Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2016, 20:10   #6166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Same is easily done when using a laptop. Is it a bug? The only option I get is to subscribe to already subscribed thread!
Are you sure? I don't ever recall being able to unsubscribe from a thread from this dropdown!

You'll have to go to UserCP > List Subscriptions

Then checkbox-select the thread/s you want to unsubscribe to, and then choose "Delete subscriptions" from the dropdown at the bottom...

(NOTE: If the checkboxes aren't visible on mobile, rotate your phone to landscape mode to display them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I was hoping that we could have a way of bookmarking posts on team-bhp itself; meaning, search for bookmarked posts just how we search for posts we've thanked/been thanked for.
Hmmm.. subscribe to the thread? PM the link to yourself for your next login?

That's all i can think of for your specific need...
Old 4th September 2016, 00:10   #6167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I'm unable to unsubscribe from a thread while browsing on a mobile device using Chrome. Same is easily done when using a laptop. Is it a bug? The only option I get is to subscribe to already subscribed thread!
Curious! i see the same thing on my desktop, with Firefox, and had thought that to unsubscribe vbs threads one had to go to the subscribed-threads list!
Old 4th September 2016, 09:29   #6168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
If I understand this right, all these solutions ask that I save the permalink as a bookmark. I login regularly through at least three devices and don't sign in on Chrome so I won't have those bookmarks accessible across these devices.
You probably are signing into Chrome; if you are using Android then it is a bit tough to avoid that. All you need to do is enable bookmarks syncing.

Syncing across multiple devices is something Google does well and many others screw up often (most recently, Swiftkey among the apps I use).
Old 6th September 2016, 11:21   #6169
Senior - BHPian

Like the special handling of youtube links, can we have similar treatment for tweets? Twitter makes this quite simple (https://dev.twitter.com/web/embedded-tweets) and I see that some plugins exist already on vbulletin.org.
Old 6th September 2016, 12:53   #6170
Distinguished - BHPian

Embedded tweets? I fear the site looking like BBC news! They don't seem to employ reporters to interview people any longer, they just copy their tweets!
Old 7th September 2016, 14:27   #6171
BHPian

Just a thought which came to mind now. Is it possible to have a "Favorite threads" Section for a bhpian where in I add a thread to that section and it always sits there. That way, if there is something that a bhpian plans to do later and might require the info on that thread, he/she can just mark it as favourites and save it for a reference later like for e.g. a DIY on scratch removal or some RTO process etc. If this is already available, it would help if someone can point me to it

EDIT - I am aware of the subscribe to a thread option but what I speak here is slightly different.
Old 10th September 2016, 14:06   #6172
BHPian

Cars on Team-BHP

Hello everyone, I am relatively new here on the forum but I have been following Team-BHP for well over 5 years now. I’ve been thinking about getting a petition or vote going about cars we/mods review. What I'm basically hoping for is lets say; today the moderator 'XYZ' reviews a Maruti 800.
Now we all know it’s a good decent car for its price, was the cash cow along with the Zen for Maruti all along its life span. So I'm thinking on this review page, right at the very top we add something like a yay or nay poll. A 'Yes, buy it' or a 'No, don't buy it". Now, I know cars are mostly subjective but lets take an example and go from there; Last car launched and reviewed here was the all new 2016 Audi A4. Its clearly evident the engine and pricing is going well against the car so from a 100 people vote you can expect about 80% or more of the people to go for the 'No, don't buy it' option. Whereas when someone puts up a review for the Baleno, we can expect bout 30% to 60% of the people saying 'Yes, buy it'.

I think this will allow a lot of people a clear indication of whether this car, any given car, is a good choice to buy. Anything between 30% to 70% Yes/No can mean it’s almost a personal taste. Like a choice between the Mercedes Benz A-class, BMW 1 series and the Mini Cooper. All in diesel avatars. About 33% would choose the A, 33% the 1 and the rest 33-34% would go for the Mini.
I have a friend, she's one of three sisters and she drives the A class. She has an elder sister and a younger sister. Upon each of them turning 18, their parents allowed them to buy any hatchback they so please with a humane engine i.e. anything between 100-160 BHP within 30,000 pounds. These friends of mine live in Scotland, UK. The eldest one chose the the Volkswagen Golf, middle one chose the A-classs and the youngest one the chose 1 series. Now all of them TD'd every car possible within this range, from the Alfa Romeos to the Volvos. They all chose their respective cars with personal taste.

So back to the reason why I've said this is upon the A-class review i can expect a 40% to 60% vote going either way so then someone can decide personally and choose out of pure individual reasons. On the other hand for the Audi A4 2016 model, 80% voting 'No, don't buy it' would mean its best to leave the car out of consideration. Now I know that the 1.4L petrol engine is underpowered and its an almost No from everyone, but upon the addition of their 2L petrol/diesel another poll could be added into that. Im sure this is something the mods could look into.
I mean if we put up a poll for every variant of every model, that could be too much but for every engine choice that could really help others. But in all fairness this is a decision the higher-ups here should make. Im just giving my two cents.

I think this would help people tremendously, especially the ones who aren't part of this forum as they can't ask questions and start threads regarding their dilemmas. I think this could be the way forward. What say BHPians?

Note to mods- Apologies if its placed wrong, couldn't find the exact place this should be put forth.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 14:38   #6173
BHPian

Re: Cars on Team-BHP

I appreciate your idea- this would give clear idea and recommendation to buyers and remove confusion. Or will it?

But, cars are highly subjective purchase.
1. Car Selection parameters are different for people of different mindsets. Some care about mileage, some don't.
2. Some are looking for their first car (complete product), some purchasing 3rd car of family to be chauffeured around (seeking comfort).
3. Every car segment has a hero product, but there is a very close 2nd and 3rd competitor as well - so in effect, there will be approx 3 cars in every segment getting recommendation.
4. The market is shifting, C2 Segment cars are entering D1 segment. Premium hatchbacks are entering sedan space in price points. With blurring boundaries, it will be difficult to make a recommendation - we can't say with absolute certainty between Polo and Ameo what will be better purchase. Of course it will depend from person to person.
ashishskapoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 14:56   #6174
Distinguished - BHPian

We have very detailed Official reviews and Ownership reviews. Buying a car is subjective decision. A prospective buyer can go through all the reviews and mainly drive the car himself and decide. Adding a general poll about all cars with variants etc would be biased. Many guys would cast their vote who have not even driven the car.
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 16:34   #6175
Senior - BHPian

Cars on Team-BHP

If Mods were comfortable with points/stars based review (3 out of 5, etc), polls or other methods used by Auto-mags, they would've done so long back.
It would amount to spoon feeding the common junta but most members here have some degree of car enthusiasm in them so they get a fair idea about what they are buying.
Come to think of it, they have in-built rating system for the review of the car which perfectly indicates how accurately the car is analysed.

P.S. - To the common junta, the What you'd like and What you won't points are more than enough if they understand enough.

Last edited by carwatcher : 10th September 2016 at 16:37.
carwatcher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 17:21   #6176
BHPian

And then, we also have "What car" section, for detailed discussion to meet individual/group requirements.
Moto_Hill is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 18:19   #6177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
...So I'm thinking on this review page, right at the very top we add something like a yay or nay poll. A 'Yes, buy it' or a 'No, don't buy it"...
Definitely a good thought. Am sure some of us have had it cross our minds definitely at some point or the other. I'd echo the previous posts here; no forum or review should spoon feed / bias the buying decision of a consumer. Most products aren't aimed squarely at any specific buying population; so, it'd never be accurate.

Imagine 2 prospective buyers looking at a specific product. Both of them may have different priorities - one may be an enthusiastic driver while the other one, who wants to be chauffeured all the time. One product definitely will not suit both these guys. While the product may have a "yes" from a driving pleasure, it may fail on the "Comfort" parameter or the other way around.

Our reviews cover even the minutest details and empowers someone to take a call, all by themselves! And that's exactly how it should be. They could reach out to their friends & family, or even read more on forums like ours to keep zeroing in on their priorities and preferences. Finally, it should be a TD that should seal the deal. This way, there is no scope for a dejection at any point of time as the complete decision making capacity lies with the customer.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 10th September 2016 at 18:47.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 18:33   #6178
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, to say "buy it" or "don't buy it" is subjective as well as personal (a bit harsh!). Buying a car depends on so many factors and it is not done by reading one or more reviews and/or voting alone.
If a prospective buyer (member) is benefitted in making an informed decision based on a review, he would definitely put that up on the same thread and it would help others too in their search. This will be more useful rather than Yes/No voting.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 19:09   #6179
BHPian

Yes, buying a car is totally subjective, but that doesn't mean having a poll for each new car's review is just waste of time. Numbers don't lie and IMO it is really good idea. At least a prospective buyer would get one more input, the teambhp vote score, for his buying decision. Nothing wrong with it.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 19:14   #6180
BHPian

A bad idea indeed. I believe we all are "car enthusiasts" with certain degree of bias against some car, some brand etc. We form opinions based on limited exposures to the cars we drive, what we read etc. To give an unbiased picture, we have official car review section. After going through the review, it is left to reader's conscience whether to buy that car. So the same can be done by a buyer.
Like I don't know a thing if someone asks me which car to buy with a 1 Cr budget. As, I have never driven expensive cars, I will just say buy Porsche based on my perception, liking of the brand. I can advice based on what experts have written over the forum.
This will encourage buyer to skip the detailed review and affect team-bhp's image. Such Poll might give a wrong picture.

Most Viewed