Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2018, 21:33   #6571
Senior - BHPian

Re: What (more) do you want from TEAM-BHP.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I have one feedback point to add.

With the strict restriction on Grammer, spelling and punctuation, I feel that we are an elitist group which is closed to people from upcountry locations. I understand the need for quality content and discussion completely, but sometimes I feel we are being unfair to the less privileged who couldn't attend english medium schools.
'Error full' English would look very bad on an English language forum.
Old 26th August 2018, 21:35   #6572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Just my two bits,

With regard to design, apart from viewing posts chronologically, there could be an option to sort posts on a thread by 'most thanked'.
Right, even there could be options where the message can be searched by thanked by a particular person. Say; because my thinking matches with Aditya (support team); so I may like to search posts thanked by him in that thread (although, we can find all the posts thanked by him in the profile section!)

Quote:

. female participantion, was going through the moderator team and couldn't help but notice that there's no female representation. Maybe consider some elevations here.
Bingo! A lot of decision making is influenced by ladies, so a good platform for industry watcher as well. And, number of female drivers are increasing exponentially.

Quote:

Lastly, tbhp could also consider product and service reviews. These may include products from dash cams, engine oils, tyres, replacement components, to even detailing services (provided ofcourse competing products and a product itself doesn't have advertisements on the website, in which case the independence would get questioned).
Such things and many more (including tyres, movies and jokes etc) are there. May be they needed to be presented in a better way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

3. The beauty of the forum is that while official reviews take time, there are loads of other users who produce great reviews as well. We get extraordinarily high quality reviews from Mods who are volunteers -but expecting them to be turned around at the same pace as a magazine with full time journalists is not reasonable. Nothing stops you from posting reviews whenever you feel like.
I fully agree, and this rock-solid, unbiased and detailed reviews section is the backbone of this community, supported by excellent professionals. But I still demand quicker reviews. One way, to start with quick reviews, followed by comparisons of available data and populating the thread step-by-step; just my opinion. Same thing can be applied in case of monthly sales review.

Quote:

5. Several users have posted video reviews - some of which are better than those of TV shows.
Can we not think of a TV channel or youtube channel or FM radio reviews supported by commercials generating revenues also, if we really believe in our quality of posts/reviews.

Quote:

6. I do agree the under representation of women on the forum is an issue. Don’t have good ideas on how to change that - but it is something that we should try to achieve as a community
Start with adding a woman moderator (as suggested by Jeevith above), and give some relaxation to your stringent criteria for becoming a member (I say it promotion than reservation)

Quote:

7. Nothing stops groups of members from getting together and filing cases if needed - we don’t need to wait for Mods to take action here.
We can have some full time mods, if we don't have. There is no denying on personal capacity it can be done, but under the banner of tbhp it will be more effective, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I have one feedback point to add.

With the strict restriction on Grammer, spelling and punctuation, I feel that we are an elitist group which is closed to people from upcountry locations. I understand the need for quality content and discussion completely, but sometimes I feel we are being unfair to the less privileged who couldn't attend english medium schools.
I do agree, just in the name of grammar or language an idea should not be curbed. Quality of content is more important. However, a moderator has the freedom to take the right action (allowing it or modifying it or...)

Hope our ideas and concern may result in some great positive changes to our Team BHP.
Old 26th August 2018, 22:08   #6573
BHPian

Can we please get the app upgraded to match the website. The app seems to not have a lot of features from the website and sometimes is quite difficult to use as it throws a lot of errors
Old 26th August 2018, 22:40   #6574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
5. No audio/video review. A video is n times effective than..
I don't think it's needed. Video reviews of cars are generally catastrophic snoozefests, unless it has Clarkson at the helm.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 26th August 2018 at 22:54.
Old 28th August 2018, 00:32   #6575
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Safety is foremost to all of us. Upon reading the airbag non-deployment thread, I have the following suggestion:

Team-BHP reviews shall highlight the disclaimers (if any) put by the manufacturer about the airbag non-deployment. This will help the members in the decision making process.Along with the looks, the engine options, the interior fit & finish, the ride & the handling, FE, power and torque, the Team-BHP reviews shall include the number and placement of sensors.
Old 28th August 2018, 07:21   #6576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
Can we please get the app upgraded to match the website. The app seems to not have a lot of features from the website and sometimes is quite difficult to use as it throws a lot of errors
Support for the app has been discontinued. I think it was last updated in 2014. Tbhp has been optimised for viewing on the browser and most prefer it this way, me included.
Old 28th August 2018, 07:28   #6577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Difficult to identify the worthwhile comments. Can't refine a forum (of hundreds of pages) as per my interest or value.
4. Lack of objectivity (more subjective and even person dependent views). No rating for a particular virtue (say ride, handling, suspension, after sales etc) in points terms (e.g. 8/10). Even not summarized! And if an expert (read support team member) likes a vehicle once, he would stick to that vehicle even if there are much better alternatives are there (don't read it biased opinion)
5. No audio/video review. A video is n times effective than..
Ref 2, I agree. The current choronological ordering of threads leave a lot to be desired. Reddit/Slashdot-like voting system perhaps? But then again there are several threads where posts go obsolete quickly. I think the forum software is really aged to allow many such options, though.

Ref 4, I don't think this is a problem. I really love reading these long, detailed to a fault reviews. When I bought my GT TSI I actually didn't need to test drive many cars because I had made up my mind more or less only based on Team-BHP reviews.

Ref 5, never missed them. A/V content requires additional hardware or has location constraints (eg: Can't consume while in a cafeteria, can't consume without headphones etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Quote:
6. I hardly find female participation, point of view (and support team members!) How can we ignore the opinion of another half (which is many times a better half).
About point no. 6, I personally don't understand the point made. Not sure what you expect the community to do to increase participation of women.
Oh there are so many things that could be done. To start with, let us say a survey of women enthusiasts can be done as to what they expect from such a forum - which will throw up a lot of possible enhancements. But with my male biases intact, I'd say:

- Include womens' perspectives in the reviews. Let us say each review team will have at least one woman.
- Incentivize female participation. Say, a goodies pack for completing 100 posts or getting 250 likes etc.
- Increase awareness among women. This probably has to start with the male members - we need to get our spouses, siblings, colleagues etc. onboard.
- Threads highlighting womens' achievements. This does happen, but I think a bit more can be done. For example, a mass PM to announce threads such as these:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...e-licence.html (A woman's experience in getting a heavy vehicle licence)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...r-mizoram.html (Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram)

- Press coverage for such threads.

Quote:
7. The level of advocacy for relevant cause is not visible, participation in regulatory/legal forums to push a common cause is not apparent for such a strong group.
Actually, individual members do and they get (I think) adequate support on this forum.

Last edited by binand : 28th August 2018 at 07:31.
Old 28th August 2018, 10:22   #6578
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Start with adding a woman moderator (as suggested by Jeevith above), and give some relaxation to your stringent criteria for becoming a member (I say it promotion than reservation)
What we provide is Equality of Opportunity, which means anyone can get in with right quality & quantity of effort. That means anyone can qualify for DBHPian or Moderator irrespective of their religion, origin or gender.

What you are asking for is Equality of Outcome, which means certain category of people get in irrespective of effort. You are asking us to set a much lower bar for women. Sorry, we don't believe in patronizing women. We think they can qualify for these roles on equal footing, without lowering of the bar.

Yes, women are a tiny minority on Team-BHP. That is because obsessing about cars is not high on their list priorities. But there is nothing stopping a car crazy girl to make it to DBHP/Moderator roles.
Old 28th August 2018, 12:29   #6579
Team-BHP Support

Just like you have Official Reviews, I would like to see Official Comparos within relevant segments - like some of the magazines do. I think it would be very helpful to have a Team BHP quality review applied in a comparison format.
Old 28th August 2018, 14:39   #6580
Senior - BHPian

This suggestion/Thought is inspired by reading one of the suggestions in earlier post. Not sure of the person who suggested hence, not able to quote. But with all due credits to the original thinker of this idea, I will pen down my thoughts

We should be able to sort the posts based on the number of thanks the post has received. This shows which are really most liked and most agreed posts /replies for the thread starter. This creates greater interest in completing all valuable and creative thoughts.
Today, I need to read all the pages which contains useful comments and "Not so useful comments" (No offence to anyone. TO reword it, I will say, opinions that are personal)

We can completely avoid this if we can read the top thanked comments for every single thread
Old 30th August 2018, 13:53   #6581
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 369 Garage : Mollywood's Petrolhead Father-Son Duo (Mammootty & Dulquer Salmaan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can someone please invite him onboard and drop me an email with his username so it's approved right away? Thanks.
Perhaps this is out of line, but why the special treatment? I mean everyone else here went through a normal approval process. And I believe on another thread we're discussing how a certain group asking for a separate lane on national highways was not a good thing. Same sentiment I guess. Apologies if I missed something here.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th August 2018 at 23:09. Reason: Quoted text edited - removing email address
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 14:24   #6582
BHPian

Re: The 369 Garage : Mollywood's Petrolhead Father-Son Duo (Mammootty & Dulquer Salmaan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Perhaps this is out of line, but why the special treatment? I mean everyone else here went through a normal approval process. And I believe on another thread we're discussing how a certain group asking for a separate lane on national highways was not a good thing. Same sentiment I guess. Apologies if I missed something here.
You are comparing apples and oranges, mate.
For a moment, just think which will affect you as an individual/citizen/tax paying burdened class etc etc etc - a celebrity who has been given a direct entry into this forum or a VIP (mostly politicians) who are demanding separate lanes at tolls at the cost of mango people's time and money.

Let us cut some slack when we can do, can we? DQ is very humble when it comes to being an automobile aficionado, having seen a couple of his movies and a handful of interviews, he's never bragged about his stardom which, I feel, makes him a nice guy. It has also been mentioned that he's already a BHPian so, no point in crying foul for GTO's nice gesture.
Porschefire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 14:25   #6583
BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps this is out of line, but why the special treatment? I mean everyone else here went through a normal approval process.
Would exactly be the reason why he is not open in the forum. Hope he remains here at least incognito and doesn't quit the forum.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 14:32   #6584
BHPian

Quote:
There is no special treatment given here. The main objective of screening process in this forum is to know about your passion about vehicles. We all belong to the unknown lot. No ones knows anything about us. So there are some questions asked to you to ensure that there is some decorum on the forum. DQ on the other hand is one in a million kind of guy in terms of being a celebrity who has immense passion in cars. And we heard from horses mouth that he keeps tabs on us (Pun Intended) . So there is nothing wrong in giving an invite to him. But knowing DQ, I am 100% sure that he is already a member and reading all this. I really hope he continues to enjoy anonymity in this group.
RaghuVis is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 14:39   #6585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges, mate.

It has also been mentioned that he's already a BHPian so, no point in crying foul for GTO's nice gesture.
What happened to TeamBHP's "unbiased" quality?

It feels like its something more than just a nice gesture.

No offence.

Asta_la_vista is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed