Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2008, 09:32   #1186
Team-BHP Support

Truedreamer,

We are still working on fine-tuning the image upload settings.
Your viewpoint is something we have been thinking about as well.
We are discussing it in the Support Forum at the moment.

cya
R
Old 11th March 2008, 10:14   #1187
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post
GTO, Thanks for adding Photo Upload option to T-Bhp without any restriction on the image resolution however the limit of 500 KB is what i really did not like :( Please increase this to at least 1 MB or 1.5MB which most free image hosts are offering so that we can have some good Hi quality photos instead of pictures in lower resolutions. I know increasing the size to 1MB or 1.5MB can eat up more space on the server but then at least allow to use free image hosts who even offer thumbnail feature if the image size is more than 500 KB.

Thanks.
Glad you like the feature, Truedreamer. At the time of inception, the limit on picture resolution was 1024 and that on file size was 250kb.

However, we incorporated member suggestions by increasing the file size limit to 500kb, and totally loosen up on the image resolution. This is still amongst the most generous for online communities. But we cannot allow external hosting anymore. We intend to be very strict about this. It has also been included in the official Team-BHP rules.

With time, we will increase the file size limit too. You have my word on that.
Old 11th March 2008, 20:24   #1188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Signature URLS have been disabled across the board.

But i still find many members having their signature as link to flickr or some other sites. Atleast you could provide links within TBHP or is that what you have disabled. If yes, may i ask why?
Old 13th March 2008, 16:09   #1189
BHPian

How do i share a small power point presentation in Team-BHP?
Old 13th March 2008, 16:13   #1190
Team-BHP Support

Host it somewhere, and post the link here.
Old 13th March 2008, 19:27   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But we cannot allow external hosting anymore. We intend to be very strict about this. It has also been included in the official Team-BHP rules.
May I know what was the reason behind it ? Is there any legalities involved ?
Cause I found it's much easier to paste the static image link from flickr or otherwise I've to download the pic from flickr and upload again here. If I'm using the computer that have the original pics then it's fine (but then also I need to upload again, so double the bandwidth usage) otherwise it'll be a tedious two step process of downloading and then uploading.
Regards,
Kaushik
Old 13th March 2008, 19:30   #1192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
May I know what was the reason behind it ? Is there any legalities involved ?
Cause I found it's much easier to paste the static image link from flickr or otherwise I've to download the pic from flickr and upload again here. If I'm using the computer that have the original pics then it's fine (but then also I need to upload again, so double the bandwidth usage) otherwise it'll be a tedious two step process of downloading and then uploading.
Regards,
Kaushik
you can upload directly from a url.
Old 13th March 2008, 19:38   #1193
BHPian

tedious process ... ?
Old 13th March 2008, 20:01   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to have "external images now appear as a link" rule not have a retrospective effect, especially in the threads selected for the "Collection of best threads".

For example, all the images on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...-jobs-273.html now appear as links. A newbie wouldnt wanna click on each link to find out how wacky or wierd the vehicle is .
Old 13th March 2008, 20:12   #1195
BANNED

Dear Mods,
Could you enable PicLens for TBHP galleries, please?
Thanks.
Old 13th March 2008, 20:15   #1196
BHPian

I just popped it in to say the image upload feature is totally welcome, and kudos to you mods.

The pictures add a lot of context, and write-ups look a lot more professional. The limits and quotas are also quite sensible too.
Old 13th March 2008, 20:22   #1197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Is it possible to have "external images now appear as a link" rule not have a retrospective effect
I can tell you that this is something the support team is working on as we speak. You will hear about this soon from the mods.
Old 13th March 2008, 22:03   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
you can upload directly from a url.
How to do that ? I think GTO has already mentioned that upload from external link will be strictly prohibited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post
tedious process ... ?
Was this question just to increase your post count? sorry, just kidding. Anyway for me i found it boring to download the picture from my flickR account,then rename it and then again upload it. And this is in-case I'm using my other laptop which I don't use for storing my photos.I hope I'm clear now?

Anyway, I just wanted to know is there any legalities involved in hotlinking the photos as I do it in many other forums hence I would like to know the issues involved.
Disclaimer : This is not to start any debate and I'm ok with the current rule.It's just for academic purpose.
Old 13th March 2008, 22:10   #1199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
How to do that ? I think GTO has already mentioned that upload from external link will be strictly prohibited.
[IMG] coding from an image hosting site is prohibited. So you cannot POST a picture from an external link. But you can UPLOAD a picture from an external link, that's why you have that option.

You can safely upload a file to Team-BHP from imageshack. However you have to upload from URL, in the attachment option. You cannot post from imageshack to here.
So basically if you have a photobucket/imageshack account with your photos in it already, enter the URL of your picture into the upload attachments window that pops up. The image is transferred from photobucket to the Team-BHP server.

Once it's on the Team-BHP server then and only then can you post it.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th March 2008 at 22:11.
Old 13th March 2008, 23:07   #1200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
[IMG]
So basically if you have a photobucket/imageshack account with your photos in it already, enter the URL of your picture into the upload attachments window that pops up. The image is transferred from photobucket to the Team-BHP server.

Once it's on the Team-BHP server then and only then can you post it.
Oh cool, thanks Sam, I'll try that. Just to clear the doubt, is it possible from flickR account also ? It should be I guess.

Most Viewed