Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 14:40   #4201
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

ALCOHOL RELATED CONTENT:

Can I call for a review on the Forum's stand on Alcohol related content (I guess Rule # 11)?
Disclaimer - I am wholly against Drinking and Driving, and in no way, support injudicious, underage or excessive alcohol intake.

As of today, the rule says that ANY POST containing any reference to Alcohol shall not be allowed on the forum, and the same is edited by the MODS very quickly, and I guess, there may be some punitive action on repeat offenders as well.

While I completely agree that any post that has any reference to DUI (Driving Under Influence) cannot be tolerated, I don't see the logic behind not permitting innocuous references to Alcohol.

For example:
1. Why can't a thread discussing experiences of forum members in various Eating Joints/Restaurants in Delhi-NCR, not have a mention of their experience on the cost or quality of Alcohol served at those places?
2. Why can't forum members debate on the different Brews available at various Micro-Breweries?
3. Why can't we discuss various types of Liquor, and where best to source something from?
4. Why can't we have a thread advocating Safe Drinking Practices, knowing that a large number of Teenagers are also hooked on to Team-BHP? It's also an opportunity to leverage the forum to impart the right education to the youngsters.
5. Why can't we have a thread with people sharing past mistakes of DUI, and the consequences, thereby serving to educate an caution others?

My point: Are we losing out on a number of interesting and educative discussions/threads because of this BLANKET Ban? Or, is there a Legal or PR implication here, that I am missing?
Old 15th November 2011, 15:11   #4202
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm... as an individual, I have to juggle three perspectives... that alcohol is a dangerous drug that is physically and socially destructive, and that it is an anomaly that it is legal anywhere; prohibition doesn't work; and, the individual right to poison oneself.

If I were a mod, I'd have a problem deciding which references should be allowed and which should not. It is a tricky area, and one that I recall requesting clarification on, as a new member.

Your '1' I have some sympathy with.

Your '2' and '3' I feel (even though we have non-driving threads) are better off in more appropriate forums.

Your '4' ... There is only one safe practice when driving: zero intake. I can imagine that some would hotly debate that, and I don't think the end result would be good.

Your '5' is, to some extent, covered in threads like the accident thread.

On the whole, although it may seem puritanical to some, I support the status quo on this.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 15:16   #4203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hmmm... as an individual, I have to juggle three perspectives... that alcohol is a dangerous drug that is physically and socially destructive, and that it is an anomaly that it is legal anywhere; prohibition doesn't work; and, the individual right to poison oneself.
Even driving is a dangerous drug , if you engage your gear into 5th gear and press the accelerator and never take it off and never brake you WILL crash ! . How about that ? . So we should ban all the threads related to cars then ! .

Its about how moderately you control it matters ! .

Infact ,there should be no control or ban on anything .Its control of freedom of expression or discussion .

Last edited by black12rr : 15th November 2011 at 15:42.
black12rr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 16:50   #4204
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Let's not take it to extremes. IN case you are not aware, references to overspeeding/ dangerous driving will be IMMEDIATELY deleted by the mods. Rule #11 serves a purpose- let's respect that and move on.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 17:05   #4205
Senior - BHPian

^^ Sorry, but I can't understand why the current stand on Rule 11, is deemed logical.

Nothing is Risk-Free, but does that mean we don't talk about it?

Also, I am not advocating a total scrapping of the rule; I am only advocating judicious use of the same.
Old 18th November 2011, 14:02   #4206
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, the decision was made a couple of years back, has been in place since, and is here to stay. We will NOT permit any discussions on alcohol. If you have any other comments to add, please use the Contact Us form.

For very sensitive subject, and on a large forum, a blanket ban is preferred. It's far easier to manage, and avoids a situation where sensitive posts can be misinterpreted. Anyways, its not like we are losing out on anything automotive, by avoid the topic of alcohol. Remember, we are an Indian car forum.

P.S. The only topics where posts on alcohol are allowed are those on Safe Driving. Basically, anti-DUI posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamizha View Post
The classification of cars section. If the topic are grouped under the specific car brand then it will be much more useful.
Negative. We aren't keen on adding 25 additional sub-forums that will lead to immense clutter, and also a situation where some of those could have very, very less activity. We like keeping things simple and debate a LOT before any new forum section is added (to the existing list).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOn View Post
but is it possible to alllow to post 1 liner message in Thanks, so we can indicate what part in the post is being thanked for, as posts can be pretty long.
Well, if you find a part of the post very useful, use the Thanks button anyways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Can we get a Google +1 button for finding the contents easily while searching and sharing.
Done. Adding to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I'm ready to even PAY to get a chance to sit in the backseat when the car is being road tested
Quote:
However, I think the car company allows only one other person (other than the reviewer) to test the car.
For the cars we get to review in the home cities, sure, we can have BHPians joining us. However, when we have to travel for drive events, there is a restriction on the number of people who can join in (usually 1, or 2 tops).

BTW Smartcat : We'll take you up on your $ offer when a guzzler comes by. The amount of fuel that went into the belly of a Volvo S60 / Mitsubishi EVO X isn't funny. We wiped one tank of the EVO X in 2.xx hours flat . Just kidding, your presence will be more than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Moving the Motorbikes forum from the "Around the corner" section. It doesnt feel right to be kept there.
Done & agreed. Shortlisted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
The malware infection was reported by me, few pages back.

As of now, administrators are fixing the issue.
Just an update : This has been fixed, and hopefully permanently. We have moved to a completely different store software that is known to be 10X more secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Can someone tell me whether this "bumping up" of the new thread that has been shifted from Assembly Line can be done by the thread-starter (If so, how?) or one has to approach mods for it?
Usually, the Moderator who moves your thread to public will bump it up. If not, feel free to *bump* it up (only once) via a reply to your own thread. This will bring it back under the "new post" listings.

Please be advised that we don't permit the bumping of threads under any other circumstance. It is considered as a very serious violation of our rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviacc2825 View Post
Its a very nice idea to have a thanks button at the bottom for the replies which imparts us with the knowledge, but there are replies which we really LIKE they won't necessarily impart us with any knowledge but in general are good replies. I can't post a comment stating that "DUDE, i really like your comment" because as per the rules, we cant post one liners which doesn't contribute to the thread, So i would like to suggest a 'like' button too.
Thanks <=> Like : serve the same purpose on Team-BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekhar_gogoi View Post
What has been nagging me is this idea of coming up with T-BHP T-shirts. From what I felt, it was a great idea. I would like to know what the moderators and support team thinks about it.
We will, eventually. And you'll love the T-shirts when they are finally out. Hopefully, in the first quarter of 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Err, we were expecting timed runs too in the review thread. Would it take more time as last we heard that data gear was probably home, is it?
We've just tested about a dozen cars in the last 2 months and have had a very tight schedule. The timing equipment will be reaching our office in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
They have done a great job in copy-pasting our contents onto their stupid forum. Please see the evidence attached.
Problem has been solved. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Team-bhp has lots of extensive test drive reports on automobiles. Because car audio has become an important aspect of a car/vehicle purchase, i feel the ultimate importance of car audio test-drive / detailed reviews.

The reviews of speakers, subwoofers, amplifiers, Head units would definitely help readers in identifying what they'd require before making a purchase.
I encourage ICE-experts to start submitting reviews themselves, and not necessarily wait for Moderator reviews. Ours is a user-generated community; the contribution of all of us Moderators together is still a drop of the Team-BHP ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Mods, I am facing a weird problem. I tried to open the last post in my ownership thread of the Ikon 1.6, however I am consistently getting the below error:

URL to the last page which gives the above error:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-petrol-5.html

I can open all the other pages (four out of five) without a problem. It's only when I click the last page that the above problem occurs.

I am now unable to post anything to this thread. ??

Update: After going to the forum view, I can see my name as the last poster in the thread, so hopefully the post was recorded alright. However the same problem occurs when I click on the last post link: the page doesn't open.
Please use the "report this post to a Moderator" function whenever such a problem crops up. We'll solve it immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Dear GTO,

Can we please have official review of Honda City after the facelift?
With so many comprehensive ownership reviews of the Honda City already onboard, I have doubts over the value my review would bring. Sorry, but I'll pass on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Almost in every Official T-BHP review, the reviewer mentions how a particular feature is present in this particular variant upwards or that feature doesn't exist in some other variant.

If the manufacturers do share the equipment list vis a vis the variants on offer with the reviewers when the cars are given for the review, can you please share the same in the Review Report itself. I'm sure the review plus the variant comparison will make it very very comprehensive.
Nearly all feature comparisons are compiled by us only. That's one of the reasons you will rarely see this kind of information in other reviews.

Last edited by GTO : 18th November 2011 at 14:08.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 15:45   #4207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please use the "report this post to a Moderator" function whenever such a problem crops up. We'll solve it immediately.
Yes, the problem was solved, the reason I posted here was because I didn't know why the thread was having an issue.

Anyways, you may remember I had posted many days back about being able to view only posts by a particular member in a thread. For e.g. when viewing a travelogue, there are many posts which are of little interest to a person who wants to read what the OP went through, and not be diverted by discussions on other aspects. You had replied that the same could be accessed by clicking on the number of posts link against the thread title and it would open a list of members with their respective posts, and from there on to the results.

However, what I had in mind was a view similar to the one we get when reading a thread, only filtered by the specific member's posts. The search option is useful only to a small extent, since it only shows a line from the post. The default thread view shows each post fully, with photos and attachments. I would really prefer the thread view filtered by a specific member's posts rather than the search.
Old 18th November 2011, 18:19   #4208
BHPian

My main interest is travelogue section and have a suggestion in that regard.

Dividing the travelogue section into sub menus/directories, sector wise. Viz. NORTH, SOUTH, WEST, EAST, NORTH-EAST.

That way it will be easier for members and readers to find and zero in on travelogues of their interested routes and region.

The search function in this regard is much time consuming and not accurate most of the times with many links not being shown.

Thanks & regards
San
Old 18th November 2011, 19:20   #4209
BHPian

Sorry if has been asked for before as a search did not come up with anything. Or maybe my search terms were not correct.

Reading a few of the fast growing threads intermittently, we have no choice of going to any random page towards the end except the last page. Have to load that, hit stop loading immediately and then manually correct the page in the url. it's a bit of a bother. Can we have a few clickable page numbers like (last-6)(last-5)(last-4)(last-3)(last-2)(last-1)(last) like that is shown as 1 2 3 ... ?

Edit: Let me take this chance to request for a members only sticker. Many times I have run into non-members where i feel foolish in the end. Many others also have said the same thing.

Thanks.

Last edited by optimist : 18th November 2011 at 19:27. Reason: spelling and minor rewording + request
Old 18th November 2011, 19:53   #4210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post

Dividing the travelogue section into sub menus/directories, sector wise. Viz. NORTH, SOUTH, WEST, EAST, NORTH-EAST.
Already answered indirectly by GTO above. The number of sub-forums and sub-subforums this would result in boggles the mind . However...

Quote:
The search function in this regard is much time consuming and not accurate most of the times with many links not being shown.
Is it possible to enter "keywords" when you first compose a thread (example: Goa, Swift, travelogue) that can become meta tags to aid the search and prevent situations like this from developing?
Old 18th November 2011, 20:26   #4211
BANNED

We have THANKS button if we want to just thank some one.We can post, if we additionally want to say something.

Why not have a "CONGRATS" button?
Will be very helpful in case new purchases, upgrades, etc.
We can always post a reply if we need to know any detail about the topic.

Just a suggestion, as sometimes I feel the need just to congratulate the BHPian.
Old 20th November 2011, 00:25   #4212
Team-BHP Support

GTO, for the love of all the vehicles you've driven, please have a T-BHP app for Windows Phone.

On a related note, I can't post anything thru' the IE on my HD7 that runs on mango. The text field is greyed out and although what I type shows, when I hit submit, it says, the reply doesn't have enough characters.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2011, 08:37   #4213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
GTO, for the love of all the vehicles you've driven, please have a T-BHP app for Windows Phone.
Completely agree, but I guess that will come once WP gets a bit more popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987
On a related note, I can't post anything thru' the IE on my HD7 that runs on mango. The text field is greyed out and although what I type shows, when I hit submit, it says, the reply doesn't have enough characters.
Well, I guess it’s to do with the latest IE compatibility settings. We can switch off the compatibility settings on the PC version, but I don’t see such an option in the IE in WP. This issue came up with the Mango update.
Old 20th November 2011, 14:37   #4214
Senior - BHPian

I am currently doing bits and pieces of programming on my Windows phone (two actually, but I have WM6.1 and WM6.5), and though I don't know how I am going to spare the time I am willing to lend a hand if needed!
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 19:21   #4215
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Mods,

Have a query on the search engine used in the forum. Suppose I am searching for a thread that has the word "suggestions" in the thread name (like this thread). Now ideally I should get this thread if I search "suggestion" or "suggestions". Which doesn't happen in this forum's search engine, only the latter works. Is this a bug or the functionality (that I'm talking about) isn't available?

Search page with Suggestion
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-suggestion.jpg

Search page with Suggestions - the results are different and more in number! It should be the opposite!
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-suggestions.jpg

Another query - not sure if this bug is faced by all, although I have noticed it several times. Now in my "User CP" any subscribed thread I have already visited and no (new) posts have been added after that, should display as read. I have attached the snapshot of my current "User CP" page, all the threads have been visited but still these show as unread. If you note, the latest post(s) in the second and third threads are mine, but it still shows as unread.

Others facing this bug too?

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-user-page.jpg

P.s. Neither is a major bug or issue. Just wanted to bring them to your notice.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th November 2011 at 19:23.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed