specifications. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Guys I was thinking how about having a shoutbox on the forum. Its a place where you can ask your smalls doubts and if someone has any information one can reply there.
Information shared on a "shoutbox" or a "chat window" is predominantly 1-on-1. Thus, it only helps ONE person. Where's the fun in that? We insist that all knowledge sharing takes place on the public forum, so that thousands of other Members & Guests also stand to benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
So,can the option be set to open the link in the same window ?
The way that our PM facility is designed, all links open up in a new window. This has nothing to do with the "You've been quoted" feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
If you wish I can give you the example post/thread.
Please do, I didn't quite understand your suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I feel we should have a home rule to insist on the thread title to be in English.
In fact, we frequently change vernacular thread titles to English. If you see any title in a regional language, please use the "report this post to a Moderator" function and we'll change it ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay387 View Post
I would like to suggest that instead of having a separate section, there should be a parked thread in each sections which gives links to the best threads in that section. That way we can read the best in a particular section instead of having all under one.
I see where you are going, and accept your suggestion. However, your solution isn't ideal (imagine a forum section with 30 parked threads!!). Wait & watch, I have just the solution in mind. Just give us a little time to implement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I want to change the mailing option for all my 245 subscribed threads to no email updates. How can I do it in one shot rather than edit it thread by thread?
As BackSeatDriver posted on the previous page, you can do it page by page. Shouldn't take you too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Kudos to you guys. I just thought in the test drives section why not add a video clip to show how a feature works? (For example in the Volvo S60 TD it would be nice to see/hear those warning beeps or those meaty exhaust notes)
Suggestion noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Would it be possible to provide a refresh button in the User CP? Or is there any other means of refreshing other than clicking the User CP button on the menu bar.
Press the F5 button on your keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The home page (PORTAL) allocates an unusual amount of space to "classifieds". It could be replaced with "Latest Posts" or "New Threads Started Today". The latter will be quite useful.
We already have a "Hot Threads" section on the home page, that lists the most interesting recent threads. But yes, I will agree that we need to update the sections on our home page. Will be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Thought of some valuable suggestions for the Official Test Drives from TBHP.
Done on the timing equipment. Expect an update in the near future.

As much as we'd love to accommodate more reviewers with us, you have to understand that testing a car involves a whole lot of logistics. Plus, about 1/2 of them are on manufacturer invitations (which are usually for only 1 person). However, the beauty of an open forum is, any member who has a review of the car to share can do so via his own thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Link to Related Thread
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 16:57   #3728
Senior - BHPian

I haven't searched if the following was discussed earlier!

can we have "Like" & "Dislike" buttons just like the "Thanks" button added some time back?

Reference Pic:

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-ff.jpg

Source: Technical: Palio 1.2ed Rpm's shoot up when pushing in the clutch - The FIAT Forum

Last edited by planet_rocker : 12th May 2011 at 17:00.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 17:06   #3729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
I haven't searched if the following was discussed earlier!

can we have "Like" & "Dislike" buttons just like the "Thanks" button added some time back?

Reference Pic:

Source: Technical: Palio 1.2ed Rpm's shoot up when pushing in the clutch - The FIAT Forum
we have stronger variation,
"thanks" and "report"...
Old 12th May 2011, 19:40   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Use the Android App now! Uploading pics is a breeze.
Thanks GTO. Loved the app. Downloaded it the moment it was announced. A Great Application indeed. Cant suggest anything to improve it at the moment. Looks really good. On the same note, it would have helped you guys funds wise had you made it a paid app. Im sure everyone who uses it,members/non-members would definitely pay a small nominal fee for a TBHP app on the go.
Old 12th May 2011, 20:08   #3731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder
On the same note, it would have helped you guys funds wise had you made it a paid app.
For the record, GTO chose not to install Tapatalk application as it required the members to pay an amount and that the reason why we opted this free app way.

Please correct me, if wrong.

Further if the Team BHP app was a paid one, I would not be using the the application right now as I don't have a credit on my name.
Old 12th May 2011, 21:43   #3732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
For the record, GTO chose not to install Tapatalk application as it required the members to pay an amount and that the reason why we opted this free app way.

Please correct me, if wrong.

Further if the Team BHP app was a paid one, I would not be using the the application right now as I don't have a credit on my name.
You are correct. I did not think about people who dont use plastic.
Was just suggesting it since it would definitely add to the TBHP funds.
Old 12th May 2011, 22:34   #3733
BHPian

@GTO - Thats all great news. Rather, thats fantastic news

1 - Timing Equipment - Done & to be seen in the near future.
2 - Tech Section - To be created separately very soon.
3 - More Reviewers - Understood. Though it would be great, i can understand the points put forth by you.
Old 12th May 2011, 23:12   #3734
Team-BHP Support

Test-Drives

Hi!

Now that Test-Drive Reviews are coming fast and most manufacturers are obliging, won't it be a good idea to invest in data-gear so that we get unbiased data from the Team aided by best drivers?

I really do not know how much a top-end data gear shall cost, but it will enhance the experience further. ( we can chip in ) I do get a fair idea about the Car from Test-Drive Reports, but that would be the icing on the cake.

And yes, the comparisons/comparos and Motorcycle ride reports are due. (The former needs to be addressed )
Old 13th May 2011, 00:58   #3735
BHPian

Read my post above. Already done

Most Viewed