Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2017, 14:58   #6271
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Is it possible to put in some search criteria when looking for reviews? A friend of mine is looking for a petrol automatic "SUVish" body type car between 8 and 12 lakhs. I came here to look for such cars, and there was no way I could create a list of cars to read about or suggest. I had to rely on my memory and the memories of my friends and fellow TBHPians.

There is an advanced search feature in Classifieds, so I thought I would be smart and use that. However, that does not have a selection criterion for body type. Maybe as a workaround, that facility may be added?

One more suggestion re. classifieds (or even the advanced search feature I mentioned above), is it possible to put in links to the review threads for whatever cars show up in the results?

For example, when I look at petrol cars between 8 and 12 lakhs in Classifieds, I sqw one result, an Ertiga. Once I click on that ad (or even in the listing page itself) if there could be a link to the TBHP review of that car, it would be helpful.

Cheers
Old 18th May 2017, 10:16   #6272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Actually, we did look into it!

The idea was to enable the Thanks button for posts in those sections, but not have those thanks count towards the total count.

I took a very detailed look into Thanks system, and unfortunately the way it's built makes this pretty impossible without a major overhaul.
Another Idea I have is, the originator of the post can have an option to include thanks button or not. Based on the post, if the author thinks the post deserves thanks button, he can include. Else, need not include the thanks button

Moderators can anyway, include/remove the thanks button at later point in time
if abuse is reported.
Old 21st May 2017, 16:07   #6273
Senior - BHPian

Please see if any of the following are worth implementing:
  1. Exclude reported posts from the total post count.
  2. Allow the moderators' "Moving from Assembly Line to xyz section. Thanks for sharing" post to be thanked by the OP alone and not others. The thanks button could be made visible only to him/her.
  3. Replace the word Banned with some softer/less severe alternative.
Old 21st May 2017, 21:11   #6274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Replace the word Banned with some softer/less severe alternative.
people are not banned for anything less than severe.

But the scale of severity is, I think, hard to take into account with this software: it might be for three days, or it might be for life. It would be nice to have an indication, but I don't think it is possible.
Old 21st May 2017, 22:23   #6275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think it is possible.
I have absolutely no issues with the principle, process or the period of banning a member. The time tested method is here to stay and it must. My peeve is simply with the use of the word Banned. It radiates a sort of negativity.

Therefore, could we for instance say Posting privileges withdrawn instead?

Just a thought.

Last edited by dailydriver : 21st May 2017 at 22:24.
Old 22nd May 2017, 03:43   #6276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
My peeve is simply with the use of the word Banned. It radiates a sort of negativity.
I know what you mean. I belong to a number of forums, and have also felt much the same. It's also a bit school-master-ish. But I don't know that putting different words on the same thing actually makes a difference.
Old 6th June 2017, 10:36   #6277
BHPian

I wanted to suggest a sub-forum in TBHP Directory. With the rising trend of online / app-based automobile service providers, I see that a lot of reviews and comments dispersed across the TBHP Directory, inside car threads, Modifications and Technical Stuff threads.

E.g. I used Motorzo for a battery change and didn't know where I'd post such a thing since it's not city specific though I used the service in Bangalore.

My suggestion is to have a sub-forum under TBHP directory for App-based / Online services which can then be used for providing reviews and sharing experiences.

Please take it forward if you find this as the right thing to do.
Old 7th June 2017, 22:02   #6278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I wanted to suggest a sub-forum...
One more sub-forum/section dedicated to discussions on electric vehicles, policies, innovations etc. With e-vehicles supposedly set to rule the roost in the near future, a dedicated area where all previous and current threads could be relocated, would be much appreciated.
Old 9th June 2017, 12:11   #6279
BHPian

Cross-posting what I put in the Fuel prices thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4213242

With the government announcing that fuel prices are now being opened up and that they will change daily based on market conditions - would it make sense to have a portal (like www.gasbuddy.com) that allows members and non-members to contribute by updating the gas prices they see at the gas stations. Though not an extension of the Forum itself - this will be a separate portal that could sit with in the domain (for eg: www.fuelprices.team-bhp.com)

Thoughts ?

T-Bhp is already a very well know site and this should pick-up quickly given the number of hits the site gets. Plus if contributions can be made by non-members too, I am sure there will be lots of updates pan-India

Last edited by GJ01 : 9th June 2017 at 12:19. Reason: Cross referring post
Old 13th June 2017, 11:31   #6280
BHPian

I think it's time we had a database in team bhp where each member can have his ride registration number entered against the team bhp handle. This helps in identifying the member while searching for the registration number. At least this option is better than having the customised handle on the car. This also doesn't pose the issue of compromising the member identity in the public. People can easily connect to the BHPian when the car is found via messaging feature in teambhp.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:04   #6281
Distinguished - BHPian

Did the advertising policy change recently? I see this header ad now covers up a larger section on the top.
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-capture.jpg
Old 15th June 2017, 11:05   #6282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Did the advertising policy change recently? I see this header ad now covers up a larger section on the top.
Attachment 1648503
I think only car ads are not accepted - tyres, insurance, engine oil etc routinely turn up.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:10   #6283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I think only car ads are not accepted - tyres, insurance, engine oil etc routinely turn up.
I am not questioning the "content" of the ad.
There's a limit to the number of categories that can be blocked in Adwords. So some car ads do popup from time to time, but that's really not a problem.

Just wanted to know about this new size.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:11   #6284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I am not questioning the "content" of the ad.
There's a limit to the number of categories that can be blocked in Adwords. So some car ads do popup from time to time, but that's really not a problem.

Just wanted to know about this new size.
Seems to be a one off. I have occasionally seen this happen elsewhere - maybe the ad network accidentally served up a larger sized image for that one ad.
Old 17th June 2017, 05:23   #6285
BANNED

Probably some sort of bug or something else. But my post count isn't going over 159 since around 3 posts, this is when I haven't got any PM regarding post deletion etc.

Edit: It's still 159

Most Viewed