Team-BHP - How to keep a child quiet in-flight
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   How to keep a child quiet in-flight (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/59702-how-keep-child-quiet-flight-3.html)

Nice thoughts by everyone..

Guys, Need help..

I would be flying to Canada in a few weeks, with family including my 22 months old daughter.

We have done a few domestic flights with her and she did not enjoyed at all, cried most of the time..

Now just the thought of taking her to such a long flight is giving me jitters.! :) There are many queries in my mind,
  1. Where will we seat her, Lap or seperate seat?
  2. Does a seperate seat requires some car safety seat?
  3. Wont she get uneasy being on the lap for such a long flight?
  4. How do we keep her entertained?
  5. Do the bassinets accomodate a child almost two years old? I doubt!
  6. Any particular Airlines advised. Though I doubt I will have any control on that as its an official trip.
  7. Any other points you may add or suggest..

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclops (Post 2102100)

1. - I would say separate seat would be comfortable for you both, but you need to judge if she will sit in it for most of the time.
    Quote:

3. - in aircraft, no. In car, yes.
    Quote:

4. Wont she get uneasy being on the lap for such a long flight?

5. - Ans 1 above.
    Quote:

6. How do we keep her entertained?

7. - Depends on the airline. You can carry crayons, paper, books, portable DVD players etc. However, the in-flight entertainment system (on-demand video) works as well.
    Quote:

8. Do the bassinets accomodate a child almost two years old? I doubt!

9. - No idea
    Quote:

10. Any particular Airlines advised. Though I doubt I will have any control on that as its an official trip.
  11. Any other points you may add or suggest..

Quote:

Nice thoughts by everyone..

Guys, Need help..

I would be flying to Canada in a few weeks, with family including my 22 months old daughter.

We have done a few domestic flights with her and she did not enjoyed at all, cried most of the time..

Now just the thought of taking her to such a long flight is giving me jitters.! :) There are many queries in my mind,
  3. Wont she get uneasy being on the lap for such a long flight?
  4. How do we keep her entertained?
  5. Do the bassinets accomodate a child almost two years old? I doubt!
  6. Any particular Airlines advised. Though I doubt I will have any control on that as its an official trip.
  7. Any other points you may add or suggest..

Seperate seat is always better. At 22 months, i dont think Basinet will be able to hold the kid - but you could call the airline and ask them.
Try to get front seats as they have some room for the kid to walk and play around.
At 2 years old, kids just start taking interest in activity books etc. So, it would be a good idea to start these much before the flight, so the kid feels familiar with his toys and things.

Seperate seat "could" accomodate a car seat. In fact most airlines websites advice a car seat (which is certified for airline use).
However, when i travelled back from US, carrying the car seat itself was a major problem - finally we felt it is easier to checkin the seat than use it. Also the airline aisles are pretty narrow and it would be tough to take the seat inside.
However, for a 2 year old kid, i think a seat is not really of much use - they would anyway be jumping around everywhere :).

Walk the kid along the flight aisles when irritated - found this to be a good way to engage my son.

AS i mentioned in my reply a few posts earlier, understand the sleep patters carefully - and try to adjust according to that.

Lastly, while the kid is sleeping - take a break and enjoy the flight.