Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 14:38   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post
@Kalinga: All i would like to add to whatever i said earlier is, there are idiots everywhere who thug people for money, its more of a media war in India as to who gets more TRPs since Aussie news is more discussed, "one more assault on Indian" would garner more TRPs for the channel airing it!
SMK totally agree, media is invoking uncalled for emotions against Australia. I know of a couple of instances where employees have refused to fly to Australia because what has been shown in the media. I hope the negative media attention against Australia does not affect the many professionals/families who are living in Australia.

I have lived in Sydney for 15 years, went there as a student in 1994. Indians and especially the student population was unheard off. Never faced racism as a student and as a professional. Moved back 2 years ago to Bangalore.

Media is unfairly terming the country as Racists, which is unfair. The actual perpetrators could have been from Asian, Lebanese etc background.
Old 29th March 2011, 08:19   #272
BHPian

Re: Racism in Australia

Found this link , dont know if someone has already posted it

At Risk : SBS Insight

clears the doubts !
Old 29th March 2011, 09:35   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harendra View Post
Media is unfairly terming the country as Racists, which is unfair. The actual perpetrators could have been from Asian, Lebanese etc background.
Didn't they have an official "whites only" policy as late as the sixties? Have they changed totally in one generation?
Old 29th March 2011, 11:34   #274
Senior - BHPian

@Gansan: The attacks on indians and any race people is uncalled for and should be dealt the same way as it is by our country. Friend of mine was also stating the same. Many of the attacks were by lebanese who have also migrated to australia, but we cannot just blame the country as a whole. Yes it is their responsibility to take care of the people in there and also as a human it if yours to take care of yourself.

Do watch the video posted by passion4cars and do watch the entire video. Will get a sense.

We should ban people from painting rosy pictures of universities outside the country just for the sake of some money. Australia first and then tri valley university. These agents prey on the greed and the desire to lead a better life. Ends up leaving a sore taste to all concerned
Old 29th March 2011, 14:49   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
These agents prey on the greed and the desire to lead a better life. Ends up leaving a sore taste to all concerned
Maddy, you've identified the root cause of the problem. The immmigration and visa advice profession is not regulated in India. Any Tom, Dick and Harry can set up shop without any qualifications, expertise or ethical code of conduct.

Most of the Melbourne victims are youth from North India (mainly Punjab) who had taken huge loans in order to enrol in cookery and other technical courses in Australia. The unscrpulous agents sell these student visa programs as an easy way to obtain working rights in Australia.

Reality hits hard when you reach Australia to find out that you can only work part time and the only jobs available for students are in fast food restaurants, convenience stores and taxi cab driving. You have to pay off your loans so you are desperate for any work and will end up working night shifts while living in a cheaper rental in a (relatively unsafe) part of town. In such a situation the odds of becoming a victim of violent crime are very high. This is exactly what happened with most of the victims.

Instead of playing the racism card, our Government and the Media should be cracking down hard on the agents who were responsible for selling study programs as a means to getting jobs Australia.

Whenever applying for any kind of visa or obtaining migration advise, make sure that you use a quaified migration agent who is registered with the Migration Agents registration Authority (MARA). www.mara.gov.au
Old 29th March 2011, 16:07   #276
BHPian

Our media and government is ready to cry "Racism" at the smallest hint but we keep ignoring blatant racism/discrimination within our own country. Just ask anyone from the north east. Personally, i faced more discrimination in India than when I was in Australia. We keep dividing ourselves into regions, castes, languages, etc and our politicians keep encouraging it to get votes. Atleast, Australia is strict with people who are involved in racist incidents.

Also, a few of the reported racist attacks were not racist attacks at all. In one of the cases, the guy faked the attack to claim insurance and in another two cases where an indian guy and an indian kid were killed, the responsible people were indians too. Our media conveniently ignored or consigned these reports to some invisible corner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks