Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2008, 01:10   #1201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Oh cool, thanks Sam, I'll try that. Just to clear the doubt, is it possible from flickR account also ? It should be I guess.
It should be possible from any URL that has an image.
Old 14th March 2008, 01:35   #1202
Team-BHP Support

The new picture upload feature is a nice change. I am trying to get my advanced reply window to show up formatting options but somehow it is as seen in the attachment below. I would like it to look like the one in the second picture. How do I go about it?
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-rep.jpg  

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-rep1.jpg  

Old 14th March 2008, 06:27   #1203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Is it possible to have "external images now appear as a link" rule not have a retrospective effect, especially in the threads selected for the "Collection of best threads".
As Sam mentioned, we are working on it. It will be done soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Dear Mods,
Could you enable PicLens for TBHP galleries, please?
Thanks.
Ooh. I have seen this in action and it is pretty sweet. Where are the details for developers though??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
I just popped it in to say the image upload feature is totally welcome, and kudos to you mods. .... The limits and quotas are also quite sensible too.
Thanks. Im sure GTO will appreciate your comment the most, since we made him change the settings a few hundred times to get it as close to perfect as was possible

Quote:
Anyway, I just wanted to know is there any legalities involved in hotlinking the photos as I do it in many other forums hence I would like to know the issues involved.
Disclaimer : This is not to start any debate and I'm ok with the current rule.It's just for academic purpose.
Kaushik,

The main drive to host the images ourself was the fact that a lot of external hosting sites get rid of images after a few years etc, and that leaves a lot of holes in our older threads. We didnt want that to be an issue.
In addition to that, there are other advantages like - a regulated maximum display size, possibility for automatic watermarking, etc etc...

Quote:
Oh cool, thanks Sam, I'll try that. Just to clear the doubt, is it possible from flickR account also ? It should be I guess.
If you can get a direct link to your image (ending in a ".jpg" etc), it should be possible. Try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I am trying to get my advanced reply window to show up formatting options but somehow it is as seen in the attachment below. I would like it to look like the one in the second picture. How do I go about it?
User CP > Edit Options > (scroll down) > select WYSIWYG Editor [NOT simple text - which you have selected at the moment]

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th March 2008 at 06:33.
Old 14th March 2008, 10:19   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Images on my computer that I am trying to upload are all 1.3 MB or thereabouts..how do I reduce the file size to under 500kb ?? Sorry but I am not too good with this stuff

Thanks
Old 14th March 2008, 10:40   #1205
Team-BHP Support

Ricky, one easy way i follow is, right click on the image->Send To-> Mail Recipient.

Now, it asks do you want to resize the images. Say Yes.
Now, save the attached image. Viola !! Now, it has a much reduced size.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-image.jpg

This is helpful when you want to resize a single image or a few images at a time. For a group resizing you would need to look at other options.
Old 14th March 2008, 11:00   #1206
Team-BHP Support

You can download faststone image viewer. Its easy to use and does batch resizing
Old 14th March 2008, 11:06   #1207
Distinguished - BHPian

Ricky,

Firstly, ensure they're in JPG/GIF formats. Usually, the default image extension in Windows is Bitmap (.BMP). This is a low-compression and therefore large file-size format. Use a native image editor such as Microsoft Paint to "Save As" JPG.

If the file is already JPG, then you will need professional image editors such as Adobe Photoshop to be able to compress the image into various levels of optimations. I've illustrated this option below.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-temp.jpg  

Old 14th March 2008, 11:10   #1208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Ricky,

Firstly, ensure they're in JPG/GIF formats. Usually, the default image extension in Windows is Bitmap (.BMP). This is a low-compression and therefore large file-size format. Use a native image editor such as Microsoft Paint to "Save As" JPG.

If the file is already JPG, then you will need professional image editors such as Adobe Photoshop to be able to compress the image into various levels of optimations. I've illustrated this option below.
MAG, these professional image viewers are not free and a license is 200$. I suggest for simple things like resizing use Faststone or similar programs. You can easily select 100s of images and batch resize at one click. You can tell the program to limit the dimensions to 1600 on the longest side and size to 500kb.
Old 14th March 2008, 12:34   #1209
BHPian

hey mods problem here i dont know whether it has been discussed, was accessing the Classified page and then clicked on the link of BHP Garage.. and this is the error i get (mentioned below).I tried clicking on the other links from BHP garage and it worked, but the BHP garage llink on the classifed PAGE.

"Warning: require(/usr/www/users/rushabh/forum/classifieds/vbpicgallery.php) [[COLOR=#0000ff]function.require[/COLOR]]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/rushabh/forum/vbseo.php on line 1129

Fatal error: require() [[COLOR=#0000ff]function.require[/COLOR]]: Failed opening required '/usr/www/users/rushabh/forum/classifieds/vbpicgallery.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /usr/www/users/rushabh/forum/vbseo.php on line 1129"
Old 14th March 2008, 19:34   #1210
Senior - BHPian

The forum is becoming lot user-friendly these days. Thanks to GTO and support staff.

One more request from me.(lol the demands/requests never stop flowing).

Can you add a button for the threads/posts/userprofiles/garages which can be marked as a favorite so that we can come back to them later whenever we want to.

If such a facility exist, please let me know.

raj.
Old 14th March 2008, 22:49   #1211
Team-BHP Support

Sohail,

Thanks for posting that. It has been mentioned before and we will get to it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
The forum is becoming lot user-friendly these days. Thanks to GTO and support staff.

One more request from me.(lol the demands/requests never stop flowing).

Can you add a button for the threads/posts/userprofiles/garages which can be marked as a favorite so that we can come back to them later whenever we want to.

If such a facility exist, please let me know.

raj.
kkr2k2,

For threads / posts >

Team-BHP - Team-BHP FAQ: Intermediate Forum Usage
(If you want, select "no email notification", and then the threads you select will be in your "subscribed threads" list.)

For user profiles >
You can use the "buddy list".
Team-BHP - Team-BHP FAQ: Advanced Forum Usage

For Threads / posts / profiles / garages >
How about using your browser's "Bookmark" feature
You could even make a TBHP folder within your bookmarks!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th March 2008 at 22:50.
Old 15th March 2008, 00:12   #1212
BHPian

I dont know whether anybody is experiencing this problem but since today, whenever i log in and click on user cp to see which threads have been updated with replies, i always het different threads. What i mean is that even the ones which i havnt checked and were bold when i logged out are gone when i log in again later. At first i thought it was my computer so i cleared all cookies, reset my browser and logged in and out twice, same result.
Old 15th March 2008, 02:42   #1213
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Rehaan;758899]
kkr2k2,

For threads / posts >

Team-BHP - Team-BHP FAQ: Intermediate Forum Usage
(If you want, select "no email notification", and then the threads you select will be in your "subscribed threads" list.)
Sorry to point this out to you,
isnt the "subscribed threads" is meant for keeping track of the updates in a thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
For Threads / posts / profiles / garages >
How about using your browser's "Bookmark" feature
You could even make a TBHP folder within your bookmarks!
not all people will have the previllage of owning / carrying sleek and powerfull mobile devices with internet connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
For user profiles >
You can use the "buddy list".
Team-BHP - Team-BHP FAQ: Advanced Forum Usage
Thank you for the pointer.
Have already added a good number of buddies but knew how to access them!!

raj
Old 15th March 2008, 15:24   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
isnt the "subscribed threads" is meant for keeping track of the updates in a thread.
Yes but if you select no emails while adding subscription it will add to your list of subscription just like favorites. Anytime later you want to visit this thread you can go to User Cp & click on this thread, if it is not in the list displayed select 'list all subscriptions' from left pane or from link below.

Quote:
not all people will have the previllage of owning / carrying sleek and powerfull mobile devices with internet connection.
I am not sure what do you mean but all browsers on pc allow this facility of adding favorites\bookmarks & also arrange them in a folder.
Old 15th March 2008, 17:02   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yes but if you select no emails while adding subscription it will add to your list of subscription just like favorites. Anytime later you want to visit this thread you can go to User Cp & click on this thread, if it is not in the list displayed select 'list all subscriptions' from left pane or from link below.
Hmmm. the no e-mail thing sounds good.
Thank you alot.
I will try this and get back if i face any problems which i think i wont get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I am not sure what do you mean but all browsers on pc allow this facility of adding favorites\bookmarks & also arrange them in a folder.
that i meant keeping in mind that not all people will be using the same pc all the time. For example i go to Delhi, i wont be having the same pc which i have at my home. Instead i have to rely on a mobile device(SE W200i) which has a very low specifications. Is it so important for me to browse T.BHP? well got addicted to it. And this is one addiction, i dont regret.

raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 15th March 2008 at 17:04.

Most Viewed