Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2009, 20:17   #1
D-Man

Career Advice

** Many of us are looking for a change in career or are hunting for jobs in times of recession. Initiating this thread for open ended career discussions where BHPian's can exchange information from one another**

Old 12th June 2009, 23:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

How about you go first, lol.
Old 12th June 2009, 23:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

This might help if you are looking for a job.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...on-thread.html

with regard to career advise, do let us know what you have studied and what you wish to explore as a career.
Old 13th June 2009, 00:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

He didn't say that he was looking for career advice. If I read correctly, he was merely creating a platform for many of us. lol.
Old 13th June 2009, 00:25   #5
BHPian

I recently changed jobs and the one thing that I found out that the HR's are inundated with thousands of resumes these days. After all it's an employers market and employers can pick and choose from the pile. Gone are the days of demanding 40% rises and fabulous perks - there are others ready to take that job away from you at the drop of a hat.

A strong professional network helps a lot. Network network network on LinkedIn. This post is pretty useful - How to Change the World: Ten Ways to Use LinkedIn

All my interviews that I gave were through my professional and personal network where I was able to reach the right hiring manager. Don't involve the recruiter at the initial stages - speak directly to the manager hiring and above all have a lot of patience. Typical cycles I experienced were between 6-8 weeks.
Old 13th June 2009, 01:20   #6
BHPian

This may be somewhat irrelevant, but a chap I know recently lost his call centre job, became a freelance travel agent (whatever that may be) and is now doing pretty well and seems to be happier. I know that he would never had thought of doing this if he had not got the sack.
Old 13th June 2009, 13:58   #7
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
He didn't say that he was looking for career advice. If I read correctly, he was merely creating a platform for many of us. lol.
Sam you are right, I was just creating a platform for many. A place where people can discuss career change, shifts due to recession, best practices, certifications etc.

Old 24th August 2010, 13:39   #8
BANNED

Reviving an old thread.

Asking this for a friend of mine.
He has 10+ years in the Software Industry - working mostly in product companies (as against service companies). He is hands on with only little managing experience. Technical skills are mostly in C & C++ in Unix & Windows. He has worked in the US for many years has spent the last few years working in different cities in India. He now wishes to return to Mumbai - but unfortunately there are very few product company oppurtunities in Mumbai - these are more in Hyd, Bangalore, Pune etc. Also he wishes for some sort of change in career. He wants to be in a technical line but not day to day programming or design.

Money isn't a big thing - he is willing to take a huge cut in salary to facilitate the career change & relocation.

These are some of the things he is thinking about
- Teaching career. He is an engineer (but not a Comp Sci engineer). Also he doesn't have the NET, SLET certifications for teaching which engineering colleges require (that's what he thinks). He is a self taught programmer with 10+ years experience.

So what other avenues are open for him for pursuing a teaching career in Bombay?

- Someone also suggested a CISA certification - How to Become CISA Certified

Anyone in TBHP who are in these 2 areas or any related areas have any suggestions?

Last edited by carboy : 24th August 2010 at 13:41.
Old 24th August 2010, 14:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

teaching in institutes is not bad. A friend of mine quit his job at one of the top 3 indian MNC's , and is now teaching Mainframes at some institute. His pay package is much better, and its a 9-5 job
Old 24th August 2010, 16:29   #10
BHPian

Glad this thread popped up!

I stumbled upon a garment distributor last week - through a friend.
He is a wholesaler and has a retail outlet too. not far from my house.

Here is the thing.

The shirts I purchased from him ( more like a pilot buy ) were excellent. And the price was very reasonable as he manufactures them himself.

I thought to myself why not me buy some of these shirts in bulk ( get it even more cheaper perhaps) and sell it.

I plan to buy em and sell em at a marginal profit. For me the more people come to know of it at least initially, is of primary importance.

Now is where I need advise from some of you seasoned business men.

How do I take this forward ?
Where do I advertise ? ebay / any other alternative.
Old 24th August 2010, 17:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
I plan to buy em and sell em at a marginal profit. For me the more people come to know of it at least initially, is of primary importance.

How do I take this forward ?
Where do I advertise ? ebay / any other alternative.
I am not a businessman or a entreprenuer, but a marketeer.
i will suggest the following

1. Decide what is going to be your business model ?
Export or Domestic
Retail or supply chain
commodity clothing or fine dressing

2. Decide why people should buy from you and not from any one else or from the source from where you are buying these garments.
This basically talks about your value addition. What difference you provide to the consumer which will make you a preferred supplier / shop

3. Understand what will keep you going in this business. Is this a short term activity or long term activity ?. How you will sustain if your supplier drains out or finds alternative channels to reach your consumer.

4. Decide is this going to be a part time or full time occupation for you. If this is going to be a full time activity, what is the plan B if this fails, what is the scale of your business, what margin you intend to make, what are the costs of sales (advt, shops, salespeople, transportation, taxes, etc), what is your break even volume, time duration, working capital needs, sources of working capital, financing et etc
If this is a part time, how much time you will devote, what are your ambition levels in terms of volumes, margins etc

5. Based on above 4, you can have an agreement with your supplier for exclusivity, limited exclusivity etc, and draw up a business plan and execute it.

i am sure, this will not be as simple as the 5 points i have written above.
i have an habit of oversimplifying things some times.
Old 24th August 2010, 22:11   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
teaching in institutes is not bad. A friend of mine quit his job at one of the top 3 indian MNC's , and is now teaching Mainframes at some institute. His pay package is much better, and its a 9-5 job
Is it fulltime employment or more as a freelancer when there is training to be done?

Do you know what institutes would hire someone to teach C/C++ in Bombay?
Old 9th March 2011, 16:16   #13
BANNED

Re: Career Advice

Reviving an old thread. This is for the same friend I had talked about above.

He is a software professional who has spent 12+ years in the industry. Now looking to get into teaching. He is an engineer but not a comp sci engineer.

Are there any engineering college professors on team-bhp? What is the process of recruitment in Engineering colleges, especially private colleges? How does only apply?
Old 9th March 2011, 23:16   #14
Team-BHP Support

Its easy to get into engineering colleges, but thats where it stops. As per UGC norms one has to have a Phd to become a professor. So to that extent, progress will stop.

But if teaching is the only moto, then it should be possible. There are many many colleges available, who have no good faculty (might as well say no faculty at all!).

PS: I am no prof, but stating what I have seen.
Old 10th March 2011, 00:40   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its easy to get into engineering colleges, but thats where it stops. As per UGC norms one has to have a Phd to become a professor. So to that extent, progress will stop.

But if teaching is the only moto, then it should be possible. There are many many colleges available, who have no good faculty (might as well say no faculty at all!).

PS: I am no prof, but stating what I have seen.
So what is the position for someone who isn't a PhD? And doesn't UGC have any norms for that position? Also what kind of salary can one expect for that position?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks