Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2015, 23:02   #5851
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

This might have been asked/suggested before but can we get chat functionality added to the website.

As its rightly said above stickers can be copied so in my opinion it makes no sense to issue special ones just for the members. Moreover its a additional source of income and more stickers out there the better. Free advertisement!
Old 22nd February 2015, 17:01   #5852
Senior - BHPian

I am facing a lot of delay (practically not loading) for the 'Make' options to load in the classifieds section where we check the value of a used car. Anybody else?

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-.jpg
Old 26th February 2015, 13:28   #5853
BHPian

Ok, so this might not be a welcome suggestion, but please hear me out.

I've seen many posts these days about X car delivering Y fuel efficiency in the city and Z fuel efficiency on the highway.

Now, call me crazy, flame me all you want, but isn't that a bit too easy to do?

I mean, all one has to do, to claim that their vehicle is delivering stellar fuel efficiency, is just write the damn thing in the post!

So, here's my suggestion.
Is it possible to include a clause that says - "If you're going to mention your cars/bikes fuel efficiency on your thread, better back it up with some data".

What data, you ask?
Um, most cars these days have a Fuel Efficiency thingamajig in the MID. Folks should take a pic of that.
Also, if someone has been using an app, perhaps they should take a screenshot/picture of that, and add it to their post. Adds credibility & makes a bit of sense, no?

Now, before ya'll get all ballistic and decide to ban me forever, please know that I have seen some threads where the owners do this. And I find it absolutely brilliant!

However, it is not a practice that is followed by one and all, who start an ownership thread. So, maybe we can include that as a clause in ownership threads?

Feel free to flame me if you like
Old 26th February 2015, 14:30   #5854
BHPian

Well I just bumped into this thread and couldn't read all the suggestions, so forgive me if this has been suggested earlier too :

I was wondering if we can have a Check-in button. Since we already have an application in our mobile phones for Team Bhp. If someone wants to be visible to fellow BHPians, he can check in where he goes, just like we do it on Facebook. If a fellow BHPian checks in around where I am, I would drop in a message to him just to meet and say hi. I guess this would help spread the brotherhood.

It might happen, I am roaming in a mall, and we have 5-6 Bhpians there at the same time, but none of them know each other, or that they all are there. Whoever doesn't want his location to be public, he can choose not to check in.
Old 27th February 2015, 00:35   #5855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post

I've seen many posts these days about X car delivering Y fuel efficiency in the city and Z fuel efficiency on the highway.

I mean, all one has to do, to claim that their vehicle is delivering stellar fuel efficiency, is just write the damn thing in the post!

Is it possible to include a clause that says - "If you're going to mention your cars/bikes fuel efficiency on your thread, better back it up with some data".

What data, you ask?
Um, most cars these days have a Fuel Efficiency thingamajig in the MID. Folks should take a pic of that.
Also, if someone has been using an app, perhaps they should take a screenshot/picture of that, and add it to their post. Adds credibility & makes a bit of sense, no? ... ... ...
It is an interesting idea. I support it in principle (no flames ) but I am not so sure of the practice.

According to me, all claims of fuel consumption should be taken with a pinch of salt. Driver A's results in car X cannot be directly compared with Driver B's results in car y. There are two many variables, from terrain to driving style. Even if we remove all the corners and give A and B a straight, flat road to drive, they are going to accelerate differently, change gear at slightly different speeds, etc etc etc. Translating this to real life, where braking and cornering happens too, things get even less consistent.

Real tests of fuel consumption/efficiency would be controlled pieces of engineering. Driver to driver comparison is anecdotal and conversational.
Old 3rd March 2015, 15:34   #5856
Team-BHP Support

Rehaan, there’s no way we can report PMs? It would be good to have the Report button for PMs as well.
Old 3rd March 2015, 21:05   #5857
BHPian

If a member reports the post through Report button, then 'Thanks' count can be incremented instead of 'Post' count (provided the reported post is valid).

Last edited by Grand Drive : 3rd March 2015 at 21:08.
Old 3rd March 2015, 21:21   #5858
BHPian

I believe we can largely increase the quality of discussion and viewership if we add an option to view the posts in order of thanks. Agreed, this might defeat the purpose of a forum and might make it a like fest like Facebook. But with threads running in 100s of pages, sometimes valuable information becomes inaccessible for the sole reason that its lost in a maze of 100s of pages.

We should let the default mode be time, and the reader should simply have an option to be able to look at the most valuable information in one go.
Old 4th March 2015, 12:27   #5859
BHPian

I feel an individual notification to a member when he receives a 'Thanks' from an another user would be a good addition.
Also, the feature to delete posts in case of any grammatical/photographic errors which would be realised after a while would be pretty useful too.
Old 4th March 2015, 13:02   #5860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
I feel an individual notification to a member when he receives a 'Thanks' from an another user would be a good addition.

Similar to facebook, when someone thanked you, if a small pop-up window opened to notify the member, it would be quite awesome.
Old 4th March 2015, 23:58   #5861
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree. I'm sure many thanks go unnoticed. The IndiaMike notifications works well: a dropdown, which lists posts answered and thanks. In fact, come to think of it, quite a few forums have something like that.
Old 5th March 2015, 00:03   #5862
Senior - BHPian

3 Pages of suggestions and no response from Mods ?
Rehaan - Where are you man ?
Old 5th March 2015, 01:45   #5863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
3 Pages of suggestions and no response from Mods ?
Rehaan - Where are you man ?
I will try to answer what I can for rest wait for Rehaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
This might have been asked/suggested before but can we get chat functionality added to the website.
Chat has been ruled out long time ago, n too much noise, trolling and unnecessary discussion. No value at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post

Feel free to flame me if you like
LOL why would we flame or ban you for a genuine suggestion? Its a great suggestion but difficult to implement. I agree with what Thad mentioned, there are too many factors that come into play so even if we were to impose such a rule it wont guarantee a reliable way to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
I was wondering if we can have a Check-in button. Since we already have an application in our mobile phones for Team Bhp.

It might happen, I am roaming in a mall, and we have 5-6 Bhpians there at the same time, but none of them know each other, or that they all are there.
Interesting suggestion, not sure if the forum software supports it or not. For now meet section is probably the best way to arrange a meet.

Also you probably don't want your spouse to complain that you spoiled the shopping visit to mall because you were yapping with a TBhpian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
If a member reports the post through Report button, then 'Thanks' count can be incremented instead of 'Post' count (provided the reported post is valid).
For 99% of the reported posts, the reporter's post is thanked by atleast one mod. The 1% are the ones which are not valid reports.

Quote:
Also, the feature to delete posts in case of any grammatical/photographic errors which would be realised after a while would be pretty useful too.
The posts are editable for the first 30 minutes. Post that you can always report the post for desired changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

Similar to facebook, when someone thanked you, if a small pop-up window opened to notify the member, it would be quite awesome.
Interesting suggestions, not sure if forum software supports this.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th March 2015 at 21:25. Reason: corrected as pointed out by Gannu :)
Old 5th March 2015, 09:14   #5864
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would request everyone to proof read their posts prior to submitting.

While typing the post in the reply icon, click on *Go Advanced* This will take you to an independent page for formatting your reply better. Now, you may click on *Preview Post* and see for yourself as to wherever you have erred.

Saying all this, as yesterday I posted a reply in the Motorbikes section, didn't proof read & reported my post for necessary edits. Moderators are always bundled with work, this is an addition [& unnecessary] work for them, which can be avoided if we are careful.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The posts are editable for the first 15 minutes. Post that you can always report the post for desired changes.
Old 5th March 2015, 09:32   #5865
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The posts are editable for the first 15 minutes.
Correction - 30 minutes.

Most Viewed