Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 12:10   #5326
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

The current set of TBHP stickers are quiet big for use on bikes. How about smaller ones?

Maybe in square, so they can nicely fit on the rear mud guard.
Old 31st July 2013, 21:46   #5327
BHPian

Guys, when a newbie quotes me, I don't get the "You've been quoted message". Why is it so? Earlier a BHPian mentioned than if a newbie quotes you, can't see the post but you would get the message only. Please solve the issue immediately.

Thanks,

Achyuth
Old 31st July 2013, 23:05   #5328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
Guys, when a newbie quotes me, I don't get the "You've been quoted message"Why is it so? Earlier a BHPian mentioned than if a newbie quotes you, can't see the post but you would get the message only. Please solve the issue immediately.

Thanks,

Achyuth
The posts by Newbies (like me) should be approved my the moderators. If I post this post now i.e., @ 23:01 hrs, it will appear in the thread only after some time. Say 15 mins to some time 2 hours.

Hence you do receive the message but to see the post you have to wait.

I have answered your question but I cannot guarantee that this is the right answer.

- Sai
Old 31st July 2013, 23:35   #5329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
Guys, when a newbie quotes me, I don't get the "You've been quoted message". Why is it so? Earlier a BHPian mentioned than if a newbie quotes you, can't see the post but you would get the message only. Please solve the issue immediately.

Thanks,

Achyuth
Maybe the newbie is quoting your post from mobile app. Any post quoted from mobile app won't trigger the, you've been quoted been.

Same way as i quoted this from mobile, and you haven't received the Pm.
Old 1st August 2013, 00:12   #5330
BHPian

Moderators-any idea why I can't update my profile from the iPhone app?
There is no edit option.
Old 2nd August 2013, 17:41   #5331
akp
BHPian

Don't know if anyone has already suggested this:

when you subscribe to a thread, you can configure the notification setting - there are four options: instant, daily, weekly and none.

Is it possible to have a user-specific notification setting (say I get notified instantly if a particular user posts)?

This can be very useful for certain threads, specially in the travelogue section or in the ownership review section, where one is mainly interested in the posts by the thread-starter.
Old 4th August 2013, 11:57   #5332
Distinguished - BHPian

Every one is aware that the picture sizes for attachment is limited to 1MB per file.
Whenever I upload pictures from my laptop I compress it and then upload to meet this requirement.
However when I upload through my phone, I don't need to compress. Any file more than 1mb is automatically compressed.
Can't we have the same "auto compress" feature for desktops as well?

Name:  ForumRunner_20130804_120614.png
Views: 1142
Size:  624.4 KB
As an example, I have attached the above picture from the TBHP android app
It is 2.3mb. Thus file can't be uploaded via a PC
Old 8th August 2013, 14:12   #5333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Every one is aware that the picture sizes for attachment is limited to 1MB per file.
Whenever I upload pictures from my laptop I compress it and then upload to meet this requirement.
However when I upload through my phone, I don't need to compress. Any file more than 1mb is automatically compressed.
Can't we have the same "auto compress" feature for desktops as well?

Attachment 1121184
As an example, I have attached the above picture from the TBHP android app
It is 2.3mb. Thus file can't be uploaded via a PC
I think image auto-compression is a feature of the phone upload software rather than the website. Try sending the same image from one inbox to another of your accounts via the email app on the phone (as mail attachment). It should give you the same reduced size.
Old 8th August 2013, 14:59   #5334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I think image auto-compression is a feature of the phone upload software rather than the website. Try sending the same image from one inbox to another of your accounts via the email app on the phone (as mail attachment). It should give you the same reduced size.
KarthikK, I tried the following:

When I attach a picture using the "email" app in Android, it throws a pop-up window giving me 4 different resizing options (Original, 75%, 50% or 25%) and I can choose any one

When I attach a picture using the "gmail" app in Android, It attaches the original size by default without giving any options

When I attach a picture to TBHP using chrome browser in Android, it attaches the original size

So what I could infer is that it must be app dependent and TBHP app compresses all pictures by default.
Then my question was if it is app dependent and TBHP app compresses it, why not the TBHP website.

What I understand now from your post is that this resizing options must be an android feature and the "email" app gives the same options to the user and the gmail app and chrome browser uses the "original" option whereas the TBHP app uses the "compressed" version by default

I'm not a Software engineer/developer so I do not know how and what happens in the background, but as an end user, If I can save some time by letting the PC compress pictures for me automatically, I'll be happy.

If I'm uploading 1 or 2 pictures, its not a big deal...but while uploading the big number of pictures that I did (for my travelogue), I wished we had such a feature.
Old 8th August 2013, 15:12   #5335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
When I attach a picture using the "gmail" app in Android, It attaches the original size by default without giving any options

When I attach a picture to TBHP using chrome browser in Android, it attaches the original size

So what I could infer is that it must be app dependent and TBHP app compresses all pictures by default.
Then my question was if it is app dependent and TBHP app compresses it, why not the TBHP website.

What I understand now from your post is that this resizing options must be an android feature and the "email" app gives the same options to the user and the gmail app and chrome browser uses the "original" option whereas the TBHP app uses the "compressed" version by default
From what I know (used to work in phone OS development in Nokia), to reduce data usage and related battery usage, the phone OS will also try to optimize the image by reducing the size if possible. The applications can choose to override this and use original attachment sizes if they want. I thought you were referring to attaching through mobile browser. I'm not sure how the TBHP android app works though, I'm on windows 8 now . My guess is the phone OS is doing the optimization / compression when an upload request comes from the TBHP app.

Quote:
I'm not a Software engineer/developer so I do not know how and what happens in the background, but as an end user, If I can save some time by letting the PC compress pictures for me automatically, I'll be happy.

If I'm uploading 1 or 2 pictures, its not a big deal...but while uploading the big number of pictures that I did (for my travelogue), I wished we had such a feature.
that I agree with. Batch selection like facebook would be a nice feature to have for large numbers of attachments. For reducing the size of images in batches, I use picasa -> 'Export pictures to folder' option and choose the 1600x1200 size. It almost always reduces the picture sizes of all the selected pics to <1MB in 1 click. My main grouse for uploading is the selection of pics in sets of 10 numbers. Batch/folder selection would be brilliant for composing travelogues / long reports.

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th August 2013 at 15:21.
Old 8th August 2013, 18:46   #5336
Senior - BHPian

The website functionality for this can be developed as well , pretty straight forward and would probably aid a lot when it comes to uploading images and i have to agree on the batch as well , should be able to open a folder , select 20 in one go and upload if possible. Great time saver again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Old 8th August 2013, 21:29   #5337
Senior - BHPian

Hey Support !!

I was going through the i10 Grand scoops over the internet and stumbled upon Autocar India's YouTube Podcast with the editor speaking.

I am already subscribed to our Team-BHP YouTube channel. But I want to see some of the car reviews videos on our channel.

When our Support Team / Mod Team goes out for the review of a new car, we see so many pictures. Can't we have a small video to capture the car while its running, or the reviewer speaking ? I really wish you guys do something about Video Reviews. A video review will gain more attention and would be more interesting to see and hear !!!

Hope I am not Banned for sharing this video podcast of Autocar India.

Old 12th August 2013, 17:51   #5338
Team-BHP Support

Hemanth - I added few photos yesterday night from an old PC (XP, SP-2) using Firefox. For the first time on Team BHP, I didn't have to compress the pics, they uploaded faster than they do on FB (I was doing that simultaneously as well)

Link

Try once and see if it works, I will be surprised if it doesn't.
Old 12th August 2013, 21:04   #5339
Senior - BHPian

I think the best time for Team-BHP to go Public is NOW. Its just the Finance Manager in me having a gut feeling.
Off my chest now.
Old 12th August 2013, 21:40   #5340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hemanth - I added few photos yesterday night from an old PC (XP, SP-2) using Firefox. For the first time on Team BHP, I didn't have to compress the pics, they uploaded faster than they do on FB
Try once and see if it works, I will be surprised if it doesn't.
Sheel,
I would have been more than happy if it had worked.
Look at the error that I get when I try to upload a picture bigger than 1MB.
Name:  123.png
Views: 435
Size:  60.3 KB

Also if I see the pictures in the link that you had sent, all are less than 1MB. If you have not compressed and the original pictures are more than 1MB, then I would be happy if you can solve the mystery and let me know if you have any setting in windows or firefox

Most Viewed