Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2007, 07:22   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

Temp threads?

Would it help to have a temporary threads section ?

It could be used for asking for something that one is looking for immediately, but does not need to remain on the web-server for ever. If possible, we could have flag to delete the question after a pre-decided period of time.
Old 12th March 2007, 14:53   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Interesting idea Godfather,

However, hosting videos takes up a lot of bandwidth, so alternatively, the BHP Garage owner could just post a link to a YouTube video in his garage... what say?

cya
R
Forgot all about bandwidth.. not to mention server space..
I am all in for the YouTube idea.. lets see what the members here have to say about it??

Godfather
Old 13th March 2007, 18:01   #513
BHPian

Is there any way to search for particular car make/model in BHP garage?
Old 14th March 2007, 06:05   #514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Is there any way to search for particular car make/model in BHP garage?
I dont think there is a way in the BHP Garage ... maybe it is being developed for the next version of the plugin.... ?

BUT, heres a hack way -

Paste the following line EXACTLY as is, in google, and replace xxxxxx with the model/make you want eg. swift or mercedes

xxxxxx "gallery list" site:team-bhp.com

cya
R
Old 14th March 2007, 10:47   #515
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great suggestion, sbasak. Have put it up to the programmer. Thanks!
Old 16th March 2007, 05:21   #516
BANNED

The T-BHP referral system seems to be not working. Please take necessary action.
Old 20th March 2007, 17:20   #517
BHPian

Post count again

Hello

I wanted to add my comments on the post count thread but it was closed too fast.

I would like to suggest that posts under the shifting gears section should be added. There are a lot of meaningful and important topics discussed there and it also helps the members to gain all round knowledge and perspective. Why treat it as unimportant?

Secondly, the mods should not be so fast in closing threads, let the members also express their viewson a given thread for some time at least.

Thanks
Old 20th March 2007, 18:25   #518
GTO
Team-BHP Support

mrhap, We have arrived at the post count policy after much discussion. That cannot change.
Old 21st March 2007, 00:07   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
mrhap, We have arrived at the post count policy after much discussion. That cannot change.
Forgive me for asking, but is this a democratic forum? Your reply "That cannot change" sounds too authoritarian. There has not been any attempt at an explanation, any way forward for hearing different members' views, nor a chance to bounce ideas back and forth, just a curt"this cannot change".

Policies and laws are always subject to review after time and scenario changes. Even the biggest of nations have changed and re-changed their policies and laws when the time and situation demanded it. Even if they have not changed it, they have allowed a forum for discussion and a way forward, shown a will for free thinking and flexibility. But your comment:"that cannot change" sounds as if we are in the 20th century USSR.

I would humbly ask you to at least ask different members' what they think about this particular topic presently. On a more generic basis I would request all moderators to adopt a more inclusive and open-minded moderation policy.

Thanks
Old 21st March 2007, 01:02   #520
Team-BHP Support

Mrhap,

Your views on democracy and the need for constant change of policies is very sound, and believe me, we comepletely agree with it, and do practice it as well.

You can take a look through this thread and see how every suggestion has been addressed, and many of them adopted.

As for your post count suggestion, we have discussed this thoroughly in the past (in the support forum as well), and only recently (about a year back?) decided to make shifting gears, introduce yourself etc not count in the tally. The main drive is to improve / assess the quality of posts of newbies, and that is difficult to do in these forums, where posting 2 posts is just as easy as posting 20.

Also, one you are past 50 posts, the post count does not count for much. Everyone notices quality posts, quantity doesnt count for much.

Hope that clarifies things and gives you a better idea on how we function.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st March 2007 at 01:04.
Old 24th March 2007, 13:00   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Should we have also have a brief intro of the member in the member's Public profile itself ?
Old 24th March 2007, 13:45   #522
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhap
There are a lot of meaningful and important topics discussed there and it also helps the members to gain all round knowledge and perspective. Why treat it as unimportant?
Unimportant or important is not the point here. It's an easy section to reply anything to increase post counts. This is from our experience and we did take enough time implement that rule.

However, I totally agree with you on meaningful and important topics in Shifting gears.

Also anybody's contributing in any meaningful discussion shouldn't be bothered about post count. Because his/her focus is not on post counts but to improve the quality of board.

What say?
Old 24th March 2007, 13:55   #523
BHPian

I second Rudra Sir, Its not a matter of How much you post - Its what you post...We are not in some race to have the highest Post counts, Check on the longtime users such as GTO,Rudra,Rehaan,Ishaan,Shantanu,Tsk1979,Samurai.. .Many more..! See their average post counts compared with duration..! You will Understand what we are talking about .
Old 27th March 2007, 15:06   #524
BHPian

Suggestion related to polls

Not sure whether this is suggested earlier.In Team-BHP there are a number of polls happening on various topics. The result of these polls are very valuable since the replies are from individuals from very diverse backgrounds, with one of their interests (regarding Automobiles) common. I think most of the companies will go any length to get the results from these kind of surveys. Is it possible to make the Poll results be accessible to only members rather than for all guests. Not that this will be a huge deterrent , but at least there is a basic level of protection

Best regards
Deepu
Old 27th March 2007, 15:18   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepug View Post
I think most of the companies will go any length to get the results from these kind of surveys. Is it possible to make the Poll results be accessible to only members rather than for all guests.
Deepug,

Having manufacturers look at our polls and act on the opinions in their models/strategy is the best thing that can happen . Else, the forum would be a tiger without teeth.

Last edited by theMAG : 27th March 2007 at 15:33.

Most Viewed