Old 29th February 2008, 10:20   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Thanks techno,it worked.
ram
Old 29th February 2008, 13:03   #1142
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You can also delete all the PMs from a specific folder by:

1. Clicking "Edit Folder" on the Left-Hand-Side menu.

2. On the resultant page, choose the folder (from drop down menu) and click "Empty folder".
Old 29th February 2008, 20:44   #1143
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Travel Info Guide

Hi Guys I was wondering if it would be possible to start a thread on Basic travel information in terms of flight, train other types of schedules plus a list of travel companies city wise that offer great deals on certain sectors..more of an in-home team-bhp experience..instead of scouting for info on google.

We could have sub sections like trains, buses, flights local / international with best rates listed by the members and from city wise. Each city with car rental information and regular rate plans for each.
International flight info to different places listed with best prices, and schedules for various holiday+business destinations.

Saying that we would never have to look elsewhere..for instance If we had to fly to Dubai. All we do is look up flights available from that city, costs and then places in the city where we can book the same or sites for that matter. With relevant information.
Old 29th February 2008, 21:30   #1144
Distinguished - BHPian

when a new member starts a duplicate thread (instead of searching,etc.) the mods should not just bang the door on the poor fellow and close the thread.

the "thread-closed-by-mod" should somehow be less rude.. and not make it a bad first experience on the forum..

maybe a "canned response" explaining nicely/sweetly why the forum tries very hard to avoid duplicate threads,etc.

no point in saying
"thread closed because you are stupid enough not to search"
"this has been discussed till the cows came home.. it was exciting once.. but now it is too damn boring and u are not welcome"

seasoned members understand and appreciate the forum culture, but new members have to be given some leeway?

it might be interesting to find out the number of users with just one post.. and why there are no further posts from these members.

Last edited by androdev : 29th February 2008 at 21:34.
Old 1st March 2008, 22:05   #1145
BHPian

a suggestion for the mods

I have a suggestion for the mods.

When some one has created a thread whose topic is already being discussed in another thread, instead of just locking the thread, dont you think it would be better if the mods merge the newer thread to the older thread.

The possible benefits:
  1. Fewer threads leading to a host of benefits.
  2. No loss of information (the info discussed in the newer thread will not be lost)
One such example below. There are many more examples, I just copy pasted the latest one.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-90-bulbs.html

What do you guys (mods) think?

EDIT: Just saw androdev's post. Merging the 2 threads will be less rude although I completely support initiatives to reduce the number of threads, particularly duplicate ones.

Last edited by Proxima : 1st March 2008 at 22:08. Reason: androdev's post
Old 2nd March 2008, 05:46   #1146
Senior - BHPian

i see alot of awesome wonderful and deserving threads have been ignored or forgotten with time, although a few are declared sticky and parked, but imo there are alot that are worth a visit and a must see.

so why not have a seperate category apart from parked, where these threads are kept on top for a few days untill every body stops posting for say 2 weeks. usually these threads go in to later pages at times because other topics take up their place in very short time. and should we name this a MUST SEE section?
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:01   #1147
Team-BHP Support

Androdev & Proxima,

Thanks for your suggestions. We are going over this in the Support section.
Quote:
maybe a "canned response" explaining nicely/sweetly why the forum tries very hard to avoid duplicate threads,etc.
Done. We have added a new *friendlier* template to be used on first-time "offenders" (for lack of a better word).

Proxima, agreed that merging is the better way to go most of the time. However, there are a few cases in which merging does not make sense, and closing the thread with a note or link is a better option :
1. The exact question has already been asked & replied to. (no point duplicating the question by merging...just link to the answer)
2. There are a lot of slightly off-topic posts in the new thread.
3. There is no "useful information" that will be burried away if the thread is locked (ie, there is just a question in there - no answers).
4. Its a very popular newbie query, and leaving the locked thread with a link in it increases the chances of other newbies finding the right thread in the future.

Hope that makes sense.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd March 2008 at 22:03.
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:06   #1148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
i see alot of awesome wonderful and deserving threads have been ignored or forgotten with time, although a few are declared sticky and parked, but imo there are alot that are worth a visit and a must see.
Agreed. Let me show you what we did about this a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official PM

TBHP RETRO WEEK !
6th - 12th March 2006

Team-BHP has been around for 2 years, and we have had several very interesting and knowledgable discussions in the 9,650+ threads that exist today.
However, many of those valuable threads have sunk to the depths of our huge archive.

Team-BHP retro week is our initiative to get you to dig through the depths of the TBHP archives and catch up on all those threads you never knew existed. If you find a particularly good thread revive it by adding something worthwhile to the thread and therefore making it a recent thread (ie making it appear in the "New Posts" list).

Rules for "Retro Week"
1. Shifting Gears is NOT part of Retro Week.
2. Posts to revive old threads must have some value and not be like "I thought this thread was cool, check it out".
3. DO NOT post saying "Where are the pics? i cant see the pics" on old threads where the links to the pics dont work anymore.

Sincerely,
Team-BHP Support Team.
Maybe we will do this again sometime soon!

(Mods click here)

cya
R
Old 3rd March 2008, 14:36   #1149
BHPian

Hi moderators/admins,
I am unable to view photos posted on various threads. kindly help me out. I am able to view photos of some threads though so am sure that its not a system problem at my end. require help on this..
Old 3rd March 2008, 14:57   #1150
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure what do you mean by directly posting into the forum

For instructions on uploading pictures, click here. It is best to use Youtube for the video files.

Please report if you are still unable to view.
Old 3rd March 2008, 16:10   #1151
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Hi moderators/admins,
I am unable to view photos posted on various threads. kindly help me out. I am able to view photos of some threads though so am sure that its not a system problem at my end. require help on this..
Hi Rotorhead, That has got to be a problem with your explorer / computer. Try checking the explorer settings.
Old 3rd March 2008, 16:21   #1152
BHPian

suggestion to improve classifieds

When I see an advertisement in the classifieds section, and I see a person selling something, I would like to click on the seller's ID and it should take me to the seller's profile page where I have the links to see the "all posts from seller" and "threads started by seller". By doing this I would be able to see the comments the seller had earlier on his car, his experiences, his problems with the car etc.

Right now, I have to copy the members name, search for it and then go to his profile and do that.

By doing this, I was able to see that one of the seller's car had a problem with power steering earlier, which obviously was not mentioned in the advertisement.

This is just a WISH from me, it would make the life easier for someone who is genuinely looking to use the classifieds and buy something.
Old 3rd March 2008, 16:36   #1153
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vasant,

We have two options; either to show the members page on the classifieds section or the forum. We have chosen the former, but will surely consider your suggestion over the next upgrade.

It would also help if sellers post a link to their ownership review thread. This will surely help buyers know the history of the car.
Old 3rd March 2008, 18:56   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi Rotorhead, That has got to be a problem with your explorer / computer. Try checking the explorer settings.
anything specific i need to look in the explorer settings ??
Old 3rd March 2008, 19:17   #1155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
anything specific i need to look in the explorer settings ??

Check to ensure "Show Pictures" is enabled.

Most Viewed