Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2008, 04:50   #1291
BHPian

Admin - Please remove useless splash page

I'm talking about the index file that we get when we type Indian Car Forum : Team-BHP : The Definitive Indian Car Community. It has no purpose aside from a "enter" button. Why cant we skip that extra step and just get into the main page?

I know of many TBHPans that dont like that extra page and we feel the site would be much more effective/efficient without it.

Unless there's a reason to have it, please remove it.
Old 21st April 2008, 07:39   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Team-Bhp is blocked by ContentBlocker!

The web filtering mechanism (content blocker) in my office has recently blocked team-bhp. I saw the thread 'Proxying Team-Bhp' and tried out the solutions given in there like https etc, and nothing seemed to work. The reason for blocking the site is "Chatrooms". I don't know how Content blocker senses that this is a forum. Is that because of the word 'forum' in our URL? If so, I would request our mods to try changing the virtual folder name 'forum' in our url to something else which can't be sensed by content blocker.

On the other hand, if the blocking mechanism senses that this is a forum by analyzing the html generated itself, I don't think anything can be done.
Old 21st April 2008, 08:47   #1293
BHPian

When we quote a post containing a picture, the picture is no longer displayed, whereas it was there before the photo-upload scheme through TBHP came through. Isn't it better that way? Can you do something for that?

For eg: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/802336-post3032.html
Old 21st April 2008, 12:50   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
is it only for me or for other too. I am unable to load a page especially the search results. It used happen once in a while in last one week, but now the problem is more frequent.

I use mozilla firefox and version is: 2.0.0.13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
What does the screen show when the page doesnt load ? is it the standard "page could not load" error? or is it an incomplete web page?

cya
R
Quote:
nothing, just blank as if I just opened a new tab. while the loading indicator shows the page being indicated but ends up showing nothing.

It happened even when changing the scheme or opening a link in new tab. Just a blank page. :(

EDIT:Also happened for this reply as well, after submitting the page remained with the editor on the screen, the screen was not re-directed to the thread automatically. I had to open the thread and check manually whether the post got accepted or not.
did someone figure it out / came across this.

I am facing this trouble only with Team-bhp forum. This problem is not coming with other forums such as hotrodders, xbhp. Please look into this. It is getting on to my nerves.

EDIT:Also happened for this reply as well, after submitting the page remained with the editor on the screen, the screen was not re-directed to the thread automatically. I had to open the thread and check manually whether the post got accepted or not.

Yes it happened again.
raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 21st April 2008 at 12:51.
Old 24th April 2008, 18:30   #1295
BHPian

I have two queries-
(i) Why is it that I cannot send a private message. I do not know whether others are facing similar problems.

(ii) Why is the minimum word length 20 as it forces us to write things which are not meaningful
Old 25th April 2008, 13:09   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mods, I was wondering if we could have an "Urgent help required" thread.
There are times when some of us need suggestions and/or help from other members within a couple of hours or within the same day. This can get missed when updating an old thread with a similar query.
Separate threads can be opened in this section for help.

The posts can be removed from the urgent help thread once the help has been provided. This would also get attention of other members who can provide advice/ help promptly.

Please delete if this suggestion is not useful.

Last edited by sammyboy : 25th April 2008 at 13:11. Reason: addition
Old 26th April 2008, 03:03   #1297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Is there any way of finding out how many hours I have logged in to team bhp ever since I became a member ? No break up or anything, just the total number of hours I was signed in.
Rehan / Mods.. is it possible ?
Old 26th April 2008, 08:48   #1298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hi Mods, I was wondering if we could have an "Urgent help required" thread.
There are times when some of us need suggestions and/or help from other members within a couple of hours or within the same day. This can get missed when updating an old thread with a similar query.
Separate threads can be opened in this section for help.

The posts can be removed from the urgent help thread once the help has been provided. This would also get attention of other members who can provide advice/ help promptly.

Please delete if this suggestion is not useful.
1. Any new thread posted also tends to become heavy over time - which would nullify the purpose of seeking urgent information.

2. And deleting such threads after what is considered a "suitable" time is at best fuzzy, with the definitiion of that suitable timeframe differing between users. It would also be a logistical problem for the Moderators team to allow/delete Urgent Request threads from new members who wouldnt have seen the earlier threads since they would have been presumably deleted.

3. All information needed is available using the Search function - which is very accurate and hasnt been known to miss a beat till now. Care has to be taken to supply it with the correct keywords being searched for, and along with the various options of searching thread titles only, entire posts or with displaying the search results in a thread format (displays most of the post as a preview), sifting through information quickly becomes easy.
Old 26th April 2008, 10:37   #1299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskhan View Post
I'm talking about the index file that we get when we type Indian Car Forum : Team-BHP : The Definitive Indian Car Community. It has no purpose aside from a "enter" button. Why cant we skip that extra step and just get into the main page?

I know of many TBHPans that dont like that extra page and we feel the site would be much more effective/efficient without it.

Unless there's a reason to have it, please remove it.

Use this link as the Team-BHP URL in the Favorites shortcut of your browser:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew

This will load the New Posts page directly. Ensure you've logged in permanently/before this.
Old 26th April 2008, 14:59   #1300
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sorry for the unusually late reply. This was a killer week at work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskhan View Post
Thank you. Suggestion noted and should be implemented in the next handful of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Is that because of the word 'forum' in our URL? If so, I would request our mods to try changing the virtual folder name 'forum' in our url to something else which can't be sensed by content blocker.
Though possible, we cannot rename the "forum" folder to anything else. This would, in effect, mean that all of our URLs are changed. You can imagine the disastrous results (existing cross-links, google etc.).

However, I am sure that content blockers would work irrespective of the word "forum" in the URL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
When we quote a post containing a picture, the picture is no longer displayed, whereas it was there before the photo-upload scheme through TBHP came through. Isn't it better that way? Can you do something for that?
Yes, that is one of the few downsides of the Team-BHP attachment system. Vbulletin has designed it that way, presumably to save bandwidth.

Quote:
did someone figure it out / came across this.
Can you try using the standard blue skin and let us know if you see the same problem? I suspect this may be an issue with one of the custom skins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
I have two queries-
(i) Why is it that I cannot send a private message. I do not know whether others are facing similar problems.

(ii) Why is the minimum word length 20 as it forces us to write things which are not meaningful
What is the exact problem you are facing with the PM facility? It is working perfectly for everyone else. Can you email a screenshot to webmaster attherate team-bhp.com?

WRT to the 20 character limit, this has been implemented only after careful consideration by the moderators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Rehan / Mods.. is it possible ?
Nope, it isn't. Sorry.
Old 26th April 2008, 23:36   #1301
BHPian

Hey, was just going through the test drive section. There are a couple of things which would make it a more pleasant experience:
1) Can the cars mentioned in the 'alternative' section be direct links to them such that they open in a new window or tab?
2) Also can there be link on the page for the pages of a couple of long term reports of the car or at least to the Long term section of the forum. Just to help out an outsider(who has no idea that such a page exists) or people who don't use the right search words.
3) There can be column for mentioning the official site for the car so as to get a more complete picture of the cars variants and dealerships.
4) Ok now on the long term ownership and dealership details. Is it possible to club them according to manufacturers or class or make of the car. It would be very simple to read all the reports and posts regarding one car. I think it has been suggested before as well. But I think now with the new sections it would be a boon for anybody looking for a real view at the cars.

BTW the new look is awesome.

Cheers
Old 27th April 2008, 08:26   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can you try using the standard blue skin and let us know if you see the same problem? I suspect this may be an issue with one of the custom skins.
I always use the standard blue skin.
i did suspect this could be the reason and used other skins, but same problem. Only that with other skins my pc works bit slow but thats due to my pc being and old one. Is there any minimum system configuration after the teamBHP upgrade.

BTW, this is pc configuration:
1. P III 700 Mhz.
2. 128 MB SDRAM
3. 40 GB HDD
4. OS - Win XP SP2.
5. Browser - mozilla firefox.

I am not facing this problem when i am posting from my cell phone(W200i), now i am using my cell phone. It has a different problem but thats common for all the forums. May be thats due my cell phone.

PS: in the last two days the frequency of the problem reduced considerably but still it occurs. I will keep you posted on this.

raj.
Old 28th April 2008, 11:44   #1303
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_raiser View Post
1) Can the cars mentioned in the 'alternative' section be direct links to them such that they open in a new window or tab?
Coming up soon.

Quote:
2) Also can there be link on the page for the pages of a couple of long term reports of the car or at least to the Long term section of the forum. Just to help out an outsider(who has no idea that such a page exists) or people who don't use the right search words.
Ditto.

Quote:
3) There can be column for mentioning the official site for the car so as to get a more complete picture of the cars variants and dealerships.
Websites of Indian car manufacturers are provided in the links directory. We do not want to add manufacturer links to the review page itself.

Quote:
4) Ok now on the long term ownership and dealership details.
I didn't quite understand this. Can you email your point across, using the contact us form? Thanks.

Quote:
BTW the new look is awesome.
Thanks

Quote:
I always use the standard blue skin.
i did suspect this could be the reason and used other skins, but same problem. Only that with other skins my pc works bit slow but thats due to my pc being and old one. Is there any minimum system configuration after the teamBHP upgrade.
Since hardly anyone else has reported this problem, and the fact that we haven't come across it during the testing phase, I am gonna have to conclude that its a problem with your computer / network. Sorry I cant be of any more help here.
Old 1st May 2008, 10:39   #1304
stunnerzinc

How about adding a chat. Like the one ebaumsworld has?

Old 1st May 2008, 12:53   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Mods

When a thread is moved or stitched to some other thread of similar topic, does the thread starter get a pm to notify him about the changes??

Regards

Most Viewed