Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 12:03   #1
BHPian

Jai Ho!! A R Rahman live in concert-its after effects!!

31st night was a special night here in Pune. A R Rahman live in concert, at the Balewadi stadium. The hype was too much since the last two weeks!!

Passes of the amount as high as 25k!! were there ofcourse, that was the VVIP section with wedding style red cushoined and SS chairs . Radio partner was radio mirchi so the 2 well known RJ's Aditi and Shrikant were compering. Sound check was done but to me the sound quality would have been better. I heard that this was Rahmans world tour and the first show was in Calicut and there the sound quality and the sync was mediocre so they took special care to avoid that here in Pune.

The security was super tight, pet bottles, cigarrettes, sharp objetcs, digicams, video cams were banned, there was a huge pile up of pet water bottles! Hope that goes to charity. It was an initiative of the Alandi Samiti a very nice organisation and Lata Mangeshkar Foundation too.

The stage was huge! Appropriate light effects, lasers and stuff.
The show starts off- An Sitar player was sitting and playind a SlumDog track which was hugely anticipated by the crowd. We had got seating passes and boy each and everyone stood on the chair and applauded like nobodys business!! Everyone thought its Rahman playing but no!! 5 white color laser descended on that sitar player! the effect was awesome! The lasers can do wonders!! The crowd was roaring with excitement Applauses evrywhere.

Blaaze is the rap aritst, he's Rahman find and when he came up he's like "when i say jai....will you say ho!!" people said ho ho ho ho!! the response was spot on. Then the magic moment, a voice out of nowhere said, "are you ready pune?" that was indeed the voice of the oscar winner rahman. Dressed in a white salwar-kurta, the silken voice moved the crowd. Very uplifting start. Singers like Sadhna Sargam, Hari Haran, Blaaze, Benny, Roop Kumar Rathod, Raja Hussain ( winner of saregama), etc. The dance performances were estatic, very well choreographed.

Mayya Mayya track from Guru was too good, forgot the singers name but she moved like crazy, wearing a Persian outfit. Khwaja was a bliss, Rahman playing the piano was another surprise with hari haran. Rashid Ali had come to sing from the UK. Dosent seem he's from UK when he sings, has a heavy English accent.

Dil Se by Rahman was again a major kick! the projector playing the videos in the background and the lasers were a boon. People were literally jumping and dancing like Nauch girls when Ringa Ringa started again from slumdog. Benny sung well too, Kaise tum mujhe mil gayee...(Ghajini)

Rahman said, he was making the music of Delhi 6 at his Chennai studio and came up with this person who's half muslim and half hindu and how that person was so nice to people that Rahman thought he should never change ever. So thats how "Rahna tuu...Hai jaisa tuu" originated. He also sung that song in fully including the end part music..was so beautiful to experience it.

Well Hamma Hamma came outta nowhere!! and then came Jai Ho and Vande Mataram was the last track!!

A truely entertaining concert for the masses, and well organised. Hopefully he's coming again here soon. And the lasers well i seriously cant stop talking about lasers, can i?

Regards, Paddy

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st June 2009 at 12:25. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post please
Old 1st June 2009, 13:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing like a live concert is there?

I could feel your excitement. Thanks for sharing.
Old 1st June 2009, 13:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Apparently, he's now charging 10 crores for composing songs for a single movie.
I say thats a bloody bargain!
Old 1st June 2009, 13:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Rehamania is Great, Rehamania Live must have been Divine

But 25000/- for a pass is very expensive. i think organizers think that they are organizing the event in the Hollywood.
Old 1st June 2009, 15:25   #5
BHPian

Live concerts are usually nice & A.R. Rahman's music must have been magical. 10 crores - colossal amount of money!!!
Old 1st June 2009, 16:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Great report - could feel the excitement in your narration.

BUT - I feel Rahman's music is over-rated and sounds repetetive (save for a few songs). 25000 for a pass ? ? ? - Thats robbery !
Old 1st June 2009, 17:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
BUT - I feel Rahman's music is over-rated and sounds repetetive (save for a few songs). 25000 for a pass ? ? ? - Thats robbery !
+1.

He is a genius without doubt, but too repetitive. May be a "commercialized" genius dishing out music on demand.
Old 1st June 2009, 17:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Any idea who sang Maiya Maiya? I feel Mauli Dave does a much better job than the original singer Miriyam.
Old 1st June 2009, 18:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer going to a live performance, where there is an element of improvisation.

Most of the bolly/pop live performances are lip syncs though (especially the ones where singers are dancing)
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:06   #10
BHPian

Yes, 25k for a pass is insanity-only 5 rows of 25k, those were right in the front, then 10 rows of 5k then 15 rows each of 2k and 1k. So 1k for 3 hours for Rahman is ok i feel.
Old 6th June 2009, 19:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC
I feel Rahman's music is over-rated and sounds repetetive
Unfortunately, you guys have experienced about 40-50% atmost of Rehman's brilliance.
For the whole deal, you need to listen to his Tamil compositions.
PM me for recommendations
Old 6th June 2009, 19:10   #12
BHPian

^^ Yup nitrous,agree with you mate.PM me the recommendations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks