Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 23:25   #4456
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Regarding RSS feeds.

Can someone help me figure out the forumids for various forums we have?
for e.g. what should I use to fetch travelogue forum!!
=====
The forums to which this applies can also be limited to specific guest viewable forums by adding another paramater to the URL containing the forum ids as follows:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/extern...2&forumids=123
=====
I understand not all of them are enabled for external feed, just want to know what all forums I can see in the RSS feeds? Has anyone used this?
Does it feed only the first post in the feed or all subsequent posts on regular basis?

Adding another question which is a bit related to my question in earlier post.

How do I use following option?
'Number of Posts to Show Per Page'
Even if I set it to 'Show posts per page' it defaults back to 'Use Forum Default' upon saving. Can someone help and explain more about this please?

Thanks.

Last edited by Ketan : 20th April 2012 at 23:37.
Old 21st April 2012, 00:09   #4457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
Presently, the posts in the Shifting Gear sections don't count in our post counts. It would be really worthwhile for newcomers if their posts in shifting gears counts as well because some of the most interesting topics (other than automobiles) comes under Shifting gear. I for one, was posting to some of the threads which I liked much in this section but was really confused as they didn't add to my post count up until Ace told me about the existing rule. So, it would be great if admins gave a thought to this.
This is clearly mentioned in the Announcements Section where memberships are defined.

We have no plans to start counting posts from Shifting Gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Whenever I report a post, my posts count increases. Please stop it and deduct the number of reports from my number of posts too
Why do you want that? a reported post is a very valuable contribution to the forum & that's why it gets counted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
To the mods:
Is there any way by which members can get their hands on the answers they gave when applying for membership?
jaranally....
Now that's tempting, but no we do not believe in washing dirty linen in Public. Besides we want people to give genuine answers & publishing existing ones may defeat that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
I can think of two possibilities:

1. You wanna read it over and over and laugh your bum off

Or

2. You wanna leak the answer paper to let more people join Team-BHP at first attempt.

Spill it out, which one is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My suggestions (maybe this has already been covered earlier, but now, with 300 pages, I don't think I will find something quickly).
1. Some anti-bumping feature for old threads should be implemented.
An example of an old thread that got bumped up today:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rd-mondeo.html

An example of a partial solution: Anti Bump Old Threads - vBulletin.org Forum

2. Search does not work with sub-strings, it seems. It would be nice if this can be enabled.
e.g. I was trying to find this thread itself (Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians) so that I can post my first suggestion.
So, from the top Search menu, I selected the option "Search Titles Only" and then entered the query "Suggestion". I pressed the "Go" button hoping to find this thread on top, since this is a very active thread.
But I could not find this anywhere in the search results (looked at all the pages).

Then after some trial error, I realized that the query should have been "Suggestions" (plural form) and that actually brought this thread as the first result.

So, sub-string matches are not working. If possible, please enable and make the search experience richer.
YOu bring an interesting issue, we do try to delete posts which unnecessarily bump old irrelevant threads. But given the size of forum at times some of these might escape our attention, it would be great if members can report such posts so that we can take necessary action.

As for search, please try using wild cards for better search e.g. if you tried searching for suggestion* then it would cover plural as well singular. Other than that the Google search on the Black theme is quite effective.
Old 21st April 2012, 00:18   #4458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat

Now that's tempting, but no we do not believe in washing dirty linen in Public. Besides we want people to give genuine answers & publishing existing ones may defeat that purpose.
No no, I meant just to the member, what he had put in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK

I can think of two possibilities:

1. You wanna read it over and over and laugh your bum off

Or

2. You wanna leak the answer paper to let more people join Team-BHP at first attempt.

Spill it out, which one is it?
Teambhp cheat sheets, hmmmm.

Last edited by mayankk : 21st April 2012 at 00:35.
Old 21st April 2012, 11:52   #4459
BHPian

Update: I already got back on reporting posts. I guess I just can't accept seeing posts which don't comply to T-BHP rules. I guess I will just forget about "posts:thanks" ratio. It is far more important to maintain quality on T-BHP than to brag about "posts:thanks" ratio.
Old 21st April 2012, 13:18   #4460
Senior - BHPian

@DevilsCry,
whats big deal about posts:thanks ratio?
I always report the posts which are off to forum rules,
and mine posts also may got reported by someone if not in-line with forum rules.
We will make deal to sort out concern about post:thank ratio,
I will thank your every post and u should thank my post.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 21st April 2012 at 13:30.
Old 21st April 2012, 13:31   #4461
F50
Senior - BHPian

I had reported this earlier and also posting it up here.

We should stop answering in quotes. (Example: My Answers in Bold)

The problem with this is, a member wants to reply "answers in bold" is unable to do so because when you click on Quote, the quote post shows only what was written apart from quoted quote and not what (answers in bold) was in the original quote.

Confusing? Try it.

Last edited by F50 : 21st April 2012 at 13:33.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:00   #4462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50
I had reported this earlier and also posting it up here.

We should stop answering in quotes. (Example: My Answers in Bold)

The problem with this is, a member wants to reply "answers in bold" is unable to do so because when you click on Quote, the quote post shows only what was written apart from quoted quote and not what (answers in bold) was in the original quote.

Confusing? Try it.
What about there being no "bold" in the app?
Old 21st April 2012, 14:09   #4463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@DevilsCry,
whats big deal about posts:thanks ratio?
I always report the posts which are off to forum rules,
and mine posts also may got reported by someone if not in-line with forum rules.
We will make deal to sort out concern about post:thank ratio,
I will thank your every post and u should thank my post.
yup, I felt he is too concious about the thank'ability of posts. These are discussions, so as long as we are in within the scope and throwing everything out, it want become interesting / useful / creative. Let the thoughts flow and dont worry too much about post:thanks ratio.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:11   #4464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk
You'll have to use the tags manually. I know it's a PIA, but that's the only alternative.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:20   #4465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
yup, I felt he is too concious about the thank'ability of posts. Let the thoughts flow and dont worry too much about post:thanks ratio.

Thanks ketan!!

Actually, i wanted to thank you on your post itself but there is no feature of '' thank'' on the posts at shifting gears.

suggestion:
In the shifting gear section, the posts are not counted but keep atleast ''thank'' feature for this section so that people/members can thank the post if he liked it. If required, don't count that posted ''thank'' in overall thanks obtained from that concerned member.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:22   #4466
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
bold is not the problem. The answers are. They are not visible.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:30   #4467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ketan!!

Actually, i wanted to thank you on your post itself but there is no feature of '' thank'' on the posts at shifting gears.

suggestion:
In the shifting gear section, the posts are not counted but keep atleast ''thank'' feature for this section so that people/members can thank the post if he liked it. If required, don't count that posted ''thank'' in overall thanks obtained from that concerned member.
Actually, I feel more comfortable posting in shifting gears . more freedom, I believe I know the rules (well, some of them) and going to be in the limits but I know that theres less probabilities that mods are going to be policing and they will come behiend you with the rules and scales.

Last edited by Ketan : 21st April 2012 at 14:33.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:49   #4468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
1]Actually, I feel more comfortable posting in shifting gears . more freedom,
2]I believe I know the rules (well, some of them) and going to be in the limits but I know that theres less probabilities that mods are going to be policing and they will come behiend you with the rules and scales.
1] Why you feel more comfortable posting in shifting gears only? you answered it in second part
2] you believe that mods go easy on policing at shifting gear.

My friend, you have wrong assumption.
But i found new theory, people here are more comfortable in posting shifting gears in the assumption that [a]it is less mod-ified and [b]all other sections are heavily mod-ified.
you are correct in part ''b'' but wrong in part ''a''.
Mods are mods, they are everywhere like secret agent policing every post to keep the quality of forum.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st April 2012 at 21:45. Reason: removed OT content, thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 15:58   #4469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50

bold is not the problem. The answers are. They are not visible.
That's what.
Cant figure when someone has stopped talking, and when the next one begins .

Iron4awk ia?
Old 21st April 2012, 16:13   #4470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1] Why you feel more comfortable posting in shifting gears only? you answered it in second part
2] you believe that mods go easy on policing at shifting gear.

My friend, you have wrong assumption.
But i found new theory, people here are more comfortable in posting shifting gears in the assumption that [a]it is less mod-ified and [b]all other sections are heavily mod-ified.
you are correct in part ''b'' but wrong in part ''a''.
Mods are mods, they are everywhere like secret agent policing every post to keep the quality of forum.

Btw, i see some posts on this page are gone underground.
Humm! Didnt get it completely. However, I dont have 2 different points here, its just one thing that I'm trying to make a point here. Anyways, lets continue on some more important topics, anyone's got any idea about two questions I had on t-bhp feeds and specifying no of posts in a single page!

Most Viewed