Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2016, 21:45   #6181
BHPian

Re: Cars on Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishskapoor View Post
I appreciate your idea- this would give clear idea and recommendation to buyers and remove confusion. Or will it?

But, cars are highly subjective purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
We have very detailed Official reviews and Ownership reviews. Buying a car is subjective decision..
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Definitely a good thought. Am sure some of us have had it cross our minds definitely at some point or the other. I'd echo the previous posts here; no forum or review should spoon feed / bias the buying decision of a consumer. Most products aren't aimed squarely at any specific buying population; so, it'd never be accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
In my opinion, to say "buy it" or "don't buy it" is subjective as well as personal (a bit harsh!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
A bad idea indeed.

Okay all you've said is true, how about instead of a Yay or Nay we go for star based or points based reviews?
Like we continue to do the reviews as we are, which btw is fantastic and by far the most comprehensive online and worldwide, but we start giving points for everything.

Like;
10 points for Exterior
10 points for Interior
10 points for Performance and Engine
10 points for Fuel Efficiency
10 points for Ride backseat
10 points for Handling
10 points for Features
10 points for Safety

So thats a total of 80 points, perhaps more could be added for other stuff which i may have missed out. If we can start scoring it this way, it may seem like its a copy from other sites and magazines but everyone does it. A rating is essential when reviewing the car. All these ratings are subjective, thats the point for all of us to do it. Im sure a better average comes when many people rate it instead of one or two biased or unbiased people. And also, if people not owning and driving the car is an issue, then perhaps have only people driven it add to the points tally. Believe me not many people pay such attention when buying a car, i know a few people who I've showed these Team-BHP reviews to and they just end up looking at the pictures and move on. A points based review with every respective category could help.

Also, y'all have missed the point where i said it'd be in percentages and anything between 30% to 70% would be completely and utterly subjective. Anything below or above would mean a dud or a must have if required.
However i put forth the 10 points for each category as my new and sincere opinion. We'll be able to rate cars at a better rate. Also there are many cars Team-BHP does not get to properly review for whatsoever reason, but at the same time some of these cars are driven by members of this group. I remember someone stating them driving and owning the BMW X5 E70 model as me. Me and him could easily rate this car as we've driven it for years. If he decides to do a proper review, I could give in with the points and review it there or vice versa. Although the E70 is an older gen model, so doing that would be redundant. Its just an example.
Old 11th September 2016, 00:11   #6182
BHPian

Re: Cars on Team-BHP

You miss a point here sir. The idea of involving public opinion as well as owner feedback is good no doubt, but this rating system can't be the way for it. For a simple reason that reviews should ideally present facts and figures, not make a suggestion. One would like to believe, that such a rating/opinion system would present a good idea of the the general feedback/preference of a car, but that doesn't exactly happen always either.

We actually do have one place where such ratings/opinions of people count, or rather is the ONLY thing that counts: The TBHP Car of the Year Award. There it's solely the members who rate cars and state which one they would like to buy. However as we've come to see, the TBHPCOTY results have had a Tendulkar-hundred effect on the winning cars, and most have in fact fallen flat on the sales charts!

The thing is, the car itself is just a part of the buying deal here in the Indian market. The overall buyership and ownership experience, in both general AND particular cases, is a major criteria. There's a reason the recent Fords or the VW group cars still don't sell well enough. Such a ratings based system will simply not cover the particular situation-specific flaws. Say if dealers of good cars aren't good overall or near that buyer, or if a particular car just isn't for a particular buyer, despite the general preference towards that car. There is no deal happening.

Thus, it's best to present the facts as they are before the buyer and let him decide for himself. What the media do is suggest in general: that X car is the best in this segment, which just doesn't work every time.
In fact this system only still goes on because there are still a lot of people out there who don't know what they really want in their car, and thus go with such 'reviews' to avoid confusion. In such cases they would probably be happy with either car anyway. We rarely have bad cars these days. It's just good and better. And even within the same segments, there are cars aimed at different buyers.

In a poll here about compact SUVs, an EcoSport will run away with the votes, yet it will be a Brezza that sells multiple times of it. But there is a buyer who just needs the ladder frame of a TUV. So both most liked and most sold options are redundant in this case. And with growing product variety and new segments coming in, such scenarios are only likely to increase. Hence, a concrete rating won't be achievable.

Last edited by mukul32 : 11th September 2016 at 00:18.
mukul32 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 15:57   #6183
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Unfortunately the topic is no longer has any currency.
Please use the 'new topics' search . It'll show you only new threads created in the last 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Like the special handling of Youtube links, can we have similar treatment for tweets? Twitter makes this quite simple (https://dev.twitter.com/web/embedded-tweets) and I see that some plugins exist already on vbulletin.org.
=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Embedded tweets? I fear the site looking like BBC news! They don't seem to employ reporters to interview people any longer, they just copy their tweets!
+1 to what Thad said. Plus, if we do it for Twitter, then we'll have to for Facebook, then LinkedIn and finally Instagram. Team-BHP will end up looking like any other cluttered social media site.

YouTube embedding serves a major purpose. None of the others do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Just a thought which came to mind now. Is it possible to have a "Favorite threads" Section for a bhpian where in I add a thread to that section and it always sits there.
Either subscribe, or create a 'Team-BHP Favourites' folder in your bookmarks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
So I'm thinking on this review page, right at the very top we add something like a yay or nay poll. A 'Yes, buy it' or a 'No, don't buy it".
The opening post (with the likes & dislikes) should be enough to tell a person whether to buy the car or not. It includes all the major pros & cons of that car. Trust me, we put a lot of thought into those points and there are some internal discussions / agreements / disagreements before they're finalised.

I'm against a poll for official reviews, or even a numerical rating for any car. Primary reason = all of us have different tastes / requirements / preferences. I drive a '97 Mahindra Classic, but can guarantee that it'll turn off 90% of you (cramped, bumpy, noisy). I also drive a Nissan Sunny that I'm extremely happy with - but none of you will buy one (it's a different matter that I won't recommend it either ).

An official review's responsibility is to tell you everything you need to know about the car. To help you make an informed decision.

If a segment sees an important entrant, we do create a poll for the same. Example 1 & Example 2. These offer further insights on the car relative to its competitors.

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2016 at 15:59.
Old 30th September 2016, 11:31   #6184
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Same here. Keen to return to Bengaluru to put my KA Duster on sale and buy a
TN reign vehicle...what a sorry state of affairs! Made to feel alien in India itself.

Practically, any idea when it will be alright to drive to Bengaluru in KA vehicle through Hosur/Attibele?

Cheers
Mods - could tbhp set up some sort of forum where there's an "equitable exchange" of rides? Match TN cars stuck in KA with TN buyers, KA cars stuck in TN with Bangalorean buyers.

Seem to be quite a few people in the same boat here. TN cars starting to come out onto the roads in KA right?

If we put all our rides in the market at the same time we'll get skinned due to the used car market tanking I think due to over supply of vehicles.

Last edited by hserus : 30th September 2016 at 11:35.
Old 30th September 2016, 13:25   #6185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
+1 to what Thad said. Plus, if we do it for Twitter, then we'll have to for Facebook, then LinkedIn and finally Instagram. Team-BHP will end up looking like any other cluttered social media site.

YouTube embedding serves a major purpose. None of the others do.
It's bad enough that, increasingly, especially in techie areas, seem to think they have to attach screen shots of everything.

"I'm running 6.01. Really. Here's the screen shot."

Oh, thanks, but actually I believed you anyway!
Old 2nd October 2016, 12:38   #6186
BHPian

Not sure if I'm doing it wrong, but I'm not getting an option to search for threads in the team bhp Android app. I remember this option being available earlier, but seems to have disappeared in the last update.
Old 13th October 2016, 14:01   #6187
Senior - BHPian

I am unable to create a new thread/topic and I am not sure if I am doing it incorrectly. I have created couple of topics in the past and had followed the same steps.

Anyways, here is what I am facing. I click on the Reviews tab and then click on the new topic tab (Image 2). When I click on this, I get an message (Image 1). Please suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-capture1.jpg  

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-capture2.jpg  

Old 13th October 2016, 15:16   #6188
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Anyways, here is what I am facing. I click on the Reviews tab and then click on the new topic tab (Image 2). When I click on this, I get an message (Image 1). Please suggest.
I think you're trying to create a thread in a forum/sub forum section that you do not have access to, in this case the official new car reviews section which is reserved for Team BHP administrators and Moderators
You should be able to create a thread by using the new topic button in any other forum section that you have access to.

Last edited by NPV : 13th October 2016 at 15:18.
Old 13th October 2016, 15:52   #6189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You should be able to create a thread by using the new topic button in any other forum section that you have access to.
I had the same thought, however except for that one place as shown in the pictures, I do not see the create new topic option in any other thread.
Old 14th October 2016, 12:37   #6190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I click on the Reviews tab and then click on the new topic tab (Image 2). When I click on this, I get an message (Image 1).
As NPV mentioned, this would be in the "Official Reviews" section, hence the restriction.

You'd probably want to post your review in "Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports"

However... the correct way to do it is to first compose your thread in the Assembly Line section.

Quote:
...I do not see the create new topic option in any other thread.
You need to be in the section (where it shows a list of threads), and not within a thread to be able to create a new thread.
Old 17th October 2016, 23:43   #6191
Distinguished - BHPian

In the Assembly Line's FAQ thread, the following point is present:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
After your thread has been taken public, you are permitted to bump it up once to bring it amongst the new post listings.
I don't think this is required any longer (in fact it can be recommended against), since the mods add a post when moving a thread from the Assembly Line to the relevant forum - this post automatically bumps the thread into the New Posts list.
Old 19th October 2016, 12:09   #6192
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Mods - could tbhp set up some sort of forum where there's an "equitable exchange" of rides? Match TN cars stuck in KA with TN buyers, KA cars stuck in TN with Bangalorean buyers.
Use our classifieds .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptraveller View Post
Not sure if I'm doing it wrong, but I'm not getting an option to search for threads in the team bhp Android app.
Would suggest you use our excellent mobile skin . Just open https://www.team-bhp.com/forum on your smartphone browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I don't think this is required any longer (in fact it can be recommended against), since the mods add a post when moving a thread from the Assembly Line to the relevant forum - this post automatically bumps the thread into the New Posts list.
Thanks man! Removed that irrelevant point.
Old 30th October 2016, 01:01   #6193
BHPian

Apart from Team-BHP, there's another forum that I always lurk around. They came up with this video and I think it would be great if our very own mods could do something like this too!
Old 2nd November 2016, 07:20   #6194
Senior - BHPian

The official snakes thread is here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...snakes-43.html

It's in the 4x4 forum as the thread started off that way. Will this be better off in the shifting gears section so that more people see it? Right now people can search and find the thread.
I was looking for this thread and found it via search, but having it in a more appropriate section will probably let more see and contribute to this thread.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:01   #6195
Team-BHP Support

Hi there. I use the T-BHP App on two IOS devices - the iphone and the ipad.

I am not sure if I am missing something but while using the App, I don't get the option of clicking "Thanks" on a post. I try switching to Web View from the app and even then this does not show.

Am I missing a trick here? If not, may I suggest to the Mods that the "Thanks" feature should also be added while using the App?

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks