Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 09:56   #4006
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

^^ sachin, that is a feature, not a bug. It is in fact very helpful when threads are merged, so you can follow a particular discussion instead of being confused by the seeming lack of continuity
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 11:26   #4007
BHPian

Re: Car Finder?

Have you tried this?
Automated Car Recommendations, Recommend me a Car - CarWale

It would solve your purpose IMO and does not warrant a separate thread.
Although something like this in typical T-Bhp style would be great, if it can be worked out.

Cheers!
ra'ul M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 15:46   #4008
BHPian

Re: Car Finder?

Carwale's database is terribly outdated as they rarely update it. Also data against a number of fields in their car comparison page differs from what is mentioned on the respective cars' websites and does not include all cars / variants available today. (Basically good concept / Bad execution case). That's why I stopped relying on it sometime back.

One more thing, I noticed it was a little biased in favour of Maruti and Hyundai cars. But the funny part is it invariably churned out silly recommendations - for example even if you say a high performance hatchback is a priority for you, carwale would recommed an Estilo(!!) among others. Try it - it's hilarious.

@thesilentone is right - we need a credible tool. If it is from a reliable source like team-bhp... Wow!

Already the mods have taken initiative and have started compiling a database of car specifications in a standardized format. This is good food for thought, maybe we should collectively also start working towards developing a car finder!
abhi413 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 16:34   #4009
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to get the images we upload auto re-sized by Team-BHP itself?
That way we do not have to open paint and re-size the images before uploading.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 17:51   #4010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Is it possible to get the images we upload auto re-sized by Team-BHP itself?
That way we do not have to open paint and re-size the images before uploading.
Hi Mdsaab,

I think the size limit on the images has been kept to reduce the load on the uploading image servers. So, if the images are uploaded as it is, it looses the point. but then yeah, viewing a page in low bandwidth will be still easy.

Again, as you mentioned, there might be some other options, but may be it might add to the complexity, and would be implemented sometime in the future?

Cheers!
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 21:34   #4011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Is there a possibilty of changing/editing the title of a self created new thread during the edit time period?
+1 to this.

Also, can Assembly Line section be allowed to create a post that can later be attached by the user himself to an existing thread as a new reply? This will help in creating a longish time-consuming post having lotsa pictures without being at the mercy of a fickle network connection. To manage server load, some practical restrictions on assembly line usage can be thought of, e.g. not more than a pre-specified number (three/five?) of threads/posts on assembly line can be created at a time, automatic deletion of a thread/post if it has been lying unattended for more than a month.

More emoticons requested in the emoticon library to express myself better, some examples
  • Ecstatic/very happy, the isn't quite there
  • Thrilled/excited
  • Sad / upset
  • Very sad / Shedding tears
  • tongue-in-cheek, although a serves almost similar purpose
Now please don't flog me for using the emoticons here, the latter two are used as examples and not as expressions! I actually have freedom to use one more emoticon! (would have liked to use a tongue-in-cheek emoticon here)

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd August 2011 at 16:04. Reason: Please STICK to 2 smileys per post
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 22:00   #4012
Senior - BHPian

Approval of New threads

Now that we are onto new threads, there seem to be many (?) new threads which get deleted.

Have had times when I have spent ample time in the middle of the night replying to one, only to find that it was missing the next day. Just leads to frustration.

It may be more appropriate for mods to approve new threads, unless the members are above a certain level (senoir/1000 posts?). Though it may lead to delay in some threads, it probably would be worthwhile.

I realize that it may lead to some extra load on the mods. But then they check the first 25 posts by newbies. To compensate for the extra load, this number can be brought down a bit. Maybe to 20. Overall should be a very worthwhile compromise.
Poitive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 04:39   #4013
BHPian

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this.

It would be great if we have reviews of all automatic cars under 10 lacs in the 'Official car reviews' section. It ll help all the prospective buyers to make a more informed decision.
karty_83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:26   #4014
BHPian

Re: Approval of New threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Now that we are onto new threads, there seem to be many (?) new threads which get deleted.

Have had times when I have spent ample time in the middle of the night replying to one, only to find that it was missing the next day. Just leads to frustration.

It may be more appropriate for mods to approve new threads, unless the members are above a certain level (senoir/1000 posts?). Though it may lead to delay in some threads, it probably would be worthwhile.

I realize that it may lead to some extra load on the mods. But then they check the first 25 posts by newbies. To compensate for the extra load, this number can be brought down a bit. Maybe to 20. Overall should be a very worthwhile compromise.
I did not know that Mod disapproval could be the reason why a certain new thread with a good number of replies suddenly went missing. If this indeed is the reason, your suggestion makes a lot of sense.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:44   #4015
Senior - BHPian

Remove this smiley

Not more than 3 out of 100 people understand the point of it. Makes me cringe everytime I see it. Don't need to use a smiley just for the sake of having 2 smileys in a thread.
pranavt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 20:25   #4016
BHPian

TBHP Calendar

Hi,
I was preparing a travel planner and thought of adding some Calendar pics for date reference to my file, and giving a cool look. A simple search on the internet resulted in lot of automobile ones (mostly branded ones), either print or online media.
At that time, I thought if TBHP also had something like it. To start, a separate thread could be created to invite members to upload their own clicked images (cars, race, places etc) and then vote it accordingly for the 12 month pics.
The final version of calendar could be offered in two ways:
i) Hard Copy at a reasonable price: just as our stickers are put on vehicles, this Cal can be on my office desk.
ii) Soft Copy: as my laptop's wallpaper, changing every month.

let know if my wandering thoughts made any sense !

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 20:56   #4017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Remove this smiley
+1

Quote:
Not more than 3 out of 100 people understand the point of it.
Well. Though I know what it stands for, I did a quick search on Google! The definition given in the Urban Dictionary, which read as :

Quote:
Having sex with someone after they have passed out.
...literally made me spill the coffee all over my laptop!
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 21:10   #4018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
+1

Well. Though I know what it stands for, I did a quick search on Google! The definition given in the Urban Dictionary, which read as :

When we folks use it, its mostly the second definition that most (dare say all) BHPians mean.

Must admit, even I didn't know the first definition.
sachinj12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 22:49   #4019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
+1

Beating a dead horse, not just dead horse. I guess you know the meaning regardless, just wanted to clarify.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 23:22   #4020
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Approval of New threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
I did not know that Mod disapproval could be the reason why a certain new thread with a good number of replies suddenly went missing. If this indeed is the reason, your suggestion makes a lot of sense.
Everytime a thread is deleted the OP gets a PM with a reason clearly mentioned. Most of the threads from the What Car section are deleted because they are about the same topic that is being discussed in existing threads, for example- What's the point in adding another thread for discussion on Verna vs Fiesta or Fortuner vs Endeavour when some existing threads cover the topic well. A note is attached to the closing posts of most threads where BHPians are asked to Report the Post to request for opening the thread again if they have a similar query and want to continue the discussion.

As a person who wants to buy a new car or is just casually seeking info, What would you like to see when searching for topics- 60 new threads on new Verna(just an example here) with scattered info or fewer threads with all the info in them?
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks