Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 15:30   #5641
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I was getting the problem in Firefox. This works for me in IE though.
Strange! Maybe clearing cache in Firefox will help?

Curious to know if you're experiencing similar issues (or slow page loading) on other threads / pages frequently?

cya
R
Old 25th June 2014, 16:00   #5642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

@ Others - will reply to your posts soon!
txt and chat lingo is banned on the forum, and this is strictly implemented, but the twitter-specific @usage seems to escape the filters. Talking in @s and #s is just as bad use of language as leaving the vowels out or using jargon abbreviations.

Of course, nothing personal: this has been brewing with me for a long time
Old 25th June 2014, 16:06   #5643
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
How about a 'selling ' thread in Team Bhp?
Hi Samba, like a few others have said. We try to keep the forum completely non-commercial. With a thread like this, it could end up being mis-used and also create problems like buy-sell threads on other forums tend to create. We'd rather steer clear of that for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Errrm Rehaan, the http/https issue has resurfaced. The images posted in line wouldn’t load. Like this:
Sorry for the late reply.

Is this still happening? Is it happening on every thread or only official reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
It would be really great if Team BHP had a "Car of the Year" award and other such awards like best driver's car, best bang for buck, best rear seats, best A.S.S ....etc.
Honestly, I personally think that how good a car is depends on the needs of the specific person buying it! Our reviews are pretty exhaustive, and i think they are the best tool for choosing (personally I'm not even a fan of the COTY poll). Having different categories for COTY will just dilute the whole thing even further IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Immediately from the Inbox I tried opening the corresponding thread, but I couldn't see the post yet.
vb-san is spot on here. The newbie's post hadn't been approved (and hence wasn't visible) yet. Sorry that's a drawback of the way our software currently works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Folks, In the interest of safety of the motoring community pan-India I would like to suggest our moderation team to plan out stickers regarding seat belt usage.
We do currently have the "Drive Safe" sticker. Lets see if we can do another safety-related one too.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th June 2014 at 16:10.
Old 25th June 2014, 16:08   #5644
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply.

Is this still happening? Is it happening on every thread or only official reviews?
In every thread unfortunately. I figured out later that this was because of our company's IT policy. In the IT admin's system, all the images load fine. :(

I am adding https:// to the images manually whichever I intend to view. Not a biggie.
Old 25th June 2014, 16:21   #5645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
txt and chat lingo is banned on the forum, and this is strictly implemented, but the twitter-specific @usage seems to escape the filters. Talking in @s and #s is just as bad use of language as leaving the vowels out or using jargon abbreviations.
True that it ain't perfect English (), but i don't think it detrimentally effects readability (in fact i use it to enhance readability).

For example, when i type "@ Thad", at the start of a line, i think it has a better chance of catching Thad's eye, vs "Hey Thad" etc etc.

The "@" has almost found its place in online English, right beside other symbols like the ampersand. It's also a carry-over from other softwares (eg. facebook, twitter and some other forums) where using the symbol as a prefix sends a notification to that username.

Hashtags on the other hand... I'm not a fan!

Quote:
In every thread unfortunately. I figured out later that this was because of our company's IT policy. In the IT admin's system, all the images load fine. :(
Before we try and find a workaround for this : Why are you using httpS anyway?

Also, does your office system allow you to install chrome add ons?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th June 2014 at 16:24.
Old 25th June 2014, 16:29   #5646
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Before we try and find a workaround for this : Why are you using httpS anyway?
Without https in the URL, the forum wouldn't load. I get an Access Denied message. The forum gets flagged under Blogs. But with https, the page loads fine minus the images embedded in a post. If I have to view the images, I have to open them separately in a new tab and add https to the URL.

If the images are not embedded within a post, it shows up just fine.

Quote:
Also, does your office system allow you to install chrome add ons?
Unfortunately, no. The Chrome Web Store is banned.
Old 25th June 2014, 16:32   #5647
Team-BHP Support

VIMEO embedding is now supported:

Just like how we already have it for YouTube videos, simply paste the link into your post and the rest will happen automagically.

Thanks Tejas@perioimpl for bringing this up.

cya
R
Old 25th June 2014, 17:06   #5648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But with https, the page loads fine minus the images embedded in a post.
If the images are not embedded within a post, it shows up just fine.
It is unlikely anything on our site has changed / caused this issue to re-surface. I'm guessing it's probably a change on your office network (or maybeee Chrome).

Nonetheless, thanks for pointing out the difference between the embedded and non-embedded links. That helps - I'll look into this.

In the meanwhile - can your try all the skins (except Mobile) and let me know if it works on any of them?

cya
R
Old 25th June 2014, 18:32   #5649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True that it ain't perfect English (), but i don't think it detrimentally effects readability (in fact i use it to enhance readability).

For example, when i type "@ Thad", at the start of a line, i think it has a better chance of catching Thad's eye, vs "Hey Thad" etc etc.

The "@" has almost found its place in online English, right beside other symbols like the ampersand. It's also a carry-over from other softwares (eg. facebook, twitter and some other forums) where using the symbol as a prefix sends a notification to that username.
No. There must still be very many of us that have never used twitter and probably never will. To us it has no basis, either in language or in practicality. It annoys me as much as yr does. Most of us are fairly sensitive to seeing our own names, and bold helps more than anything.

I guess this is a lost cause: I'll shut up now

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th June 2014 at 18:45. Reason: Moved that post to the English thread :)
Old 25th June 2014, 18:50   #5650
Senior - BHPian

Is there a way to find/record/document the BHP-RPM curve for each of the vehicles test driven? Perhaps by asking manufacturers.

I realized that most specifications list out only the peak BHP - which is absolutely useless since most of the vehicles are started at 1000 RPM, driven around with gear shift at 1500-2000 RPM range.

BHP figures at 1000/1500/2000/2500 (or the curves) will give a spot on measure of "drivability" of the vehicle and comparison instead of resorting to unquantifiable means.
Old 25th June 2014, 18:52   #5651
Senior - BHPian

How about including the month/year in news article titles?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...perations.html can be misleading if viewed in search results a few months / years down the lines. What happens is that some user may still post in it many years later, showing the thread as active after years, but the original context may no longer be valid. Setting the title appropriately highlights its vintage to the reader.
Old 29th June 2014, 07:45   #5652
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP moving to E2E Networks. EDIT: Done!

Hi Mods,

I drafted a thread in the assembly line section and submitted it. But, after reporting the post to be shifted, my post count started increasing everytime I reported the post.

My post count was 500 when drafting the thread, but after submitting the thread the post count started ticking. Now it is at 503+1(this one). (IIRC I reported the post 2 more times since there was a spelling error.)

Kindly look into it, maybe its a glitch.

Regards,

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 29th June 2014 at 07:46.
Old 29th June 2014, 13:28   #5653
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The (new?) minimum 20 character per post rule seems an overkill for some threads like the Picture of quirky signs, etc where the picture can itself be worth a thousand words! Maybe even for Shifting gears section it may not make sense.
Old 29th June 2014, 14:58   #5654
Distinguished - BHPian

+1

.... which is exactly what you don't want to see a dozen posts containing. They have to draw the line somewhere.

In most forum areas the Thanks button renders this unnecessary. This has been discussed extensively in the past. I can appreciate the team's reasons for excluding certain sections, but I really think they should re-examine the classification. At the moment (for example), we can thank for a quirky sign, which is just a joke thing, but we cannot thank for valuable health advice for pets or people.

I know the mods are always active and busy to make sure posts and threads are in the best places, but perhaps another look at this aspect might be in order?
Old 30th June 2014, 03:30   #5655
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP moving to E2E Networks. EDIT: Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I drafted a thread in the assembly line section and submitted it. But, after reporting the post to be shifted, my post count started increasing everytime I reported the post.

My post count was 500 when drafting the thread, but after submitting the thread the post count started ticking.
Hello Mods,

Even I am facing the same issue, till date I have posted a total no. of 75 posts which includes 11 posts in Around the corner threads. So my actual post count should be 64 but it's showing 69, after reporting few posts.

Kindly look into it.

Regards.

Last edited by KING DYSP : 30th June 2014 at 03:55. Reason: Correction

Most Viewed