Team-BHP - Advice needed for a newbie dog owner. The Enzo Diary...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Advice needed for a newbie dog owner. The Enzo Diary... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/60195-advice-needed-newbie-dog-owner-enzo-diary-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 1360481)
Soon... don't worry, i'm not gonna let this thread die. In fact i'll start a DogBlog thread once i get him home in July. I'm very inspired after reading Mad dog's Diary (a must read - although ofcourse, that diary was apparently written by the dog)

you mean bad dog's diary - the one which i mentioned barely a few days back :) wow you finished reading it so fast or i guess you already had it on you

Quote:

Thinking of renaming the pup (currently jazz by the owner) to enzo.
hows Punto :) seems more lively, enzo seems more old and respectable

Quote:

Originally Posted by jassi (Post 1360511)
you mean bad dog's diary - the one which i mentioned barely a few days back :) wow you finished reading it so fast or i guess you already had it on you

ya bad... i had read it quite a while ago but after you suggested it, i re-read it

Quote:

hows Punto :) seems more lively, enzo seems more old and respectable
nah i don't like punto...

ensure the dog gets a lot a calcium (liquid) supplement till he/ she is atleast one and half years old.
2capfuls morning and 2 in the evening - daily. develops the bones and will contribute greatly to the dog's overall health in the long term. they need plenty of exercise or they tend to get fat and lazy.
Also give him/ her one Seven Seas capsule per day for the coat.

give them a lot of love and affection and while teaching him/ her, dont hit the dog if he/ she has been naughty. gently hold the muzzle, look into his/ her eyes and shake his/ her head from side to side saying NO in a firm voice each time. they will get the message quickly.

keep lots of chewable toys and tennis balls etc around for the dog to bite on and tear - this will save your shoes and socks and furniture.

buy a book on the breed - learn about the breed and its special needs - consult a doctor before medicating the pet whenever required. and keep a record of his/ her weight every 2-3 months.

normal feed would be 3 times a day - as recommended. bread and milk will be good in the morning and evening. lunchtime rice and meat / pedigree as per recommended qty and weight for the breed.

the main thing is to treat the dog as a member of the family and spend as much time as possible with the pet. I ve always found when you constantly speak to the dogs they understand your various tones of voice very well and they love it.

dogs need to go out often so ensure they are taken out atleast 5-6 times a day for a short walk.

ref toilet training, the smart way is to scatter newspaper around and when he/ she wants to go, he/ she will use the newspaper. keep moving the newspapers daily towards the outside of the house and they will soon get the message that their business is not to be done within, but outside.
Always ensure a bowl of clean water is kept for the pet in an accessible place - they need lots of water and this will keep their kidneys healthy.

Im sure you will enjoy his/ her companionship for a long time to come.
all the best

Tejas,

The other store I go to for leashes is in Bandra - Paws n Furs, on Waterfield Road, close by to Zenzi/Red Box/China Gate. Stopped living in town so don't know any other places for leashes.

If you're in bandra with your dog, there's a professional grooming parlour near Hawaiian Shack. I've heard they're good, but I bathe my own dog.

Can't wait for your dog to come this friday! I like the name ENZO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 1361515)
the main thing is to treat the dog as a member of the family and spend as much time as possible with the pet. I ve always found when you constantly speak to the dogs they understand your various tones of voice very well and they love it.

I second that. Talk to him as much as possible as if you are talking to a human being. It is amazing how it picks up the language. I can safely say from my experience labrodor or GSD can easily recognize at least 100 words.

& train him your self as much as possible. They are supposed to grow closer - since they understand better when you do it yourself, and the affection you show when he does it right each time, will also bring him closer to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by venuraja (Post 1343082)
For people living in a flat, Boxer would be a suitable dog.
Labrador needs more exercise. And you must take care of it by making it
fetch a ball etc., and walking.
As for Dog food , since dog's elementary canal is shorter and it is much shorter in GSD , it is always advisable to give non-veg food. If you do not want too much work and also a food which is somewhat balanced for a dog , you better go for a dry food available as branded in any super market,for example pedigree.

You have to give small quantities for a puppy and must be along with milk in the morning with a raw egg broken in to it.
Until pup grows it requires milk.

Once it grows up to 6 months age , give dry food about half-kg to three quarters of Kg only once. Dogs do not need food many times in a day.
About tit-bits ,which you can use small balls of dry food, only as a gift when it obey your commands.

In the morning regularly you can give some break fast like food for example
egg omlet plus one boiled egg plus one tea cup milk. that is all.

Please understand that one should not change dog's food, it is exactly reverse in case of human beings. Dogs health would spoil and it may even die if you change its food.
Human beings may get sick or may get uncurable deseases if they eat only one type of food regulary. Food and fruits have to be changed in case of humans but for dogs
you should never change food.

Human owners do not need vaccines to maintain a dog.
Govt.vet clinic is enough to advise you vaccine doses for your dog.

Your pet never shall develop possesiveness about its ball and other play toys and also about it's dish and bed. It should never be allowed to get a feeling that it is the master of the house. That is why you should move it's plate while it is eating since it's childhood. Otherwise it would develop very dangerous possesive intincts and attack the owner if he pulls its plate of food, it would prove perticularly dangerous
for children in a flat.

This means you should never allow it to sit on sofa,bed on chairs etc., and that you should make it clear in the begening as to who is master.

Gosh, I saw this just now... and can't help but comment because it has some real dangerous advice...

My doggie ate mostly veg. throught his life. Yes he was given non veg... but very infrequently. He lived 17 happy, very intelligent and very healthy years with no health issues at all. He could run till his last day.

About chaging food... I think mine would have died of starvation if we had given him the same monotonous stuff everyday. He demanded variety. It was variety or hunger strike. lol: If it were true about dogs dying due to variety, mine would have ditched us in months instead of 17 long years.

And Indian Govt. vet clinic for your precious pooch?? :eek: Gawd... even most pvt. vets are not at all upto the mark!! Lemme not even comment further...

About posessive instincts... my doggie has never ever attacked me even if I take something from its mouth... forget about his plate. I agree about not letting them get onto sofas and chairs where we sit, solely for hygiene reasons. In my pooch's case, his highness refused to sit at an elevation any lesser than the reast of us. :-D So one sofa chair was reserved for him. And he was happy with that. And yes, he was very posessive about me... and to an extent of my mom. Thats their personality, and I wouldn't wanna change that.

And really, anybody talks about a master-pooch relationship, he is neurotic, and needs treatment. Please don't get a poor dog to bully and boss on and prove who is the master. Try picking on somone your own size!

For me my pooch was not just a dog. He was my bood and bones. And I was certainly not his master. It has been few years since he left us, but he lives on very strongly in all of us...

Hmmm... great bits of advice. Getting him this friday afternoon. Can't wait, too excited!

Finally, i get time to sit on tbhp. Enzo got home this friday and has settled himself in like a king and demands full time attention!
Good boy that he is, didn't cry a bit after being separated from his mum and siblings.
I'm gonna give a more detailed write up later, enjoy the pics till then...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 1366685)
Gosh, I saw this just now... and can't help but comment because it has some real dangerous advice...

My doggie ate mostly veg. throught his life. Yes he was given non veg... but very infrequently. He lived 17 happy, very intelligent and very healthy years with no health issues at all. He could run till his last day.

About chaging food... I think mine would have died of starvation if we had given him the same monotonous stuff everyday. He demanded variety. It was variety or hunger strike. lol: If it were true about dogs dying due to variety, mine would have ditched us in months instead of 17 long years.

And Indian Govt. vet clinic for your precious pooch?? :eek: Gawd... even most pvt. vets are not at all upto the mark!! Lemme not even comment further...

About posessive instincts... my doggie has never ever attacked me even if I take something from its mouth... forget about his plate. I agree about not letting them get onto sofas and chairs where we sit, solely for hygiene reasons. In my pooch's case, his highness refused to sit at an elevation any lesser than the reast of us. :D So one sofa chair was reserved for him. And he was happy with that. And yes, he was very posessive about me... and to an extent of my mom. Thats their personality, and I wouldn't wanna change that.

And really, anybody talks about a master-pooch relationship, he is neurotic, and needs treatment. Please don't get a poor dog to bully and boss on and prove who is the master. Try picking on somone your own size!

For me my pooch was not just a dog. He was my bood and bones. And I was certainly not his master. It has been few years since he left us, but he lives on very strongly in all of us...

What is this pooch is all about?
What was the breed of your dog ? A country dog eats excreta and survives! I am just giving an example.

Read about breeds ,of pure origins, I am not giving any dangerous advise.
Dog’s food should not be changed. It is possible that it can die.
Dog's food should be given only once in a day(except a cup of milk in the morning), once it grows out of its puppyhood.
I stand by my advice.
What I can say is that your dogs food habits (whatever is the breed, which you did not mention)can not be set as standard and then a dangerous advice given to others !!!

I have read ,heard and seen strange cases when GSD had bitten its master because he had not given it biscuit on the day, when he was expected to give it because he gives a biscuit to his GSD ,everytime he returns home from office.
The dog was not at all neurotic.
There are umteen number of cases when a dog tried to attack when it's own food plate was moved for whatever reason, and these incidents included almost all breeds but perticularly Tibentan Mastiff, Doberman, GSD and Great Dane.
Any dog handlers,lover,breed developer would tell you that since dog's puppy stage , you should take care that it is not possesive about its food plate,ball etc.,

Your dog was very possesive about you and that is admirable.

My friend's right hand was badly bitten with deep incisive bites by his own GSD because
he had beaten (slapped) his wife right in front of their dog. The GSD was very protective about his wife because she was feeding him. And also GSD is sheep dog by nature.

I heard from my father, that one of our realtive's GSD had killed their newly wedded son-in-law who arrived at his in-laws house in the night without any annoucement and the dog pounced on him.
They could not controll the dog because they did not train it , to listen to their commands in the first place. The other mistake they did was that they allowed their dog to decide the matters!!
So when they tired to pull it away from their son-in-law , it had turned back on them and bitten them as well. It was simply because the dog at the moment was deciding as to who is the enemy. And it sincerely thought that it was the master of the pack (human family) and that from dog's perspective , the pack did not know how to deal with the enemy ! By the time they shot the dog with a gun
their son-in-law died.

The dog was not mad or neurotic .
I know it because when first time I rised a pet
(a cross of Tibetan Mastiff) I had this bad experience, my own dog was about to attack a tea boy who suddenly appeared from nowhere and when I tried to stop it had turned on me and I had to move back. It had bitten the boy , the dog's attack is generally like on a predator so, with a push of the dog the boy fell helpless and was bitten . At the time I had to catch the dog by its throat ,lift it up and throw it away.
This was long back and since then I read so much that it was like a research project on dogs.
I know what have written.

Hi Tejas. Congrats on your new pet. Hope you checked out his teeth. Make sure they are nice and sharp. No need for polishing, braces, fillings and root canal, I hope.:D

thanks pedro!
venuraja & Raccoon, relax guys.
As my latin friends would say, Stercus accidit (s.hit happens). I feel bad for your relative venuraja but stop posting depressing stuff on my happy thread!!!!!!!

Oh he is so damn adorable. Congrats!! a whole new chapter in your life is going to unfold. You will understand love in its most pure and true form.

The 3rd picture is the best.

He is Soooooooooooooooo Cuteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Tejas. I am in love with him.

ps - This is one ferrari I love :D