Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2013, 16:32   #5371
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Any updates on the bike friendly stickers ?
They will be designed as soon as we get around to revamping the entire sticker set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Since the Thank You button is not available in the Shifting Gears section and since posts do not count to the total number of posts in the section, is one-line thanks statements allowed in that section? I have refrained from thanking a lot of auto and non-auto images. At the same time, I agree that a lot of one liner thanks can clutter the thread. What could be a work around?
Its about hitting the right balance between interaction, feedback, value-add, and clutter. Since you seem to understand this, I'm sure you're capable of deciding when to post and how often to post (There's always PM too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
It would be nice if there are re-visits of old cars. Means an official review ...
This seems a little unlikely at this point of time from the mod team. However, there are some phenomenal threads on old cars on the forum. Do check these out for starters :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...iscussion.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...te-market.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Launch TBHP app > settings > Attachement quality > Change to Tiny(320) or Low(640).
Actually this applies only for UPLOADs.

You can instead checkbox the "Remote Thumbnailer" option.

Quote:
If any older posts are thanked, if they come up to the top (currently they don't do), it will be helpful to know by the OP that which of the old posts has been thanked.
Sorry but our system doesn't record timestamps with each thank - hence this isn't possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
ok, i go to Search under http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/, sear for All routes to Kerala and i get this
Use the Google search (extreme top right if you're using the black or silver skins).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
But i think once upon a time we did have Youtube tags around. I maybe wrong.
They still exist, but I don't think they've ever been publicized. You can add the video id (eg. 2i-OyKTTdG8) within [youtube] tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Just a thought: How about a separate section for Manufacturer announcements (e.g like the Ford Ecosport Diesel recall).
The news section has a "By Category" filter.

Furthermore, you can open a related article and then click on one of the tags at the bottom to see other items with the same tag. (Might not work perfectly at the moment - we're still tweaking it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Sometimes I don't want to know anything about the threads activity until I specifically log in.
Subscribe to the thread, but choose "No Notification" for that thread.

Once you log in, go to "User CP" at the top left. It will show you all the threads you've subscribed to that have been updated since your last visit.

You can also set an option to automatically subscribe you to all threads you post a reply within going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Guys please try to make the emoticons visible in the mobile app.
We're looking into updating the app. This is on the list. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Can we have a separate place holder for International ( Test Drives & Initial Reports) OR a sub section in International Automotive Scene.
I see your point, though at the moment I'm not sure we have enough ownership reviews in the Int'l section to make an entire sub-section for them.

cya
R
Old 24th September 2013, 16:42   #5372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Its about hitting the right balance between interaction, feedback, value-add, and clutter. Since you seem to understand this, I'm sure you're capable of deciding when to post and how often to post (There's always PM too).
Despite the above quoted situation, I think it will be unfair to not give a feedback to the mods on this:

Kudos to the mods team for so much patience and replying to each suggestion posted by the TBHPians!

I have seen so many forums which do have such a section, but hardly anyone reads the contents there; leave alone replying to it.

Please accept our best wishes to you from the behalf of all members here.

Thanks!
Old 24th September 2013, 17:26   #5373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arepalli99 View Post
Moderators-any idea why I can't update my profile from the iPhone app?
Sorry i don't think that's an option in the app - is it? (I don't have iOS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Is it possible to have a user-specific notification setting (say I get notified instantly if a particular user posts)?
That's an interesting idea, but the version of vbulletin that we use doesn't have this ability built in. We try not to modify it too much (except for absolutely essential changes), as it affects stability, security and compatibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
If I'm uploading 1 or 2 pictures, its not a big deal...but while uploading the big number of pictures that I did (for my travelogue), I wished we had such a feature.
Once again, a limitation of the software we run. There are some very easy 1-click resizer programs available. Check this out : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...tml#post976066 (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I really wish you guys do something about Video Reviews. A video review will gain more attention and would be more interesting to see and hear !
Man, i agree. Need to make this happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I think the best time for Team-BHP to go Public is NOW.

Are you the same guy that whispered in Zuckerberg's ear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercool View Post
Let us support under priviledged children. Whenever and whereever we organize team bhp meets, we can request members to bring old toys and clothes for under priviledged children.
Supercool, this is in fact an idea that is worthy of your userID!

Here's a related thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ane-cause.html

Why don't you start a meet thread for something like this? Even starting small can have a big impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
Classifieds - Can we have some flag on the classified which shows that the classified is added by team BHP member.
Nope, the login details aren't the same. However, we do have a field for the "Forum ID" that is shown in the "Contact Seller" box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Please add an option to make the profile public or make it as public by default ?
Nope. Years ago they were public, but we decided it was better to keep them private (hidden from spammers / search bots, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Can we look at our classified sections also, as some listings are not right or is this somekind of a joke?
Well this was more a situation of between a rock and a hard place (given the categories we've set up - it did fit in 'Niche'). The ad doesn't exist anymore though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
How about a monthly contest with a different theme every month?
This has been suggested a few times before, though there's a few things against it: 1) Judging anything subjectively is always an issue 2) Running anything on a monthly basis needs someone committed to doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Cant we have a dedicated thread titled "where is this thread" or something like that in the shifting gears section which can be used by the members to ask whether anyone else has the link to the thread he/she is searching for.
Hahah.. thats an interesting idea. Why do i feel like someone did attempt to start it but then it was removed for some reason. I can't remember what it was called, so thats kinda ironic in this case

Personally, what I do is:
1) Use the google custom search (extreme top right of Silver & Black skins). Its a more 'natural' search
2) Do a titles-only search with a single relevant search term in the vBulletin search
3) Try and remember a specific/unique topic/word that a member said : advanced search for it
4) PM someone who you remember had also posted on the thread

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th September 2013 at 17:52.
Old 24th September 2013, 17:51   #5374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
Do we have a T-BHP car pooling & Bike-Pooling thread ?, It would be very relevant in Cities like Bangalore
Start here, which will then point you to the currently open thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Can we have 0-100, Quartermile figures on official Team-bhp test drive reports?
Would love to - but its pretty difficult to get ACCURACY here, given our testing conditions. Its hard to get a flat, safe, straight road with no traffic. We have limited time when on launch drives too (very early mornings aren't an option). Driver differences can add up too. The difference between 5.9 seconds and 6.2 seconds is small in terms of error, but large in terms of data.

We'll include them wherever possible / for relevant cars. For eg. i made a special effort to take the Polo GT TSI out for a late night spin (quite a while after the official review / media drive was done) just to clock the 0-100. Link

^ As you'll see in this post. Weather conditions, car set-up (electronic settings!) and various other techniques (DSG launch/rpm limiting) also play a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
In the Bollywood stars thread there was a post with an actor running around in a bike in chappals and without helmet. Anyway a debate followed and there were proponents for and against the arguments but now all of a sudden all those posts have been deleted.
Hi eq24, those posts were removed only because of the tone the argument took.

We have several threads on why helmets are important, and we do a lot to promote road safety too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Why is this thread of Well Modified Cars just confined to India? Why cant good modified cars from foreign land be posted here?

No social forum bans international content from being posted.
Why? Because the topic is India specific. We like to keep things organized here.

What makes you think we've banned international content? We have a whole dedicated section for it.

In fact here's the Int'l Weird & Wacky thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...und-world.html

And here's something like the Int'l Tastefully Modified Cars thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...supercars.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan View Post
I've noticed that I frequently get a "connection reset" error when replying to a thread/topic while connected from Airtel. Have other members in B'lore noticed the same issue?

Am something of a networking geek and willing to help debug this problem.
Interesting. We are having an occasional problem of CPU load, which might have caused this issue for you submitting a post. How often do you face this? Exactly what time (let me know when it happens next). Thanks.

Quote:
Please accept our best wishes to you from the behalf of all members here.
Thanks Saket77.

cya
R
Old 26th September 2013, 12:01   #5375
BHPian

Here are two ideas for Team-BHP:

Team-BHP API:

It will be an API for people to integrate a part of our team contributions to other web sites. It would helpful for people to showcase how a service, parts are reviewed in Team-BHP.

Also allowing login with Team-BHP id to other sites may fetch you some discount while buying car products. Both of these can be achieved with OAuth/REST like mechanism.

TBHP Trip Map:

Here is the idea for street section. I believe one or other TBHPian is on the road at any given point in time. If he updates road info about a NH/SH or city roads it can be sent to people who have subscribed to the road. May be we can have a map view for this.
Old 27th September 2013, 22:51   #5376
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if this is correct thread to post this, please feel free to move/delete.
Found this rendering issue for posts with videos (See attached image).
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-post-video-rendering-issue.jpg
Old 28th September 2013, 08:00   #5377
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Not sure if this is correct thread to post this, please feel free to move/delete.
The YouTube link is posted with https:// instead of http:// and hence the misalignment. You can report the post, and moderators will help to fix it.
Old 28th September 2013, 23:04   #5378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Attachment 1144611
I'm surprised that such an issue is still not fixed. How can we expect users to not use https in 2013?
Old 29th September 2013, 08:41   #5379
Senior - BHPian

In the Android app, when I view a message about moved posts, and then click on the link for the thread, the thread opens in the browser. Kinda defeats the purpose of having the app, no?

I know the message shows a hyperlink, but could it be so arranged that it can be opened within the app?
Old 29th September 2013, 15:54   #5380
Distinguished - BHPian

Can we have the location of the members also on display in the mobile app?
Old 29th September 2013, 18:10   #5381
BHPian

How about multiple quotes from different posts.
How about adding a highway toll calculator so if your planning a route the app can show you the cost of the toll stations on the way. Or says tells you how much the toll is for the approaching toll station.
Old 29th September 2013, 18:41   #5382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
How about multiple quotes from different posts.
Multi-quote option already exists. Please click on the Quote+ button at the bottom right of the post window.
Quote:
How about adding a highway toll calculator so if your planning a route the app can show you the cost of the toll stations on the way. Or says tells you how much the toll is for the approaching toll station.
This is not something that can be worked into the forum format. Also since roads and tolls keep changing, it will not've possible to keep something like this updated.
Old 29th September 2013, 21:19   #5383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Multi-quote option already exists. Please click on the Quote+ button at the bottom right of the post window.
I can't seem to get it to work, the moment I click on quote option in iOS app it opens the quoted text and I have to cut and copy for multiple quotes. I don't think toll costs change that much over a year, at least on the highway in between chennai and bangalore it does not.with so many people traveling I think getting it updated shouldn't be too difficult. But yes as you said on the forum format probably you can't get it to work.

Last edited by abishek2222 : 29th September 2013 at 21:41.
Old 29th September 2013, 21:47   #5384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
I don't think toll costs change that much over a year, at least on the highway in between chennai and bangalore it does not.with so many people traveling I think getting it updated shouldn't be too difficult. But yes as you said on the forum format probably you can't get it to work.
as for the toll option, I can suggest you to make a thread with all toll for a particulat stretch mentioned on the opening post and when there are revisions in the toll price or maybe a toll booth is added, mods can edit the opening post and update the information. Should work well I guess.

EDIT: do we have a maximum limit for multi-quoting posts? What is the maximum number of posts that you can multi-quote?
Asking this because Rehaan above posted back to back posts within 30 minutes with multiple posts quoted in both. Was wondering if we have a maximum limit.

Last edited by carzone : 29th September 2013 at 21:57.
Old 30th September 2013, 01:27   #5385
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to add an option to the thread tools, which allows the user to only view the images posted in the thread? So in case of a travelogue if I wanted to only browse the pictures, I would go to Thread Tools and select "Show only pictures" and happily skip the various comments and other text that I might not be interested in!

Carzone, for the toll info, you can check out the travelogues section and get help from Mr. HV Kumar. When you have this person on board, you don't need a toll calculator!

Last edited by honeybee : 30th September 2013 at 01:29.

Most Viewed