Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2016, 22:11   #6121
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Also like you pointed out, it can be useful in case of breakdowns too like for e.g. a dead battery which might need a jump start to go to the nearest garage

Nevertheless this was just a thought which to my mind and thought of penning it here. Please do feel free to shoot it down
Taking a serious view, this system can be implemented. There is this ICE (In case of emergency) app by Mumbai police-if we find ourselves in an emergency situation,a button can be pushed. I do not know the technicalities but it seems that about 10 policemen in a 3 K.M radius will receive the distress SOS and will respond in a short time. Also the SOS sender will receive live updates about the action being initiated.

Almost everyone has a smartphone enabled with GPS, if something like this can be incorporated in the T-BHP app, it can be a potential life saver, especially if one is out of town. Say i am involved in an accident in a different state far from my home.My location is being tracked by google maps.I fire up the T-BHP app and push the emergency button.

My location along with a distress SOS gets circulated to all the BHPians within a 10 KM radius and then they can respond. Even if our GPS is not on all the time, the least we can do is create a go-to emergency list for some specific cities. This said list can be fed into the app and can contain the contact details of the people who have volunteered to help in an emergency. Also since we have a blood group poll here on the forum, that data can also be fed into the app. The more i think about what you have mentioned, the more i believe this is doable.
Old 19th July 2016, 18:09   #6122
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Reason I am saying is, there are plenty of people who take it for granted to have access to those pdf detailed brochures, accessory list etc right now, however once the model goes out of production, this material becomes hard to find, and there is some useful info on those few pages, especially for pre-owned car buyers.
I understand Ace, but official reviews aren't the place to park those. Because our reviews are already so detailed, we have to be very, very selective about adding new stuff.

For important cars, good members like yourself can add the pdf brochures to your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
There should be a provision to see ONLY photos of a particular thread.
There already is!

1. Enter the thread title in the search box on our photo gallery.

2. Hit the attachment icon next to the thread title (in forum view).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
There should be an option to see all ownership reviews of a particular car together.
Search, buddy Search.

Sample search for i20 reviews in the reviews forum. You could also sort it by thread start date (i.e. latest first):

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-capture.jpg

Quote:
This got me thinking if there was a way to have an SOS button just on the TBHP mobile app which can make use of the built in mobile GPS and other TBHPians around in nearby areas can go and help if possible.
Too many sensitive issues there, pal. Team-BHP cannot offer such a feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
In the last post of a review, when you list competitors, please add links to official reviews (if available) of the cars.
Adding anything else to that post will make it too cluttered (honestly, it already is a bit cluttered).

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
^^ an alternative would be to organise/attend meets, connect with your nearby BHPians and make lasting friendships.
I'd rather have a friend by my side than a complete stranger.
Old 20th July 2016, 19:38   #6123
BHPian

i am like a proverbial teenager who is fascinated with all the things 'Team-BHP'. can i request if we can have more options in inventory. i would love to have Mac-sticker of Team-BHP for my MBA. At the same time i would like to have T shirts and Travel bags too. team-bhp Mobile case, Magnet stickers, cap and what not. oh no! i think i can't get enough of it. i know having a merchandise line isn't so easy, so as of now probably T- shirts would be great.
Old 21st July 2016, 07:55   #6124
Senior - BHPian

A bit OT, so if there is a thread discussing this mods - please move there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurchaturvedi View Post
There is this ICE (In case of emergency) app by Mumbai police-if we find ourselves in an emergency situation,a button can be pushed. I do not know the technicalities but it seems that about 10 policemen in a 3 K.M radius will receive the distress SOS and will respond in a short time.
The problem with this sort of arrangement without a centralized C&C setup is, how do those 10 people decide among themselves (with near-zero latency) who will respond to this distress call? How would the system know whether they are not already responding to another distress call or other emergency situation (these are policemen, after all)? None of the agencies who ask for ICE setups on mobiles want to answer these questions.

Quote:
Almost everyone has a smartphone enabled with GPS.
Factually, that is wrong - for example, see: http://www.thehindu.com/news/article8186543.ece - "India has become the second-biggest smartphone market in terms of active unique smartphone users, crossing 220 million users". 220 million is still less than a fifth of India's population.

Also, GPS only lets your mobile device know where it is. It does not let the rest of the world know that fact. To do the latter, you need a working data connection on our mobile - which not everyone subscribes to, and whose coverage is not as universal as we'd want it to be.

Quote:
Say i am involved in an accident in a different state far from my home.My location is being tracked by google maps.I fire up the T-BHP app and push the emergency button.
If you are involved in an accident, you need to call the countrywide ER number. Why do you think a random T-BHP reader would be able to help you better than the police or ambulance services? In all probability the member can only dial the ER number themselves, but (a) with considerable additional delay and (b) unable to be precise about the location and nature of the accident.
Old 21st July 2016, 08:23   #6125
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the first things that attracted me to this forum is when I saw that references to high-speeds/rash driving are either being deleted or cut-out. This was refreshing to see and indeed it caused a change in myself as well. Normally one would read all about high-speed conquests wherever car lovers meet but this showed me that Team-BHP is above big brands, high speeds or taking risks.. this place has done more than its share as far as safety awareness is concerned.

However, still there are rants running into the tens of hundreds on encountering rash driving, facing difficult motorists on the road, road-rage etc. Having to face all these aspects myself on an almost daily basis I feel the roads are no longer the home that they used to be. I'm wondering since the readership outside of members is very high, i.e perhaps many tens of times higher than the member count itself which would be a couple of million at the very least, if we could do a Safety Month thing on T-Bhp. I was thinking that doing it in August would be a good idea since its the month when India got independence.

I don't have much idea on how to make it differ from the already existing rant threads and driving safety threads, but maybe just a home-page link to a thread in Indian Car Scene saying "Lets make the roads safer". I know if people have already perused our Accidents in India and Road-Rage thread and still haven't understood the importance of safety, the chances of them ever getting it is next to zero but maybe we should give it home-page importance to see if it clicks?
Old 21st July 2016, 08:55   #6126
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This got me thinking if there was a way to have an SOS button just on the TBHP mobile app which can make use of the built in mobile GPS and other TBHPians around in nearby areas can go and help if possible.

Sorry if this idea sounds stupid...
The idea is definitely not stupid, it is good and for a good cause as well. However, this is better handled by local law enforcement agencies or even various social user groups where members are well connected on a personal level.
Old 27th July 2016, 17:07   #6127
Distinguished - BHPian

At times, a thread title is renamed to reflect a key change. For instance:

Old Title
Quote:
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine.
New Title
Quote:
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!
My suggestion here is that when the title is renamed with either an 'EDIT' or 'UPDATE', we add the page number of that revision into the title. For example:

Suggested New Title
Quote:
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT p13: Owner sells Fabia as scrap!
It increases the title by only a few letters, but more importantly, it makes it easier for a reader to know where that update lies in a thread spanning many pages. And indirectly, it helps avoid a bit of confusion - for example, when I see new posts in a thread with 'EDIT' in its title, I don't know if that revision has occurred recently and discussions are related to that revision, or if the revision is older.
Old 27th July 2016, 19:15   #6128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
My suggestion here is that when the title is renamed with either an 'EDIT' or 'UPDATE', we add the page number of that revision into the title.
Hi arunphilip, we already do this on threads where a critical piece of info may otherwise be lost, e.g.:

In an ownership review, the changes are typically ongoing, so we update the thread title on OP's request, e.g.

In some cases, we happily marry the two as well

If you think there is an existing thread where info may be missed out because of a missing page number, please report the post and we will take it up on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited by noopster : 27th July 2016 at 19:16.
Old 28th July 2016, 17:45   #6129
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Stickers are here! Post sightings & pics of them on your car

Mods, could we PLEASE also have some LIVE TO RIDE stickers included, because there are some serious TeamBhpians who own 'motorcycles' too and would love to use these on their bikes...

Cheers
Old 5th August 2016, 08:29   #6130

T-Bhp sightings are becoming common but there's no way to identify the owner/member at a glance. I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I believe there's enough space on the available stickers to print the member's TBHP handle - e.g mine would be @trishulpani - and this should be available when the stickers are ordered. This would also curb any fake stickers. Am sure there won't be much difference in the resulting price of the stickers. I'd be very interested if this becomes available any time soon!
Old 5th August 2016, 09:55   #6131
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Commitment to maintain Team-BHPs QUALITY!

Virus alert (?)

I have been getting a virus alert for the last 3-4 days, every time I login to Team-BHP forum. This is observed on all possible browsers and on Windows and Mac OS both. Can we please check this?

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-virus.png
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 10:00   #6132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Virus alert (?)

I have been getting a virus alert for the last 3-4 days, every time I login to Team-BHP forum.
Ajay - is it just your system ? I am not seeing this problem. .. and something like this would have got the Mod team's attention almost immediately..
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 12:52   #6133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
On the top right corner, would be good to provide hyper link to the handle pointing to the "view profile" url.
Here's a quick way to get to it:
Name:  Screenshot  20150915180905.png
Views: 280
Size:  55.7 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Mods, could we PLEASE also have some LIVE TO RIDE stickers included, because there are some serious TeamBhpians who own 'motorcycles' too and would love to use these on their bikes...
All new Team-BHP merchandise will be taking this into account

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishulpani View Post
T-Bhp sightings are becoming common but there's no way to identify the owner/member at a glance. I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I believe there's enough space on the available stickers to print the member's TBHP handle - e.g mine would be @trishulpani - and this should be available when the stickers are ordered. This would also curb any fake stickers. Am sure there won't be much difference in the resulting price of the stickers. I'd be very interested if this becomes available any time soon!
Been discussed several times in this thread. Unfortunately it's not possible to customize stickers and have longevity, due to difference in printing methods.
Old 5th August 2016, 14:38   #6134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Virus alert (?)
Thanks for reporting this Ajay_satpute.

There's a chance this could be a false positive from your virus program - FortiGuard?

Quote:
This is observed on all possible browsers and on Windows and Mac OS both.
Are you using FortiGuard on your Mac as well?

We've only had one other person report this (a moderator!) - and he uses the same AV.

Give us some time to look into this...
Old 5th August 2016, 14:42   #6135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thanks for reporting this Ajay_satpute.

There's a chance this could be a false positive from your virus program - FortiGuard?

Are you using FortiGuard on your Mac as well?

We've only had one other person report this (a moderator!) - and he uses the same AV.

Give us some time to look into this...
Bang on ! So shall I mark it as False Positive? But I have never seen this before, even with FortiGuard. It started occurring very recently.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks