Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2013, 12:54   #5101
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Wont that make life easier for everyone?

If we do that you can imagine the number of sub-sections under each category ( Hatch/Sedan/SUV etc) and the alarming rate at which new cars are being released I can tell you it only create messy home-page

In short, it's not a good idea..

Simple Solution: Our search feature is truly marvelous, its easy to filter threads of specific cars using this feature.
hmmm...I might not be using the search feature properly.
But I do not think it will be any messier. We do have official test drive threads separately. Will be nice to have official test drive and ownership reports about a car kind of together.

Even the official test drive section should have subcategories like hatch/sedan/suv and not a flat structure as now
Old 28th February 2013, 16:08   #5102
BHPian

Apologies I am not sure if some one has already pointed this. I noticed members posting pictures of cars that have TBHP stickers on their cars in the Team-BHP STICKERS are HERE! thread without masking the number plates. Is this fine?
The reason for asking this is I have noticed members posting their own cars pictures in Auto Image thread and blurring/masking the number plates.
For example: If the same car is spotted by TBHP member and posted in TBHP sticker section without making the number plates wont this dent the privacy of the member?
Old 28th February 2013, 17:06   #5103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
On top of this suggestion, can we have test drive and ownership reports (short and long term both) categorized by each car? Makes it much easier to browse.
The moderators work pretty hard to ensure that EVERY ownership thread has the model name in the title. Virtually all threads also have the manufacturer name mentioned in the title. See below: I've highlighted them on the 1st page of the Initial Test Drives section:
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot-20130228165609.png

This enables you to go to the desired reviews section, click Search, type the model name, and click Search titles only checkbox to get only the relevant threads.
Name:  Screenshot  20130228170140.png
Views: 478
Size:  59.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
I noticed members posting pictures of cars that have TBHP stickers on their cars in the Team-BHP STICKERS are HERE! thread without masking the number plates. Is this fine?
Entirely upto the member.

You probably see more blurred plates in the auto image thread since those members are editing the photo anyway + better versed with image editing software!

The only place where plates have to be blanked is the Supercars section, in order to protect the privacy of the owners. (Exception being: if the car has been published in the press/media with the number plate shown).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2013 at 17:08.
Old 1st March 2013, 09:41   #5104
BHPian

Mods,

I'm sure you guys would be aware about this amazing JPEG compression technology introduced by http://www.jpegmini.com/. It reduces the file size of JPEG images by huge margins without affecting the quality of the image.

May be we should considering deploying their tech on team-bhp.com for auto image compression we do.
Old 2nd March 2013, 15:37   #5105
BHPian

Would be nice if you increase the file size from 1 MB to 3 MB in JPEG images and also add a leather keychain set in the Team-BHP store.
Old 6th March 2013, 17:17   #5106
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this today. NOT really sure whether this is an error or just a formatting issue.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-tbhp.jpg

The image shown is the second item in the billboard group. For this alone, ONLY one square box shows up (highlighted portion before "Feb'13 Indian Car Sales...") while for the rest of the items, all 4/5 square boxes show up.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th March 2013 at 17:22.
Old 6th March 2013, 20:02   #5107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I'm sure you guys would be aware about this amazing JPEG compression technology introduced by http://www.jpegmini.com/. It reduces the file size of JPEG images by huge margins without affecting the quality of the image.
I have some mixed opinions about this!! (Not the technology itself, but the way its being marketed).

It is NOT some amazing algo that results in much smaller files. The "comparos" on their site are pretty misleading too - just look at the huge resolutions and file sizes of the old-school JPEGs. There's no mention of what quality level they were saved at.

From what i can tell, JPEGmini is not a new compression technology. More like just a way to analyze what the maximum compression level can be, without causing a noticeable degradation in the image quality.

That said, its still a very useful feature to have, especially for batch re-sizing and web applications! I just wish they would have marketed it like that.

I haven't tested it on my PC yet. Also, it doesn't look like there is any server-side deployment of this as yet...

Will keep an eye out for it. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
Would be nice if you increase the file size from 1 MB to 3 MB in JPEG images and also add a leather keychain set in the Team-BHP store.
Do see post #4 here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...tml#post976066

Its suggested that you resize images before uploading them, rather than upload straight from your camera. This is not only better for the server space, but also for you (quicker uploads).

As for the store suggestion - thanks, we're hoping to add more items soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Found this today. NOT really sure whether this is an error or just a formatting issue.
The squares are grey in colour (selected one is orange).

The shown image has a white background + black bar overlay = results in a matching grey as the squares, making them "disappear"!

Nonetheless, we'll try altering the images in the future to prevent this from happening.

Cheers,
R
Old 6th March 2013, 20:51   #5108
BHPian

Is there some kind of a problem in the PM system?
One of my posts were quoted by a fellow BHPian upon which I did not receive a PM.

For the 1st time I thought it might be an error, but it happened again and I did not receive a PM this time as well.

Just thought of reporting it here.

Thread where My post was quoted: Pics: Lamborghini Gallardos in Mumbai

Is there some maintenance work in progress?
Old 6th March 2013, 21:23   #5109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Is there some kind of a problem in the PM system?
One of my posts were quoted by a fellow BHPian upon which I did not receive a PM.
I think if someone posts from a mobile device and quotes a post, then a PM does not get sent out. I dont know why though.
Old 6th March 2013, 22:32   #5110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I think if someone posts from a mobile device and quotes a post, then a PM does not get sent out. I dont know why though.
Oh yes! I wonder how I forgot that. Slipped off my mind. Thanks!
Old 6th March 2013, 23:24   #5111

One in my wish list.

Ability to customize the hot threads displayed in the home page. Say for example, If I am interested only in the hot threads in certain "specific" forums, I could select those and only main threads under these forums will be displayed in my home page.
Old 6th March 2013, 23:33   #5112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I have some mixed opinions about this!! (Not the technology itself, but the way its being marketed).

It is NOT some amazing algo that results in much smaller files. The "comparos" on their site are pretty misleading too - just look at the huge resolutions and file sizes of the old-school JPEGs. There's no mention of what quality level they were saved at.

From what i can tell, JPEGmini is not a new compression technology. More like just a way to analyze what the maximum compression level can be, without causing a noticeable degradation in the image quality.

That said, its still a very useful feature to have, especially for batch re-sizing and web applications! I just wish they would have marketed it like that.

I haven't tested it on my PC yet. Also, it doesn't look like there is any server-side deployment of this as yet...

Cheers,
R
I don't really care about a product's marketing if it works for my use-case . I use it on daily basis to reduce the size of my photos to be uploaded on internet. They have a Mac version which allows to compress 20 photos a day for free. I don't think they have a PC version yet.

BTW they do have server-side deployment. Check this out - http://www.jpegmini.com/server
Old 8th March 2013, 01:43   #5113
BHPian

Re: Download Owner's Manual of Indian Cars in PDF Format

This is just as a note to the mods. Sharing of workshop manuals might be breach of IP of the car manufacturers. Though it would take a severely incompetent PR/legal team of a car manufacturer, who would think it to be beneficial to pursue any actions to protect such IP.
Old 8th March 2013, 07:53   #5114
BHPian

Re: Download Owner's Manual of Indian Cars in PDF Format

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
This is just as a note to the mods. Sharing of workshop manuals might be breach of IP of the car manufacturers. Though it would take a severely incompetent PR/legal team of a car manufacturer, who would think it to be beneficial to pursue any actions to protect such IP.
Why do you think so? Manufacturers like Maruti sell their workshop manuals through authorized dealers. Hence sharing of these manuals online would at the most amount to copyright/piracy issues, though I am not sure they register copyright claims on owner/workshop manuals.
Old 8th March 2013, 09:58   #5115
Senior - BHPian

Few observations post upgrade related to gallery.

1. Images missing in gallery

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-team-bho.jpg

2. while uploading an image, something is missing here

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-team-bhp1.jpg

3. I remember gallery used to show in slide show mode, but now its showing individual images. I may be wrong on how it used to show.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks