Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 16:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

There is little difference between those Sodexho & food cards.

Sodexho - Is usually provided for the fixed amoutn per month through which you can save tax. Even if you have not utilized it for the month, it valid for whole year. Infact, you can also extend it to the next year by surroundering this. Because, this is YOUR money.

Food card - Usually given as an alternative to lunch / snacks provided by companies. This is part of HR benifits, and not YOUR money. Whether you use or not , (read eat or not in company canteen), the value for the day elapse.

That is why the ceiling for cards + it lapses after that particular month and you cannot extend it.

Note: Both card & coupon is suppose to be used ONLY for food items. In some cases, only ready-to-eat items. These are imposed becasue all these attract tax related benefits. So, these restrictions. So, if used for other purpose, they are illegal.

Last edited by mjothi : 3rd June 2009 at 16:23.
Old 3rd June 2009, 16:30   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
The Spirit of Sodexo and Accor starting these coupons/passes is to encorage employers to give these in lieu of Salary for basic essentials of Life which is Food and Beverages.
As BBlost pointed out using Sodexo passes to buy luxuries is illegal and also unprofessional.
Members of T-BHP should refrain from such activities.
MODS: Please advise.
No matter how you get paid - the govt gets tax out of it... It's just that instead of you paying tax the liability shifts to the employer... Using sodexhos/accors to buy luxuries is not illegal...
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:14   #33
BHPian

The Government allows the employer to subsidize lunch (since most PSU and Government departments provide lunch). this was the spirit behind Sodex Ho Passes. Companies provide Sodex Ho Passes so that employee can have his lunch wherever he chooses. this was originally having a limit of Rs 50 per working day, but now has been revised (my company gives around Rs 1500 per month)

- Grocery stores allow Sodex Ho coupons. the spirit is that people who take lunch from home can use this for purchasing raw materials. It is illegal to buy a detergent paying through the coupons. Most shops take Sodex Ho as a good will measure for non food items (since they can offset this with food shopping done by others).

- No shop in Bangalore to my knowledge charges extra for Sodex Ho. Big Bazaar insists on accepting it only for groceries.

- If you go onsite, your employer should not provide you with coupons for that month.

- At the current price level, i run out of Rs 1500 coupons the first time i visit a grocery shop in a month (only for food items), so never have problems of unused coupons
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
Big Bazaar insists on accepting it only for groceries.
In this time of recession, Big bazaar allows these coupons for other items.
Last month, my relative bought washing machine from Big bazaar using those sodex ho coupons .
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
There is little difference between those Sodexho & food cards.

Food card - Usually given as an alternative to lunch / snacks provided by companies. This is part of HR benifits, and not YOUR money.
Not true MJ. Where I work, we can decide what amount to load the card with upto a max of Rs1600 per month. This money is moved from your salary package to the card and is then used to purchase food (Rs 100 a day ).
This does help you save tax on the amount but the Rs 100 spending limit, is ridiculous.
I would be cancelling this option and take the amount with my salary when the CTC allocation revision window opens for us. I dont know how to spend Rs 14K (YuP u read it right) which is on my card right now with this Rs100 limit. Even if I pay 30% tax on this amount atleast I get to spend it like I want and as much as I want.
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Not true MJ. Where I work, we can decide what amount to load the card with upto a max of Rs1600 per month. This money is moved from your salary package to the card and is then used to purchase food (Rs 100 a day ).
This does help you save tax on the amount but the Rs 100 spending limit, is ridiculous.
I would be cancelling this option and take the amount with my salary when the CTC allocation revision window opens for us. I dont know how to spend Rs 14K (YuP u read it right) which is on my card right now with this Rs100 limit. Even if I pay 30% tax on this amount atleast I get to spend it like I want and as much as I want.
Umm, What happens if you end up having say 1000rs at the end of the month? is it lapsed? or extended to the next month?
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:48   #37
BANNED

Food cards can carry a maximum amount of INR 20K. After which you need to redefine the monthly loading to INR 0.00 or something in line with your spending on the card.
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Umm, What happens if you end up having say 1000rs at the end of the month? is it lapsed? or extended to the next month?
It gets carried on to the next month. Thats why I have about 14K on the card now and with Rs 100 it will take me ages to ever clear it up
Old 3rd June 2009, 18:07   #39
BHPian

Suvi you are bang on target, the existence of these companies is due to labour laws and they are strictly for meals. as per labour laws, companies are to provide meal benefits to their employees, and since that's not feasible in all companies, such companies come into existence.

Suvi, a little OT, you are a magician, changed the nationality of a French company into a Chinese Company - Sodex Ho.
Old 3rd June 2009, 18:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
It gets carried on to the next month. Thats why I have about 14K on the card now and with Rs 100 it will take me ages to ever clear it up
Exactly that is my point. Since this is YOUR money, it will not lapse. Same like Sodexho. Only thing is, they have given in plastic form to make sure you utilize it for right purpose.

Check with your HR. You should definitely have option to take it back and add to the salary and pay tax for those portion.
Old 3rd June 2009, 18:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly that is my point. Since this is YOUR money, it will not lapse. Same like Sodexho. Only thing is, they have given in plastic form to make sure you utilize it for right purpose.

Check with your HR. You should definitely have option to take it back and add to the salary and pay tax for those portion.
Yeah, good point. I will check it with the HR if I can get it back, most prob one cant though, but once the portal is open for change I will stop all contribution to the card.
Old 3rd June 2009, 20:01   #42
BHPian

the attached list is about couple of years old but it still should be useful. OP does this help?
Attached Files
File Type: xls Sodexho_Accepted.xls (223.5 KB, 10392 views)
Old 4th June 2009, 10:06   #43
BHPian

Bhaiyon ( Bros ),

Even our company uses HDFC Food Card, earlier they use to upload 1000rs a month, but effective April 1 they have started uploading 935rs a month.

They have started deducting 65rs as a service tax, I feel that company should be paying the same.

Also these guys have never shared this with us, that we are just allowed to spend 100/day effective April 1

After reading this in here I shared this with colleagues and now there is a riot here.

T-BHP rocks

Last edited by Bubby : 4th June 2009 at 10:09.
Old 4th June 2009, 10:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
In this time of recession, Big bazaar allows these coupons for other items.
Last month, my relative bought washing machine from Big bazaar using those sodex ho coupons .
I hope he brought it through Sodexho gift pass(coupon). But we are talking about Sodexho food /meal coupons here.
Old 4th June 2009, 10:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I hope he brought it through Sodexho gift pass(coupon). But we are talking about Sodexho food /meal coupons here.
Hey, even one of my friend bought a Microwave with his Sodexo meal coupons

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks