Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2017, 10:14   #6346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Can we please ban the user of "sir" etc.? There should be no place for such type of addressing fellow members.
No thanks button here, so I would second that. We dont have such a practice in official communication these days, and here in this forum I feel weird to see such honorification
Old 13th September 2017, 14:56   #6347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can we please ban the user of "sir" etc.? There should be no place for such type of addressing fellow members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
No thanks button here, so I would second that. We dont have such a practice in official communication these days, and here in this forum I feel weird to see such honorification
I doubt that it can or should be banned, but I would add myself to the list of those who are not comfortable with it. As one of the, ahem, a-bit-old members I do get it from people who don't know me. It is meant as polite respect, so it may be churlish to complain! But, regardless of age, I am nobody's superior.
Old 13th September 2017, 15:37   #6348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I doubt that it can or should be banned, but I would add myself to the list of those who are not comfortable with it
Just to clarify my stand, lets keep the banning part aside The practice should be stopped.
Old 14th September 2017, 15:21   #6349
BHPian

Can we auto-merge consecutive posts by the same member on a thread? I know we have a rule in place to use Edit/Multi-quote, but sometimes, you may forget to do it. Wouldn't it best if the posts were auto-merged if the the latest post and the new one are from the same member?
Old 15th September 2017, 12:48   #6350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The usable resolution for the mobile interface is a fingertip. This means that, quite often, I have to zoom the screen to get my fingertip accurately on frequently-used text links like first-unread in a subscribed-threads listing.
I know that when you click a small link on a mobile screen, there's a chance that the area of your fingertip also intrudes onto another link (or more).

However, trust technology a bit! Your smartphone actually looks at the entire area your fingertip is pressing and figures out the point you intend to be pressing. As a result, your taps will be rather accurate. We've already done a lot to avoid closely grouped links on the Smartphone skin -- but if you're having an actual issue of mis-clicks (rather than a concern about them) do let me know and I'll see what I can to do prevent them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Can you please clarify how the posts Count on my profile is different than the Search Results?
I think the others have answered it. Some more info, FYI : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/faq.p...shooting#faq_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I don't see such an on option on the desktop either - to get to the first unread. It would be a convenient option to have. If there is one, could someone please guide me to that?
@ Thad, ^ This is the reason we've used a text link instead of an icon/button for this function

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs View Post
The only reason I could think of is the posts in deleted threads, even if the thread is deleted the post counts will not decrease if I am not wrong.
Deleted posts will disappear from your post count IIRC. Read my earlier reply for an answer to your Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I think TBHP must enable upload of Plotagraph images as they look stunning. Mods kindly consider this request.
Are plotagraphs GIFs? / Can they be exported as GIFs?

You can attach a GIF on Team-BHP if it is <3 MB. Just upload it like any other picture!

Name:  Surface600px25fps2.gif
Views: 461
Size:  1.88 MB

Quote:
They have taken the images of the alloy wheels on my Celerio
Honestly, this happens several times a day with pictures (thanks google images!). You have to take it on a case by case basis and see the extent of misuse, and how much effort you're willing to put into fixing it.

Most of the times, it's not really worth more effort than 1 email.

Quote:
Can we please ban the use of "sir" etc.? There should be no place for such type of addressing fellow members.
That's a bit extreme... I don't think we need to have any rule or guideline about this.

Everyone has their own preference, and that's part of being one big diverse family online.

If someone repeatedly calls you sir, you can express your views to them. Once I PM's a certain DHABHAR.BEHRAM Sir... he promptly replied and requested to be addressed as "Dude" by the younger generations

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
Can we auto-merge consecutive posts by the same member on a thread?
There are some plug-ins that can do this. But there's downsides too (eg. a person creating the layout for a new thread in assembly line would have issues).

For now, better to stick to the current system.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th September 2017 at 12:54.
Old 15th September 2017, 15:50   #6351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, trust technology a bit!
Oh no... spent too much time working with it!

But, in this instance, yes, I think you are right. Getting that link does work better than I expect it to.

Well done, Rehaan Sir! ( )
Old 15th September 2017, 21:12   #6352

Team,

The posts from a 'Newbie' does not show up in results, when clicking the “New Posts” link. This is because, the results page sorts the new posts based on the latest post. And by the time, when the new post from a 'Newbie' is approved by moderators, it is lost.

Is it possible to change the actual time of posts from a 'Newbie' to the actual time approved by moderators?

Thanks.
Old 18th September 2017, 17:51   #6353
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Will reply to the others later, but:

Quote:
They have taken the images of the alloy wheels on my Celerio which were uploaded to my thread here in TBHP(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e-variant.html) and have cropped the watermark. There is no credit to Team-BHP or mention of any permission. Though I dont lose anything by the image being used there, I dont want them to use my content to gather hits and revenue.
Wrote to them & they've removed the image.
Old 18th September 2017, 21:54   #6354
Senior - BHPian

Today's email alert for a private message from team-bhp gave a red flag to me, as it was not encrypted? I rarely get nonencrypted mails and I was surprised that team-bhp's email alert was nonencrypted. I started to check if it was a phishing attack and checked for hidden/masked URLs, it turned out to be legit in the end. Can we please have encrypted emails?

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-20170918-21_46_02clipboard_teambhp.png
Old 19th September 2017, 05:12   #6355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
it turned out to be legit in the end. Can we please have encrypted emails?
The tbhp mailserver needs to support TLS (transport layer security).

If this mailserver is under the direct control of bhp admins (eg: if the site is hosted on a vps or colo) I’ll be glad to help fix this. Please pm.
Old 19th September 2017, 07:39   #6356
BHPian

I am a big fan of the "reddit" layout. It's easy to understand and all the replies are consolidated to that post.
I know it's kind of difficult to implement due to multi-quote and other limitations, but I really think the reddit layout can add to usability, as it is often difficult to ascertain whether a certain question in a post has been subsequently answered or not.

I think, one way to do is, that if a post has been subsequently quoted, an auto-generated hyperlink is created, which when opened, can show all the subsequent posts, where the original post has been quoted.

Last edited by sharktale : 19th September 2017 at 07:39. Reason: typo
Old 25th September 2017, 16:52   #6357
BHPian

Dear Mods, would it be possible to include the cabin / seat dimensions in the official car reviews? Something like a member has posted in his Jeep Compass thread as below?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4274959
Old 25th September 2017, 17:07   #6358
BHPian

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Hi Mods

Was kind of hard to search if this has been already suggested so posting it.

When we click on "Last Page" to see the last post, it directs to the 1st post of the page and one needs to scroll all the way down to see the last post. Suggest it straight away takes the viewer to the last post thereby making scrolling unnecessary.

Or am I missing something here?

Last edited by k88k : 25th September 2017 at 17:30.
Old 25th September 2017, 17:21   #6359
BHPian

Dear Mods,

With regards to impending launches and to some posts where a member shares an experience at service center, most threads now have an edit stating "Edit - Now Launched at Rs xx.xx Lakhs" or "Edit - Now resolved"

I would request if it could be possible to also include page number where the Launch / Resolution has taken effect from.

Sometimes, after a year, if the same thread is visited for research purposes by members or non members intending to purchase that vehicle or to check out the resolution, it takes a bit of effort especially when there are 30 to 40 pages to browse.

Kindly remove this post in case, this has been discussed before.

Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 17:49   #6360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88k View Post
Or am I missing something here?
You are missing something there

As long as you are logged in, you should have the option to go to first unread. Ah, what you might not realise is that that is what the

Icon means!

Most Viewed