Team-BHP - Advice needed for a newbie dog owner. The Enzo Diary...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Advice needed for a newbie dog owner. The Enzo Diary... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/60195-advice-needed-newbie-dog-owner-enzo-diary-7.html)

Tejas,

Some more pictures please ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by normally_crazy (Post 1405081)
Tejas,

Some more pictures please ?

You've seen the facebook ones already... He's at the farm this week, i'll click more when he gets back. Gosh he's grown though!!!

this is good advice

however, most dogs easily eat chicken bones also by crunching them up, if they are given chicken bones right from an early age onwards.

all my dogs these last 30 odd years have always happily eaten chicken bones whenever chicken was made in the house - of course the masala bits and pieces need to be washed off before the bones are given because salt and masala is not good for dogs.

when we lived in the hills my dogs used to regularly catch jungle fowl etc and eat them up, feathers included.

lets not forget they are genetically programmed as predators so instinctively they know what to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torque123 (Post 1373340)
I am assuming that you are a non vegetarian and cook non veg at home.

Cook the big beef bones which you get for 20 or 30 bucks. Tell the shopkeeper to leave a little bit of flesh on it and break the bone into half. The corners of the bone should be tender when cooked which the dog can scrape and nibble on. If the entirebone is hard he wil lose interest in it very soon. In local terms i call that kind of bone as Nalli bone. These bones are huge, nutritious (has lot of calcium in it and also cleans the dog's teeth) and safe for the dogs. A pup cannot break it open but will keep trying to break it. Hope you got what i said.

DO NOT FEED CHICKEN BONES.

This will end the chewing of furnitures etc problem. This also makes the dog learn to chew and eat the normal food also. Labs are greedy eaters and swallow most of their food than chewing it.

Also raise your voice while speaking to him if he has done something wrong. Let him know that you are angry. Correct him only if you have caught red handed. For example - if he has pooped in an incorrect place and you get to know about it after quite sometime and you try to correct him then, he will not get to know whats the reason for you to correct him.

Dogs understand actions better than verbal. So make sure every coomand of yours should be accompanied by a particular action. Let it be repetitive.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys, need advice. I have a dog approx 9 months old. Name's Hachi. It is a bitch. I took it from the street, its both hind legs were fractured when it was just days old and was lying in a drain, abandoned. I took it in just because couldn't leave it that way.

Long story short, I took it as a pet and is very healthy now. However, it started its menstrual cycle few days back and i started keeping it under strict supervision so that it doesn't get to mate with other dogs outside. I can't afford to have it produce litter, it is just not possible in my place where I currently live. Hachi escaped today despite best efforts to keep her away from dogs and mated with another street dog.

Can somebody help me as to what to do, I am in no position to take it to the vet as of now due to the imposition of lockdown, although the vet was the one who had helped me save its life when I had picked it up from the street. How do I avoid pregnancy for sure?

(I couldn't believe when I saw that even topics related to pets exist on our forum, Kudos! I have been here for many years but never noticed these threads.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuldagap (Post 4796990)
Hi

Can somebody help me as to what to do, I am in no position to take it to the vet as of now due to the imposition of lockdown, although the vet was the one who had helped me save its life when I had picked it up from the street. How do I avoid pregnancy for sure?

(I couldn't believe when I saw that even topics related to pets exist on our forum, Kudos! I have been here for many years but never noticed these threads.)

The only thing to do is to take her to a
Vet and have her checked.
Three months is the usual cycle for dogs.
So around 2-3 weeks post mating you can have a scan done to see if theres any activity in the womb.
Which city are you in ? I cant see that because Im on the mobile app. If in Bangalore then PM me I will suggest a first class vet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 1403487)
He's now rechristened Enzo. ...

A bit off topic, but any chance you have seen the movie -The Art of Racing in the Rain on Hotstar? You might find the resemblance a bit uncanny!:)