Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2012, 21:12   #4726
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Don't know if I am posting in the right thread or not, but I wanted to talk about it with fellow members from a long time. Why don't we design a Facebook Cover which all members can put up on their FB profiles. I, for one, really want to tell the world that I am proud to be a BHP-ian.

What do all others think?
Check out this page http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...le-phones.html

May be you can contribute your designs there.
Old 20th September 2012, 12:11   #4727
Senior - BHPian

I have a request. In fact two.

1. Can we have a travelogue subsection for International travels made by TBHPians. I have a reason, the travelogue is generally confused with Self driven travelogue. But there can be travel you make without a vehicle, especially in Foreign countries.
Having a separate subsection for International travelers might encourage more people to share their international travel experience.

2. I dont want to be too demanding, but would it be possible to have a "Trending" kind of section in home page. Just like news sites, where we list the topics many people have viewed for that day and topics having many comments / replies for that day.
It would add to the fun. But again, it is not a must have, but will surely be a good to have from my end
Old 20th September 2012, 13:18   #4728
BHPian

This post is directed to all the members. Friends please stop quoting an entire long post in your replies. Most of us access tbhp from our mobile phones except when we are near our computers.

It is really cumbersome to scroll an entire long quote and then the frustration that hits you when at the end of the quote you just find one or two sentences. Frankly my thumb doesn't need the exercise.

Moderators have been flagging posts that have such long quotes but how many posts can they edit everyday? they are also human beings and have a life beyond tbhp too.

It is sad to see in spite of repeated appeals by the moderators to adhere to the rules, many of us seem to keep doing the same thing over and over. Please develop a sense of respect for your fellow bhp-ians and visitors to the forum as well and try to follow the rules as they are designed to provide us a comfortable readership experience on the forum.

So lets just stop quoting entire posts and start quoting only relevant points in our replies. Lets stop using dots... in our posts... like this. Lets stop using sms slang. Would you like it if your favorite magazine uses dots...sms slang...unnecessary irrelevant quotes in their articles and, before i forget, excessive smileys?

TBHP is a world class forum and it shall continue to remain so only if the users collectively swear to uphold the standards. Take pride in being a Bhp-ian. Lets show the world why we Bhp-ians are different than rest of the garbage out there.

I hope Bhp ians take to my suggestion positively.

Sincere thanks.

Note to Moderators - Felt this was the relevant section to voice my suggestion. This has not been to offend anyone personally and has not been posted out of anger or frustration.
Old 20th September 2012, 13:46   #4729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
This post is directed to all the members. Friends please stop quoting an entire long post in your replies. Most of us access tbhp from our mobile phones except when we are near our computers.
And please, when the quote is needed, edit out the images. In some of the more picture-rich threads one has to scroll through the same pictures over and over again.

Habitual use of full quotes is often because members just press the Quote button when the want to post to a thread: getting in the habit of clicking on Reply is the answer!

Quote:
It is really cumbersome to scroll an entire long quote and then the frustration that hits you when at the end of the quote you just find one or two sentences. Frankly my thumb doesn't need the exercise.
Nor does my mouse

Quote:
So lets just stop quoting entire posts and start quoting only relevant points in our replies. Lets stop using dots... in our posts... like this. Lets stop using sms slang. Would you like it if your favorite magazine uses dots...sms slang...unnecessary irrelevant quotes in their articles and, before i forget, excessive smileys?
Please understand the difference between this... and..this...sort..of..thing. The first is a valid form of English punctuation called an elipsis: the second is what most good forums try to stay free of.

Overuse of... ellipsis... is bad style! Just like using too! many! exclamation marks! It is not wrong English, and it should not be an offence against the no-SMS rule. One or two of the mods should check this out

It is also used, with spaces either side, to indicate that text ... has been omitted.

Quote:
Note to Moderators - Felt this was the relevant section to voice my suggestion. This has not been to offend anyone personally and has not been posted out of anger or frustration.
Likewise ...although those repeated pictures do cause me frustration! Sometimes the software converts them to attachment links, sometimes it does not.
Old 27th September 2012, 12:03   #4730
BHPian

Is it possible to sort the thread according to the author(BHPian who posted) of the post In Initial ownership report and Longterm ownership report ?. It will be easy to follow the thread owner's post if it is sorted in that order , otherwise we have to go through hundreds of pages to find the thread owner's updates regarding services done , issues and niggles sorted out , cost of ownership , bills etc. Sorry if I am wrong .
Old 27th September 2012, 17:42   #4731
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I have noticed that even if I upload a png/gif image, the watermarking process somehow causes the jpeg artifacts to appear in the image.
Correct. The images get converted to JPGs as they get watermarked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
However, some image attachments skip the watermarking (and appear nice!). (Wondering what is the difference, is it the upload process that makes the difference?)
Seems to have not been applied to that image since its a GIF. PNGs however get converted to JPGs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Since yesterday i.e. 24th Aug, I get this untrusted connection warning message when I try to open Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Portal.
Should be fixed now. (Though Google is still switching things around).

Thanks for having pointed this out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Another query, I am not been able to find a thread once seen by me? Mods please help. The thread was about 'suggestions to car manufacturers regarding improving their existing models in production' something on these lines.
Is this the one : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-industry.html

cya
R
Old 27th September 2012, 18:02   #4732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thanks for the effort.
But I am afraid this isn't the one I accidentaly bumped upon. Reason for the same is since this thread is not updated since Jan 3rd, the thread which I came across was in latest posts list for that day and that is around 1-2 months back. But as I noticed, this thread fulfills 95% of the criteria I was looking for.
Thanks
BTW any update on signatures not displayed while typing from mobile.
Old 27th September 2012, 20:28   #4733
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there a possibility of auto-PMs being sent to other users when we link their profile.

Just speaking as an example; say I want to involve Noop or Vid in the discussion and I mention them like Noopster, Vid6639, and so on. The idea is if we have to involve a person in a discussion (and inform him), we quote a post of his. Or the other option is to expect him to go by that post sometime in the future to understand the discussion involves him.

I am not exactly 100% sure, but I believe seeing something of this sort on other forums that have the same structure. Just curious if it is possible (from a developer's point of view). If it is possible, it might actually clean up some of the posts significantly, giving better concise post views to mobile (& normal) users.

P.s. Obviously in the above example, those are just simple hyper-links. Just wanted to illustrate the scenario.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 27th September 2012 at 20:30.
Old 28th September 2012, 00:09   #4734
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a suggestion but just a small clarification. Looks like the pictures we are uploading are being hosted externally by GoPhoto? Before I think it was directly going into the TBHP server. Is this fine? And why has it been done so?
Old 28th September 2012, 07:16   #4735
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Is there a possibility of auto-PMs being sent to other users when we link their profile.

Just speaking as an example; say I want to involve Noop or Vid in the discussion and I mention them like Noopster, Vid6639, and so on. The idea is if we have to involve a person in a discussion (and inform him), we quote a post of his. Or the other option is to expect him to go by that post sometime in the future to understand the discussion involves him.

...[/i]
Very good suggestion, @Ninjatalli! Have wondered about it myself a few times. Facebook has a implementation where you mention somebody's name, a notification goes to that user. So programatically should not be too difficult.

Last edited by SDP : 28th September 2012 at 07:18.
Old 28th September 2012, 17:23   #4736
BHPian

i just received a web dialogue while browsing T - BHP

"you will be logged out in 5 min " .

Anything i should be worried about ?
Old 28th September 2012, 17:51   #4737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
BTW any update on signatures not displayed while typing from mobile.
Sorry carwatcher, signatures from the app aren't turned on.

As for the thread you were looking for, think of a member who said something specific in it, or a particular point (eg. "speed sensitive horns") and search for those keywords. Might help you find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A few other members did request this as well. The short answer is that unfortunately there is no trustable readymade option for our version of the software, so its not something we can easily implement at the moment, though it would be cool. Of course, a workaround is to quote the member's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Looks like the pictures we are uploading are being hosted externally by GoPhoto? Before I think it was directly going into the TBHP server. Is this fine? And why has it been done so?
What makes you say this? Link to post?
Nothing has changed about our image uploading procedure. Images are still being stored on the TBHP server just like they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
i just received a web dialogue while browsing T - BHP "you will be logged out in 5 min"
Sounds like some inactivity logout. However, i've never heard of this on TBHP! Maybe it was from some other site/program in the background? (Perhaps a banking site).

There are some posts in the last 3 pages that i haven't replied to. Will get to them soon.

cya
R
Old 28th September 2012, 19:00   #4738
Distinguished - BHPian

Strangely, now the image URL is of TBHP itself. Here is the post I was talking about: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2909129

When I uploaded the pictures, clicking on the pictures would take me to gophoto.in or similar named website instead of just opening the whole image in the page. It was like visiting picasa or Flickr. Hence, I was curious to know what happened then.

It seems to be fixed now or maybe it is like that!
Old 29th September 2012, 15:25   #4739
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Strangely, now the image URL is of TBHP itself. Here is the post I was talking about: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2909129
Its possible the poster had first hosted the pictures on an external site (incorrect) and then edited the post to host them on Team-BHP (correct).

cya
R
Old 29th September 2012, 23:22   #4740
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
i just received a web dialogue while browsing T - BHP

"you will be logged out in 5 min " .

Anything i should be worried about ?
You should be worried only if the Team-BHP message says "Your computer will self-destruct in 5 seconds" and Mission Impossible Theme starts playing automatically in the background.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks