Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2009, 13:34   #1
BHPian

Everyday tips for an Environment Friendly Lifestyle

Mods: I hope this thread is acceptable under "Shifting Gears". If not, kindly do the needful.

As we know, today is the World Environment Day. Although, we should do our bit everyday to minimise the damage to our environment, wouldn't it be nice if we have a pool to collate the relevant ideas, suggestions and slogans?

It will help us know new / different ways to support the cause. Even if we adopt few of these collected here in our day to day life, it will go a long way.

So, please chip in and let all of us know how do you help mother earth survive a little longer.

To start with:

* I have replaced the float valve in toilet cistern with a new one that allows it to be filled only 60% of its capacity.
* All rooms have CFLs. No incandescent bulbs!

Last edited by codemarauder : 5th June 2009 at 13:35.
Old 6th June 2009, 10:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, to start off:

1) We had four units of Solar panel powering 12V lights. The battery was 12Ah. This was back in early 1990's.
None of them are operational as the winds blew all the panels down from terrace in a span of 9 years.
Two of them are under repair.
Will be operational soon.
How can we use :
Each unit can power 2 12V bulbs for 4 hours and 1 bulb for 8 hours.

2) We had Solar Gizer installed at our place back in 2000. Recently it was replaced with a new one and the old one was sold off.

3) We have one more solar device, basically a parabola reflective dish and at the focus of parabola we keep the stuff we want to get heated like water. There was a special cooker that came with it.

4) All bulbs are now CFL.

5) The tubelights were replaced with entire units and the one without choke were installed.

6) When working on PC at night, there are 11W table lamps. So if one person in working on PC, the tube light need not be switched on. There are two PC that are operated at night ( one by me and other by dad ), so bought two table lamps. Max 22W instead of 40W.

7) Plan is there to buy two more units of solar lamp units.

8) We are pursuing our relatives who live in temple premises ( the temple is basically of their ownership or some other thing, it was more complex after independence as they were Rajwada and government took some part of land ) to have solar street lights installed.
They live in Saurashtra region, so they have ample sunlight and non reliable electricity supply.
They are planning to install 4 for them at their own cost and talking with the temple trust ( my relatives are trusties ) to install 10 solar street lights.
Old 6th June 2009, 11:08   #3
BHPian

Hmmm the contributions of my family:

1) My granduncle had a huge role to play in the starting of World Environment Day.

2) We use all CFLs at home.

3) Use only those lights which you need.

4) I live alone for most of the time, so power consumption of 1 person in a big house is pretty low.

5) No CRT TVs or monitors at home. All LCDs or projection TVs.

6) I have started becoming more ICE conscious, and thus drive slower and at a more steady pace just enjoying my music. This has increased my FE considerably. So I'm saving fuel.

7) My family has started sharing cars instead of everyone just taking their cars with like 2 per car or something, we now pack 4-5 people in a car.
Old 28th January 2010, 23:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Rechargables anyone?

I always use rechargable batteries instead of the regular lead batteries. More and more gadgets in our life means more and more batteries are used and thrown into our
landfills. A rechargable battery + charger is pricey to purchase initially can be used over and over again and will end up cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by Mpower : 28th January 2010 at 23:06.
Old 29th January 2010, 00:11   #5
BHPian

Although this thread was started mid last year, how come there are so few replies? My suggestion? Cut down on the use of plastic bags. This would really make a difference. Although most administrations in our country do not have the spine to implement a total ban, we can help by carrying our own bags. This is an auto forum right? Carry a few cloth bags and a couple of plastic bags (for frozen products) in your car. Stick them under the mat in the hatch/boot. Probably not a good idea to leave plastic bags in the seat pockets if you have young children in the car.
Old 29th January 2010, 10:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemarauder View Post
I have replaced the float valve in toilet cistern with a new one that allows it to be filled only 60% of its capacity.
All you need to do is put a bottle filled with water in the cistern & you will save that much water everytime you flush.
Old 29th January 2010, 19:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you are purchasing or installing a new system, you can get one that come with 2 levels of flushing power.

Hi and Low based on the requirement.

Last edited by Mpower : 29th January 2010 at 21:40.
Old 29th January 2010, 20:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

• Stop buying bottled water, use your own tap water, carry your own water when you travel.
  • Start carry your own shopping bag, stop using plastic bags.
  • Discourage use of disposables such as plastic cups, use your own old-fashioned steel tumblers.
  • Use handkerchiefs, avoid wasting paper - such as tissue paper
  • Don't shave with the water running in the tap.
  • Check if you will save water by not using the shower.
  • Run AC at minimum comfort level.

Last edited by Mpower : 29th January 2010 at 21:38.
Old 29th January 2010, 20:17   #9
BHPian

Most Indians have habit of asking for polythene bag even if they are buying just 1 toothpaste or a chocolate.

Avoid it, it is unnecessary.

I am sure you can hold it in your hand or pocket, and reach home safely.
Old 29th January 2010, 20:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Most Indians have habit of asking for polythene bag even if they are buying just 1 toothpaste or a chocolate.

Avoid it, it is unnecessary.

I am sure you can hold it in your hand or pocket, and reach home safely.
I would love to go back to the olden days when paper bags were in wide use. I mean the old newspaper bags.
Old 29th January 2010, 20:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
All you need to do is put a bottle filled with water in the cistern & you will save that much water everytime you flush.
just make sure you calculate how much water your drainage system needs (end to end). your savings will probably warrant massive repairs if the system dries and gets clogged a few hundred feet from your house over time.

I stick to using reusable bags. using no AC/heat in car, (heat helps the engine by cooling it, but it's my idea of keeping my tolerance level up). At home wife's decision rule though. I use minimal water for shaving, brushing etc. I carry a steel water bottle with me everywhere (plastic is known to release chemicals in water). And by the way, never re-use a soft drinks bottle, it decays.

If you maintain a lawn, use fertilizers and weed/insect killers very very carefully. Ditto for insecticides (mosquito coils?) for any other purpose. They get washed into water stream and kill the ecosystem there.

read here about mutated fish frogs and crocs etc.

FRONTLINE: poisoned waters: introduction | PBS

EDIT: and all other chemials like face creams, moisturizers, tooth paste, shampoo/soap. BTW, I use a herbal toothpaste now because of a mint sensitivity and use only enough to cleanse and freshen.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 29th January 2010 at 20:45.
Old 29th January 2010, 20:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Do not waste water by cleaning cars daily, why not switch over to a frequency of cleaning of maybe 2 times a week?
Old 29th January 2010, 20:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

I did it like once in two months . I don't care as long as the glasses are clear and visible.

I deserve a jeep.
Old 29th January 2010, 20:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have stopped taking down notes dictated by lecturers, save pages, save trees. Save environment.

On a serious note.

CFL always in use. Tubes switched on only when I read. No Incandescent bulbs except for Zero watt night bulbs.
Old 29th January 2010, 21:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I have stopped taking down notes dictated by lecturers, save pages, save trees. Save environment.
In my office, at work, I have no printouts, no files, except for the important contracts that I sign. I do not know when I last took a printout for official purposes. Even bills submitted to my clients (mainly foreign) are sent by email.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks