Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 17:50   #4231
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Excuse me if this has been posted before.

@Mods : Recently, I was just going through the member list directory and observed one thing. There are lots of IDs which have been created and are unused (newbies with 0 posts made). There are IDs created 4-5 years back and are still lying unused. If these users created these IDs just for the sake of viewing the forum contents, they could have done the viewing as casual visitors as well. What purpose does the ID serve then, if they do not post anywhere or participate in discussions?

My suggestion to the mods : you can email the owners of all those dummy IDs and request them to reconfirm their membership status (after a certain time period expires, like say 2 or 3 months of zero activity), else, they can be deleted and server space (of those IDs) can be cleared up. This might not seem like my business, the mods would know better than me, but seeing those many number of dummy IDs just prompted this suggestion.

For those who want to know the sheer scale of unused user accounts lying around, browse through a few pages of the member list. Around 30-40% of the names in each page are newbies with zero posts, some of these accounts were created as early as 2004-2005.

Most email service providers deactivate accounts to optimize server space, if they lie unused for too long. We could warn the users first and then do this in Team-BHP. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th December 2011 at 17:56.
Old 9th December 2011, 19:54   #4232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
On a related note, I can't post anything thru' the IE on my HD7 that runs on mango. The text field is greyed out and although what I type shows, when I hit submit, it says, the reply doesn't have enough characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
While accessing T-Bhp from Internet explorer 9, I find I cannot post messages as the reply field is grayed out. If I still go ahead and type out the reply, I get a message saying the entered message is too short. Is this a known problem with Internet explorer 9 and the website?

It works perfectly fine with Internet explorer 8 or any other browser.

Attachment 853902
I just reported it some time back; but with a twist.

Although T-BHP works fine on my laptop which runs IE9, I encounter the same problem (Text field grayed out) on my Windows Phone which has IE9.

Compatibility problem!
Old 10th December 2011, 00:34   #4233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
... Most email service providers deactivate accounts to optimize server space, if they lie unused for too long. We could warn the users first and then do this in Team-BHP. Just a suggestion.
That's going to be a few bytes per user. Not really of any consequence, even after the Thai HDD lost stock.
Old 10th December 2011, 12:31   #4234
A M
BHPian

@Mods : How about sending a mass PM after an official review is posted?

Sometimes a review is missed because some new posts are there in older threads, and this moves 'em up.

Just a suggestion.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 18:49   #4235
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

How about sending a mass PM everytime I post?
pranavt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 23:17   #4236
Distinguished - BHPian

But seriously... I'm not keen on mass mailings.

Some sort of Inform-Me-When procedure would keep everybody happy, but is probably beyond the software capability.
Old 11th December 2011, 13:22   #4237
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally like the Mass PM.
It would be great if there was a software where one could opt to receive the Mass PM.
Old 11th December 2011, 15:10   #4238
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Have the admin setup a plugin which allows mere mortals to subscribe to newly created threads and/or posts by people like GTO and me.
pranavt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 16:24   #4239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's going to be a few bytes per user. Not really of any consequence, even after the Thai HDD lost stock.
Agreed. Nothing is lost with a few bytes of space.

My questions remain unanswered though, its not just limited to space - quoting from my previous post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

There are lots of IDs which have been created and are unused (newbies with 0 posts made). There are IDs created 4-5 years back and are still lying unused. If these users created these IDs just for the sake of viewing the forum contents, they could have done the viewing as casual visitors as well. What purpose does the ID serve then, if they do not post anywhere or participate in discussions?
There is still no reason why unused junk IDs should be left lying around if they are not going to be accessed, in my opinion. A cleanup operation can help, is all I am trying to suggest.

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th December 2011 at 16:25.
Old 11th December 2011, 18:36   #4240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK

Agreed. Nothing is lost with a few bytes of space.

My questions remain unanswered though, its not just limited to space - quoting from my previous post

There is still no reason why unused junk IDs should be left lying around if they are not going to be accessed, in my opinion. A cleanup operation can help, is all I am trying to suggest.
A lot of members are active readers but don't post.
Helps them in subscribing to threads of interest
Old 12th December 2011, 12:37   #4241
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
How about sending a mass PM everytime I post?
I was talking about the "definitive" review of a new vehicle done by the mods, not just any individual post by anyone which includes the mods too.

If you didn't like the suggestion, its okay. But I found your comment offensive.
A M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 13:33   #4242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Sometimes a review is missed because some new posts are there in older threads, and this moves 'em up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Some sort of Inform-Me-When procedure would keep everybody happy, but is probably beyond the software capability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Have the admin setup a plugin which allows mere mortals to subscribe to newly created threads and/or posts by people like GTO and me.

Team-BHP - Official New Car Reviews

Setup a subscription for this link in your RSS reader. This would alert you on new official reviews. Similarly, you can setup alerts on new threads by a particular user/forum.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 11:20   #4243
A M
BHPian

About the choice thingy, its better to ask the mods.
I just made a suggestion. Some may like it, some may not.
If you didn't like it, its absolutely okay.
As I perceived, your statement was blunt. So I registered my grudge.
I don't want to take it any further. Just bury the matter right here.
Cheers!!

@Netfreakbombay
Thanks for the link but it does not seem to work on 'Chrome'. Might be I don't know how to make it work. I'm not a tech guy.

Last edited by GTO : 28th December 2011 at 10:32. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 14th December 2011, 20:40   #4244
Senior - BHPian

Sticky/Parked Sub-Section for Official Car Reviews

I am not someone who keeps raiding different sections for new threads but one section I'd like to keep myself updated is the Official New Car Reviews.

It so happens that, cos many comment on different threads in the same pool, I tend to miss the new ones until some of the reviews are pretty old. How about a Sticky/Parked Sub-Section for the latest 5 Official car reviews which will be succeeded and replaced in the list by new ones as they get added?

Handy when you don't wanna dig in the old pile for a new one. If you get the drift
Old 15th December 2011, 15:09   #4245
Team-BHP Support

Not a suggestion but something I thought I'd bring to the notice of everyone : There's are ads for Google search for mobile doing the rounds these days.

A recent one is about a man searching Google to buy/sell vintage cars (thereafter he meets a Sardarji who sells/buys) them.

The 3rd link the search returns is a thread on team-bhp!
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed