Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 11:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Home Purchase: Gurgaon vs Dwarka?

Note to mods: It is completely different from the regular real estate thread, looks at a different perspective and is very very local. Kindly let it stay for a few days before its merged.

Delhiwalas,

Just want your thoughts on flat purchase. I am quite sold on a upcoming (like 2-3 months MAX) complex within Sohna road Gurgaon - it has lovely connectivity and is good. Roughly turns up in 65-70L (90%+ white).

On the other hand is Dwarka (excl the sectors under the new runway takeoff zones) (say 1-18). About 3-7 year old constructions. Asking price 65-75L (former is like bottom of the pits). Atleast 40% cash if not more -

Now the question comes - where should one buy a house for the long term (medium term I may relocate all over india courtesy job demands) - Dwarka has a LOT of supporting infra AND the metro.

So, where would you put your money for the long term?

Personally, I think Gurgaon will grow - sohna road has connectivity AND 80%+ of non-IT MBA jobs will come there only.
Old 4th June 2009, 11:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents:

Being an outsider to Dilli, we bombayites like Dwarka as compared to Gurgaon (Never been to both places but heard a lot from Dilli folks). Also, as you mentioned, Dwarka has Metro but Gurgaon is not yet connected.

PS: What about power cuts?
Old 4th June 2009, 11:24   #3
BANNED

I hear that water is a big problem in Gurgaon. Also, there were stoires about water problems in Dwarka. Please check. Remember boring is banned in Delhi so you may be really stuck.
Old 4th June 2009, 13:33   #4
BHPian

My two cents. Sohna Road is the way to go.
- Most apartment complexes have almost everything within the complex
- Omaxe mall is great for daily needs
- Thanks to the expressway the drive is a breeze
- Will get connected to the Metro - though only in 2011
- Security within the complex is good
- Swimming pool/club/gym/parks all within the complex
- Power back-up, 24/7 water supply
- Covered parking
- You are getting a good ratio of white

Dwarka of what I know has huge power problems and no back-up, but yes it's developing fast.

Best of luck.
Old 4th June 2009, 13:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Amtak and sgiitk saab.

Water is not a problem in the good apartments where the RWA (residents welfare assocn) manages it.

Power cuts is managed in both kinda apartments (have an inverter) - dwarka best i'd get would be lights backup - gurgaon would even be for running AC (at 11rs/unit) - and that's frankly a non-issue.

Its the other hygiene/softer issues really.

And alot of the semi-affordable dwarka apartment blocks in quite passable condition!

I see enough constraints around dwarka (flyover) for commuting already except the lovely metro.
Old 4th June 2009, 14:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Simple. Which address do you prefer? Being a Delhite myself, I know many South Delhi people who dont want the Gurgaon/Haryana address due to law and order, security, power, water or simply status issues. AFAIK, Dwarka gives you the coveted Delhi address.

Apart from that, connectivity in terms of metro, roads etc is supposedly better for Dwarka.
Old 4th June 2009, 18:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

KF, I agree with EVERYTHING - except metro. I'd bet you a bundle that we wouldn't see it before 2013.

2006 second half was when MG road started getting dug up. Today you can see that metro is still not fully there. So even assuming it starts work in 2010 - 2013 is the earliest.

But yeah - fully agree.

@NG: I am in two minds. The localities I am seeing have it all (and the costs) - gated, secure, FULL power backup (at a price), assured water - law n order I personally am not too pained with (have seen enough all around) ... yet. And I am in love with the expressway.

The question of a delhi address is there, but is it worth 25L extra in cash (through additional loan of fixtures/furnishing and savings) - THAT is the question - and getting a sorta questionable construction society. Or for peace of mind, add another 5-7L.

Where does a middle class salaried person draw the line?
Old 5th June 2009, 07:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Bump! anyone else? Where are the delhi junta?
Old 5th June 2009, 08:20   #9

Head to head, the Sohna option comes ahead considering that you would be getting a brand new property and the 'cash' requirement being on the lower side. However, a couple of points you mentioned, tilts it in favour of Dwarka.

1) Medium term relocation across India: If this happens, you would look to rent out the premises. If so, the last time I checked properties in Dwarka (and generally on the Delhi side) commanded better rentals than their G'gaon counterparts.
2) Long term investment: You would seek decent appreciation over a 15-20 year period. While one cannot speculate on this front, the fact remains that Dwarka has an edge here considering proximity to Airport, current and future metro connectivity and as mentioned earlier here - its a Delhi address.
Old 5th June 2009, 09:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Gurgaon is good only if you work in Gurgaon. Trust me, I have worked there for 2.5 years till Feb 09, have a second home in DLF Phase I (4 km from my old office), but commuted 70 km/day from my East delhi home. Cost of living is high, commute is terrible, and driving on roads is dangerous at most times. Lots of malls for you. Even a 3-4 km commute in peak hours is very unpredictable (minimum 10 mins, max: no limit). If it rains, please keep your dinner in your car. I have stayed in Delhi for 40 out of 42 years, have seen Gurgaon since the mid 1990s, but can say that except for real estate prices, everything has gone down.

Dwarka: reasonable, commute to toll plaza (near Ambience) is 30 mins approx if you reach there before 9AM. Water availability is reasonable but quality is very poor. Check on your flat mgt for this.

Off peak hours (10AM-530PM) is great in both Gurgaon and Dwarka.
Old 5th June 2009, 09:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hitanshu, middleclass man and 75 lakhs as budget?

_______________See I drew a line for you. Now decide between Dwarka and Gurgaon so that we are decide upon the house warming party
Old 5th June 2009, 10:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think dwarka is a better option as you will be in Delhi and Gurgaon is not too far.

Are you only looking for flat and no independent home.

I am looking for land in Gurgaon, on which I plan get the home built myself.

I plan to sell of my flat at Dilshad garden and Alaknanda and move to independent home. I am sick of living in flats.

And my current rented house in Gurgaon, has spoiled me completely. I am parking both my car inside home and there is in-house garden.

Though I will have to do my own arrangements for Power Backup and Security, but I am ready to pay that price for having an independent home.
Old 5th June 2009, 10:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

I would say Dwarka... Delhi is well Delhi!
Old 5th June 2009, 11:42   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I would say Dwarka... Delhi is well Delhi!
The most heavily subsidized city in India !!
Old 5th June 2009, 12:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Interesting responses. Thanks everyone.

@sgiitk - Why do you say so?

@rkb - Can you PM me your number? Want to understand your location fundae

@vasudeva ji - You too. Kindly help me understand your logic a bit better.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks