Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 22:22   #5401
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
On reddit.com there is a user named something like "edited_later_so_you_look_stupid". As you can imagine, most people that reply to his posts end up regretting it!

On Team-BHP, its a discussion (and sometimes debate) format. If people keep going back and changing their points/views on things, it makes the discussion disjointed and somewhat misleading for others reading the thread, and unfair for those involved in the discussion.

30 minutes is plenty of time to correct typos, fix stupid mistakes and fine-tune your point. Beyond that, you an always report the post asking mods to make a change. There are some disadvantages to a limited edit period (eg. ownership threads), but the Assembly Line section makes up for this to a great extent.

cya
R
Got it.

I asked because 30 mins is sufficient time to proof-read and correct your posts but sometimes some things go unnoticed and they come to your attention later.

I guess things are better the way they are since we can always use the 'Report Post' feature as you mentioned.

Thanks R.
Old 25th October 2013, 10:42   #5402
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if this is the right place to put it. Is it possible for team-bhp to do a quick review of the Vento TSI? Everyone says that since it is the same engine and gearbox as the Polo TSI and since the Vento is not too much heavier than the polo, performance levels will be similar.

But it would be good to get an official team bhp stamp
Old 25th October 2013, 11:51   #5403
BHPian

Hello Mods,

Just out of curiosity I was going through 'member's list' and found that there are lot of members who had last visited the forum on "1st Jan 1970" also many who last visited a decade ago in 2004.
So my question,is there any way to "cleanse" the member list, so that our Team-bhp member count actually got active members?
Old 25th October 2013, 16:23   #5404
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Is it possible for team-bhp to do a quick review of the Vento TSI?
We'll try to squeeze that in, but next-up we're doing the opposite! The 1.6 TDI from the Vento, in the Polo (GT TDI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
So my question,is there any way to "cleanse" the member list, so that our Team-bhp member count actually got active members?
This has been brought up quite a few times before. Search the thread for a longer answer, but the short answer is that deleting these members serves no real purpose.

cya
R
Old 26th October 2013, 18:32   #5405
Senior - BHPian

Do we still need to keep the policy of having the Newbie posts moderated before they appear on the forum?

I've noticed a few posts from folks in Newbie level receiving infractions, which means one of the moderators approved the post without noticing it and somebody else from Mod team had to give the infraction. I'm fully aware of the load on the Mods currently and my intention is not to say that Mods are not moderating properly. I was just wondering if the approval on newbie posts can be removed to free up valuable time for the Mods since they'll receive infractions anyway if there is a violation, just like any other member.

What is in it for the regular members? Avoiding the annoyance of receiving a quoted alert for a reply by a Newbie, only to find that the post is still not visible in the forum. By the time it is visible after approval, it could actually be 'hidden' under the pile of replies by regular members which came after the post.

Quote:
On reddit.com there is a user named something like "edited_later_so_you_look_stupid". As you can imagine, most people that reply to his posts end up regretting it!
In case of some valuable replies from Newbies, this is precisely what happens. There would be a few replies by regular members which happen after the Newbie post, before it becomes visible. If we visit the thread later, readers might actually think of these replies as downright stupid since someone has already clarified before their posts and the members don't seem to understand it! If Newbie has leveled up by then, there is no way to know that the post was written by a Newbie back then.

Last edited by zenren : 26th October 2013 at 18:33.
Old 26th October 2013, 20:26   #5406
BHPian

Quote:
This has been brought up quite a few times before. Search the thread for a longer answer, but the short answer is that deleting these members serves no real purpose.

cya
R
Many a member may not login but visit the site daily! (myself included)
Old 27th October 2013, 11:02   #5407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Do we still need to keep the policy of having the Newbie posts moderated before they appear on the forum?
I believe we do, yes. Despite the posting rules being posted as a sticky in every sub forum, it is observed that some members only internalise these after trial and error . Moderating the first 25 posts usually helps newbies more than they realise.
Quote:
I've noticed a few posts from folks in Newbie level receiving infractions, which means one of the moderators approved the post without noticing it and somebody else from Mod team had to give the infraction.
This may not necessarily be the case. Sometimes public deletion and/or infraction helps reinforce good posting habits, especially for Newbies. Most members take this in the right spirit.
Quote:
I'm fully aware of the load on the Mods currently and my intention is not to say that Mods are not moderating properly. I was just wondering if the approval on newbie posts can be removed to free up valuable time for the Mods since they'll receive infractions anyway if there is a violation, just like any other member.
Thanks. The current system is working fine now. We will certainly relook it as and when needed.

Quote:
What is in it for the regular members? Avoiding the annoyance of receiving a quoted alert for a reply by a Newbie, only to find that the post is still not visible in the forum. By the time it is visible after approval, it could actually be 'hidden' under the pile of replies by regular members which came after the post.
Is this really such a major issue? Typically newbie posts get approved in less than 12 hours, maybe a bit more on weekends. I can understand if there is a quote alert for a newbie post that has been deleted (will lead to a dead link). But such cases are few and far in between.
Old 27th October 2013, 11:43   #5408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Is this really such a major issue? Typically newbie posts get approved in less than 12 hours, maybe a bit more on weekends. I can understand if there is a quote alert for a newbie post that has been deleted (will lead to a dead link). But such cases are few and far in between.
I believe the quote alert (even for a Newbie) is linked to the post submission event and not the post approval event. Unless the quoted member is offline at the time of submission and sees the alert after the post gets approved, replies from a newbie are not visible and people forget about it by the time it gets approved, having already got the alert.

Any chance we can change the quoted alert from Newbie to be generated once the post is approved instead of when they submit it, or generate an additional alert linked with approval event to any user who is referred in the post?
Old 29th October 2013, 15:56   #5409
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I see your point about the fact that the incorrect or inappropriate posts will be correct anyway -- but do keep in mind that the ones you see are very few. A vast majority of them are deleted at the newbie post-moderation stage itself. If we let all these through and then had to hunt them out to correct/remove them, it would be quite messy for readers and probably more work.

Quote:
What is in it for the regular members? Avoiding the annoyance of receiving a quoted alert for a reply by a Newbie, only to find that the post is still not visible in the forum.
What you're saying here makes perfect sense. Unfortunately we are restricted by the software here...

cya
R
Old 3rd November 2013, 07:54   #5410
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: m.team-bhp.com : The Team-BHP Mobile Site

I've been looking around the forum trying to figure out how to upload photographs for "my garage". I know how to upload photographs, but how do I get them into "my garage"?

thanks

Jeroen
Old 4th November 2013, 20:40   #5411
Senior - BHPian

Rehaan, can't the software send out alerts after the mods approve the newbies posts?
One more suggestion. For the official reviews, is it possible to include 0-60 and 0-100 timings? I believe you folks do an extremely detailed review and including these facts should add lot of value to the review. Currently, as per me, it is only autocar who publish accurate figures.
Old 5th November 2013, 16:29   #5412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I've been looking around the forum trying to figure out how to upload photographs for "my garage".
Click this link on the forum homepage:

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot-20131105162736.png

cya
R

@ blue_pulsar - Will reply to you soon.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th November 2013 at 18:03.
Old 5th November 2013, 17:24   #5413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1162225

cya
R
On the same topic, can we hope to get the slideshow back for garage pics? AFAIR, it got lost sometime back due to forum software upgrade. Or is there a way currently to view garage pics as a slideshow or something similar where I don't have to go back and forth?
Old 5th November 2013, 22:25   #5414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

cya
R

@ blue_pulsar - Will reply to you soon.
Thanks, i never noticed that! Real stupid of me!
Jeroen
Old 11th November 2013, 20:04   #5415
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Forum software is acting up in wierd ways.

1. Pages are timing out randomely
2. Pages are getting mixed up
3. Junk charaters are getting inserted in response.

E.g:

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-tbhp_issue.png

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks