Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2012, 09:39   #4921
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Sandeep,

Let me take a guess now... you're using Kaspersky Antivirus ?

This seems to be a problem we face ONLY when Chrome + KIS are used together. Turning off KIS (not recommended) seems to fix it.

We aren't sure whether this is a chrome bug, or a KIS bug (or perhaps something we can change on our end).

Could you first please confirm if you're using Kaspersky or not?

Thanks,
R
I am experiencing the same issue in IE, Firefox and Chrome and I am using Kaspersky.
Have we got any solutions for this issue?

-- Wind
Old 24th December 2012, 09:53   #4922
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggestions for the android tablet version.

1. None of the threads show the thread name on the top of the page, if I am reaching a thread from the notification mails.

2. The bhpian details doesn't show their location. Would be a nice to have feature.

3. Classifieds are still not incorporated to mobile versions? Any plans / restrictions?

4. Every time I open the web version, I get a prompt for installing the app! Would be nice if a background check can be done on the device by the app/service & prompt ONLY if there is no app already installed!

5. Can we have the 'Edit' option above the 'Quote' option once I submit the post? Since 'Edit' option is much likely to be used, having 'Quote' as top most option doesn't sound great. At times we end up duplicating posts accidentally. Also the 'Quote' could replace the 'Edit' option after 20 mins edit window. That will mean anyone could quote their own posts only after 20 mins or once the edit window is over.

Web Version:

1. Can we move the 'Thanks' button away from the 'Quote' button? I have seen a number of bhpians ending up clicking on it accidentally (I have done it myself too) while trying to quote the post. May be re-arranging the buttons could help?!

Also is there a provision where some of the best picked ideas / suggestions be given some stickers or key chains as prizes? The selection could be over a month, quarter, half yearly or yearly as decided by the mods. Picking up best ones could be determined by votes by the panel as well.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th December 2012 at 10:06.
Old 1st January 2013, 10:47   #4923
BHPian

Just like TBHP allows embedding of Youtube videos, there should be a feature to embed Google Maps as well.

It would be a godsend for members to post POIs and routes for others to use. And it will greatly enhance the utility of the various travelogue & route information threads!

Something like this:

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-capture.jpg

Google already allows embedding of maps on websites so this should be a piece of cake to implement.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-capture2.jpg
Old 1st January 2013, 19:53   #4924
Senior - BHPian

In Photogallery -> Search Photos -> By Car option, Zen seems to be missing. Can you please add it to the list?
Old 6th January 2013, 23:16   #4925
A M
BHPian

Guys!! I'm not receiving any "You've been quoted" PMs.

Anyone else facing the problem or is it just me?
Old 6th January 2013, 23:24   #4926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Guys!! I'm not receiving any "You've been quoted" PMs.

Anyone else facing the problem or is it just me?
If you are being quoted from the mobile app (like now ) you will not receive the PM. Shows that a lot of BHPians are using smartphones and tablets to access TBHP!
Old 7th January 2013, 00:02   #4927
A M
BHPian

Thanks.

And I did not get a message this time too.
Old 7th January 2013, 09:06   #4928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Just like TBHP allows embedding of Youtube videos, there should be a feature to embed Google Maps as well.

It would be a godsend for members to post POIs and routes for others to use. And it will greatly enhance the utility of the various travelogue & route information threads!

Something like this:

Google already allows embedding of maps on websites so this should be a piece of cake to implement.
+1 to this. It sure sounds like a great idea and will be a boon for following in a fellow t-bhpians tyre tracks.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:35   #4929
Senior - BHPian

I'd like to bring to notice to the ops something that was being discussed on the Team Gujarat on Team-Bhp Facebook page. For sake of anonymity, I will just use abbreviations for names who were part of the discussion.

The Big Question is how do we prevent the circulation of TBhp stickers to non-members if at all, and assuming only responsible motorheads are part of this TBhp community!

ND: Anyone here with a white Verna fluidic(white headlights) donning an illegal number plate that reads "BIGB" ... sadly also flaunting a team-bhp bumper sticker --> "Live to Drive" Boss, best wishes to you for the future... I am sure it was great driving in the BRTS lane from Nehrunagar till Shivranjini.... (Time: Around 1.15am - 5th Feb)

AR: TBhp stickers can be bought by anyone. Don't need to be a member.

RP: The point here is - By slapping on a TBhp sticker on your car you're representing an entire community of responsible motorheads. Basic traffic rules should be followed. Common sense should prevail.

AR: That's assuming you are part of the community na... Why would you care if you aren't a part?

LL: Maybe he's bought it from someone who was part of the community and done all these antics after the buy. Hope for the best.

ND: There was more to it, but i restrained myself from using harsh words up here, I waited for him to respond, and he hasn't and i'm assuming he isn't part of the group here, it was disappointing for me to see him drive around the way he did, pushing me on to the divider while overtaking from the left side.. while there was already a vehicle in front of me... He looked like he was driving under the influence .. the typical antics that we see on roads during late nights were showcased... Aditiya, being part of this group, my first reaction was I need to put this up on the group and make others aware that there are such lumpen elements who break rules.. and they do certainly bring wrong impression upon team-bhp .. I agree it's open to all... but hey, most of us would not agree with that behavior, especially when you flaunt a team-bhp sticker on your bumper...That's all from me. Cheers..

AR: Yup, totally agreed. Don't do it myself. That's all I can do to solve the problem. To begin with. For most issues at large.

SK: I think it would be a good idea to let TBHP moderators know about this and have the sale of stickers restricted/controlled. There could be other such "DFs" who are solely responsible for watering down the TBHPians.

KK: ive seen the guy too, and quite a strange driver, saw him street race between the ellisbridge and patang hotel crossroads , overtook him only to see who it was , dont recognize him.

Suggestions welcome!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 8th January 2013 at 12:37.
Old 8th January 2013, 14:22   #4930
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps this is going to be unpopular, but it seems to me that the only answer is to scrap the stickers. There is absolutely no way their use can be controlled by anyone, nor, once attached to a car, can they even be restricted to members. Once they are out there, they are out there.

The positive suggestion that I have for the future is to consider the content very carefully, and to restrict it to messages concerning safety and respect. There is a subset of those who might put "Live to Drive" on their cars who would never want, for instance, to stick something like "Drive Safe and Slow" on them. Question: do all the TBHP stickers really convey the right message?
Old 8th January 2013, 17:07   #4931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Perhaps this is going to be unpopular, but it seems to me that the only answer is to scrap the stickers. There is absolutely no way their use can be controlled by anyone, nor, once attached to a car, can they even be restricted to members. Once they are out there, they are out there.

The positive suggestion that I have for the future is to consider the content very carefully, and to restrict it to messages concerning safety and respect. There is a subset of those who might put "Live to Drive" on their cars who would never want, for instance, to stick something like "Drive Safe and Slow" on them. Question: do all the TBHP stickers really convey the right message?
Hmm. I myself came to this conclusion a couple of years ago. I'd started seeing a few t-bhp stickered cars driving around like crazy and many times when a driver behind me spotted my LTD sticker, they'd honk, flash lights, rev up, want to race or whatever!

Eventually for my peace of mind on the roads, I removed almost all t-bhp stickers from my cars except for a teeny one on the rear number plate.
Old 9th January 2013, 08:43   #4932
Team-BHP Support

Another inconvenience / bug / incorrect feature : (please correct me if this is intended)

Scenario : Lets say member X posts a new thread on some query, say in the 'what car?' section. To avoid duplication, the moderators decide to 'Move' the thread into another (already) existing thread related to this query. The created thread (by member X) still exists in the list of 'what car?' threads with a 'Moved' tag.

Problem 1 : Why does the thread still need to exist in the list if it has been merged with another thread? Can it not just be scrapped and the existing thread BUMPed?

Problem 2 : I click on the 'Moved' thread and it takes me to the existing thread where the new posts have been merged. But note that it takes me to Page 1 of the thread, not to the new post which had been merged .
Could we redirect the 'Moved' thread to the specific post number which had been submitted by member X as part of his query? Opening page 1 means I have to search the entire thread., looking for where member X posted his new query

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th January 2013 at 08:46.
Old 9th January 2013, 09:18   #4933
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Karthik, can you please send me a list of such threads as and when you spot them? Removing the redirect should not be an issue. Thanks!
Old 9th January 2013, 15:02   #4934
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ Karthik, can you please send me a list of such threads as and when you spot them? Removing the redirect should not be an issue. Thanks!
noopster, I am seeing this with all of the moved threads- clicking on the moved thread just takes me to the index (post#1) of the new thread where it was merged. Here's a snapshot of an example:

I see a moved thread which I am interested in :
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-main.jpg

Say I am interested in the thread created by kkg about the logan, so I click on this moved thread. It takes me to the thread where his query is now merged.

But it took me to page 1 of the merged thread. Now I have no clue where kkg's post was merged. I have to search again for his specific post.
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-redir_orig.jpg

This searching can be avoided by redirecting the 'moved' thread to his actual post, which happens to be post #19 on page 2.
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-redir_act.jpg

Either this can be done, or else the whole 'Moved' entry in picture #1 should be removed. That 'moved' link in the first picture serves no purpose if it isn't redirecting to his specific query. My 2 cents.

I'll PM you a list of such threads I have noticed, but from my observation so far, I see it happening with all moved threads.

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th January 2013 at 15:09.
Old 14th January 2013, 23:19   #4935
Distinguished - BHPian

I think if all BHP-ians jointly compile a database of whatever info they have on spare part details and costs, it will be a great addition to the valuable info already available in the forum. I know that a thread exists on the same, but if I may bring in an example, there is a railway website, that allow members to edit and create a locomotive database wherein they can upload and update information on various locomotives present. Suppose if Team-BHP incorporates a similar database where members can upload spare part info for various cars, it will serve as an excellent reference to one and all. Quite simple to implement I think? But pardon me, I dont know the ABC of maintaining such a forum, so I dont think I can call it easy.

Most Viewed