Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 17:38   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
1) Use bucket & mug for bath. Shower only when in a hotel if they have no bucket facility!
Actually normal showers(not the fancy ones sold by luxury bath makers) consume less water than using a mug.
While using a mug, in one shot you empty a mugfull of water.
But while using a shower in medium speed it takes about 5 times more for a mugfull of water to come out of the nozzle.

Last edited by Daewood : 20th April 2010 at 17:40.
Old 20th April 2010, 18:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Actually normal showers(not the fancy ones sold by luxury bath makers) consume less water than using a mug.
While using a mug, in one shot you empty a mugfull of water.
But while using a shower in medium speed it takes about 5 times more for a mugfull of water to come out of the nozzle.
+1.. This is what i had heard as well. So was surprised to see people vouching for bucket and mug. Well here is my 2 cents to save the environment:

1. I never ask for a plastic bag for any purchase i do. I deny it even if the shop keeper is ready to give one.
2. CFL in house everywhere
3. I never use running water for brushing/shaving
4. Try and inform friends/relatives about the importance of conserving water!
Old 20th April 2010, 19:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The second biggest operating expense of any IT company happens to be power. And major part of the power is consumed by AC. When I started construction of our company building in 2006, I was open to unconventional methods of cooling. But I was not able to catch of hold of any vendor who could make it happen.

For example, I was aware of geothermal cooling systems for many years. Since we had enough land behind the building to accommodate the extensive piping, I figured we can make it happen. We had enough borewell water to maintain a pool to extra cooling power. However, when I contacted various people who claimed to have geothermal expertise in India, all I got was clueless to surprised to stupid reaction. In other words, nobody knew how to install and maintain geothermal colling systems. And I didn't want to turn into a guinea pig in the hands of inexperienced installers. So I went with traditional AC solutions.

If geothermal cooling was a reality in India, then we could save loads and loads of energy .

I think this is somewhere where large corporations and companies need to improve - badly. Are the large buildings made of glass really helping us in conserving energy? AFAIK, large glass buildings (like most of the IT companies) are actually creating large greenhouses that trap the hot air inside them. And to cool the temperatures down inside, they increase the air-conditioning. So, more energy lost. In some companies, I have not even seen a window that can be opened in these glass ovens! Surely, we can design better structures by using better material - material that is suited for our climates. Rather than simply copy the designs and materials used in western countries - where such material actually makes sense. Their climates actually need the greenhouse effect to work for them - so that the insides of the buildings actually stay warm.

Am I right or am I right?

Another thing I notice often is - people come to shop in large shopping malls and carry out their purchases in umpteen plastic bags - large ones. I mean, if they really try, they can stuff it all into 2 bags. I rather, carry my own bags when I go to these places. Some people never learn.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

How come nobody mentioned car pooling ? I have started car pooling with a colleague who lives nearby. Car pooling reduces travel expenses, saves fuel and reduces emissions.

I wash my car only once a week. The other days, I just clean it with a dry duster. I use only half a bucket of water and a sponge for washing/cleaning the car.

Apart from this, I also make it a point to maximise the use of CFLs and rechargeable batteries and avoid unnecessary use of tissue papers and polythene bags.

Rohan

P.S. I just hate people who don't close the tap properly after using.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

I collect the water condensing from the AC in a 40 litre bucket and use approx 20 litres once in two weeks for shampoo washing the car. This is to save bore / tap water, as well as to save the car from bore / tap water

I have shifted to 10% CFL bulbs long back. I also ensure all unwanted appliances are turned off / unplugged - this includes mobile chargers / appliances in standby. I also used to underclock my Pentium IV PC to run at 50% its speed, effectively reducing the operating power requirements of the PC to less than 50% - it runs a 80% efficiency-rated SMPS for more than 4 years now.

I carry my own water in the car, and reuse the plastic bottle for at least 3 months. I am strictly against littering in public, and search for waste bins - if they are not around, I keep whatever that is that I want to throw away until I find one
Old 20th April 2010, 19:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I think this is somewhere where large corporations and companies need to improve - badly.
I was going to respond to that too. I was in infosys chennai and I never understood why the building had to be "chilled" in summers to the point that some of us had to wear jackets. My manager who had just returned from US always complained about his house not being "chilled" by his AC and I wondered why one needs that.

In fact I have seen in US offices and homes some people like to keep temperature at 75 in winters and 65 in summers.

And we are only discussing energy efficiency, not our health and body's defense system yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

I carry my own water in the car, and reuse the plastic bottle for at least 3 months.
please don't, plastic decays. I use a steel bottle like the one in middle.

http://waterfiltersforlife.blogspot....-you-want.html
Everyday tips for an Environment Friendly Lifestyle-stainless_steel_bottles_newwave.jpg

Quote:
I am strictly against littering in public, and search for waste bins - if they are not around, I keep whatever that is that I want to throw away until I find one
I have tried and given up on some occasions. anywhere I throw it's bound not to move from there.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 20th April 2010 at 19:43.
Old 20th April 2010, 21:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I think this is somewhere where large corporations and companies need to improve - badly. Are the large buildings made of glass really helping us in conserving energy? AFAIK, large glass buildings (like most of the IT companies) are actually creating large greenhouses that trap the hot air inside them. Am I right or am I right?.
Absolutely right. Problem is that Indian architecture is all copied from the West where they have totally opposite requirement. Mild summers, long cloudy and cold winters ....they like to let as much light and heat in.
Same problem with the so called 'modern' Indian buses. Humungus euro style greenhouse kills AC efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Yes shower of fine jets are more efficient. Higher pressure also helps. Using a mug results in half of it falling to the ground. High flow shower heads are now banned in US. All showers have a max flow rate that cannot be exceeded.

Only advantage of bucket system is that you have a fixed budget for water whereas in a shower people get carried away and tend to just stand there for 1/2 hour just for fun (ladies esp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
How come nobody mentioned car pooling ? I have started car pooling with a colleague who lives nearby.
Saving money+less stressful travel should be the key drivers in addition to eco factor.

Last edited by Mpower : 21st April 2010 at 21:38.
Old 20th April 2010, 21:34   #38
BHPian

I need help installing solar system at my home near Nagpur. Please let me know if you have any contact information for intallation of Solar system in Nagpur area.
Old 21st April 2010, 00:29   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I have stopped taking down notes dictated by lecturers, save pages, save trees. Save environment.

On a serious note.

CFL always in use. Tubes switched on only when I read. No Incandescent bulbs except for Zero watt night bulbs.
My entire house is now running on Small my own assembled L.E.D. lights at night. No no more small CFL's running all night long.
I can go to any room,kitchen, washroom without banging my head as L.E.D. give you glow everywhere you would need to go.

I run only 2 CFL's one is outside house, as the lane is dark and watchmen needs this to do his job and one in my comp. room where i work.
Old 21st April 2010, 01:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note, what is more environment friendly, washing or toilet paper?
Old 21st April 2010, 08:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
On a lighter note, what is more environment friendly, washing or toilet paper?
Dunno about that, but Indian loos are more water-conscious than western ones, and the takes it to a totally different level!
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:37   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Starting this thread to discuss/share information on Eco Friendly initiatives, setups etc...

1. For Indian tropical climate (Bangalore outskirts) What are the fastest growing Shade Trees that one can plant?
Approx what height does it grow to say per year ?

Thanks
Fillmore
Filllmore,
For the Bangalore conditions it seems Neem Tree would be a good solution.
The reason fetched from a webpage.
  • WHAT SORT OF SOIL SUITS THE NEEM ?
The Neem grows on almost all types of soils including clayey, saline and alkaline soils, with pH upto 8.5, but does well on black cotton soil and deep, well-drained soil with good sub-soil water. Unlike most other multipurpose tree species, it thrives well on dry, stony, shallow soils and even on soils having hard calcareous or clay pan, at a shallow depth. The tree improves the soil fertility and water-holding capacity as it has a unique property of calcium mining, which changes the acidic soils into neutral.
  • HOW MUCH WATER DOES IT NEED ?
Neem tree needs little water and plenty of sunlight. The tree grows naturally in areas where the rainfall is in the range of 450 to 1200 mm. However, it has been introduced successfully even in areas where the rainfall is as low as 200 – 250 mm. It cannot withstand water-logged areas and poorly drained soils. Neem makes land more fertile
  • HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO REACH MATURITY ?
The Neem grows slowly during the first year of planting. Young neem plants cannot tolerate intensive shade, frost or excessive cold. A Neem tree normally begins to bear fruit between 3 and 5 years and becomes fully productive in 10 years. A mature tree produce 30 – 50 kg. fruit every year
  • HOW LONG DOES THE TREE LIVE ?
It is estimated that a Neem tree has a productive life span of 150 – 200 years
  • WHERE CAN I GET THE SEED / SAPLING ?
  • HOW TO PLANT NEEM TREES ?
The seeds should be as fresh as possible as older seeds often do not germinate. Provided that only a few trees are to be planted, and there is sufficient moisture available, with minimum weeds, the seeds may be sown directly into the ground. Two to three seeds are placed together about 1 cm deep in loose soil. After germination, only the strongest plant should be retained. When planting a large number, it is advisable to cultivate young plants first in pots, trays or plastic bags. After 3 months, they should be transplanted into the ground. When using bags or pots care should be taken that the plants are not allowed to develop to a stage where the tap root has pierced the bottom and has to be shortened before transplantation. This weakens the trees and substantially slows their growth.

So in short, once planted as a sapling during monsoon, the neem would more or less take care of itself. It also acts as a good shade once it is around 3 years old.

If more folks are interested, we can probably start a mini-project to plant the trees.

Last edited by santhosh_kumard : 22nd April 2010 at 15:40. Reason: more details
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:07   #43
BHPian

What about the energy law: "energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transformed from one state to another"?? If we think we are wasting energy, where is it going??

On a serious note: RWH (Rain Water Harvesting) needs a special mentioning.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:57   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
What about the energy law: "energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transformed from one state to another"?? If we think we are wasting energy, where is it going??
We never waste energy, we convert energy into light,heat,sound and motion. Now what we have is potential energy stored in various forms ( water stored in damn, fossil-fuel, solar, heat in the earths core ). What we do is to convert this stored energy into usable form. Now once you use it to power on light, the usable energy ( in form of electricity ) gets converted to heat and light. The chain goes on. ( But I always wonder what happens when I light a CFL in a closed box, where light energy dies and so does the electricity ) .
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:32   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
( But I always wonder what happens when I light a CFL in a closed box, where light energy dies and so does the electricity ) .
some of it escapes in form of light. most of it hits the walls and gets dissipated as heat.

when we change the energy from one form to another, we make it less usable, we increase the disorderly-ness of the world, or we increase it's entropy. different ways of saying the same thing as we have executed a one-way process.

only way to reverse an increase in entropy is by adding more energy (to bring everything back to order) into the system, which contradicts the whole concept.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks