Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 10:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cars wanted by Mumbai Police

hey guys I was just at juhu and saw that mumbai police has started new system,( I dont know but i saw it for the first time) they are flashing numbers of 10 odd Toyota (has to be Land Cruiser) as wanted cars. did anyone of you have seen this?? it seems these cars are wanted by DRI. even i heard that the hunt is on for modded cars.
Old 10th June 2009, 10:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

I saw also the Police sign board flashing numbers/ makes of stolen cars either at Sion or J J Hospital
Old 10th June 2009, 11:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

all of them were Toyota's, they didnt mentioned the model but it seems they are looking for land cruisers.
Old 10th June 2009, 11:04   #4
BHPian

They mentioned this in Mumbai mirror and gave the numbers of 10 odd cars

It was 3 days ago I think, they said these cars are illegal and are all LC's.

I'll try to find the paper now and post the car numbers.
Old 10th June 2009, 11:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

gagan you are right, it was in the papers as well.
Old 10th June 2009, 14:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

yup, was in the papers on monday.they are looking for the landcruisers. but pdev you mentioned they were looking out for modded cars. Is that true ?

rev
Old 10th June 2009, 17:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

yes rev.. as far as i know some of the modded cars were pickedup because of ill leagal mods.
Old 10th June 2009, 18:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

These cars are most likely wanted for duty evasion and illegal imports. Modded cars are wanted for illegal mods. A big difference.

These cars were probably bought in by faking the chassis number as an older car to save the duty amount. Some of these cars were stolen abroad but that is not the DRI's problem. They dont have an issue as long as the duty is fully and properly paid. Here the owner suffers as he has bought the car in good faith and by paying the full amount. Its his money lost.

A lot of so caled dealers are on the run and a lot have been arrested.

Lesson to be learnt, do not buy a car without the relevant duty papers and the bill of entry. Better still buy a car from a company established here.
Old 11th June 2009, 00:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
These cars are most likely wanted for duty evasion and illegal imports. Modded cars are wanted for illegal mods. A big difference.
And RTO folks would be looking for modded cars, not DRI.
Old 11th June 2009, 09:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And RTO folks would be looking for modded cars, not DRI.
Good point. That gives me a thought.. How can anyone get their modded car endorsed by the RTO? Anyone?
Old 11th June 2009, 11:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

some of the dealers are out on bail.
Old 11th June 2009, 12:36   #12
BHPian

Do not know whether this would be appropriate with the subject of the thread. There has been a big increase in thefts of cars from Housing Societies in Navi Mumbai especially Panvel area in the last few weeks. Some gangs are active with this. My housing society was visited by a gang of 12 hefty persons at 0230 hrs on the midnight of Monday-Tuesday. They came in 2 SUVs which were parked some distance away. Few of the guys waited inside while the remaining came to the boundary wall and were inspecting the dozen odd vehicles. The watchman fortunately was awake and claims to have tactfully acted. He pretended to be speaking on the phone to someone asking the imaginary persons to rush back as some problem is there in the Society. The gang members then slunk away after commenting in Marathi that the watchman is awake !!
We have informed the local Police station in writing of the event. The reg. numbers of the SUVs could not be noted as they were far away. The Police reacted typically that these incidents are happening because watchmen are sleeping !! We have requested for increased police beats.
Last few days all are quite scared in the building. The general feedback in the locality is that these people are experts in opening the stolen vehicles and driving off fast before even the owners can react even if they are awake. Tackling them is also dangerous because of the number of people involved. So we should basically term these operations as dacoity more than theft.
Old 11th June 2009, 12:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

As you can see from the following thread, this is the state of affairs in my locality in Thane:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...st-stolen.html

I heard that 2 SCorpios were stolen in last 2 weeks in my area, all by the same black Maruti 800 gang.

The cops told the Bolero owner (see thread above) that they disclaim responsibility for any thefts! And told him not to keep his car outside the building compound. Very obviously, the police-thieves play together. They are also accustomed to blaming watchmen - what will those poor guys do anyway when confronted with hoodlums?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks