Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2009, 13:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wanted: GOOD Clothes for Plus Sized Males and Females

Every single time I go clothes shopping, this is a sequence of events that unfolds:

After a LOT of hard work, looking around. I find something nice. I ask for the same apparel in my size. The man makes a confused face, goes back to the godown or fumbles in the piles lying around and comes back in a few minutes with one answer, invariably, "Sorry, saar, it's not available in your size."

This has infuriated me to no end and slightly obese people have absolutely no option than to go to All (which stocks good quality, but sidey fat uncle stuff, which, frankly, is not trendy or fun to wear at all. It's all a compromise)
I have been looking for stores in MUMBAI that stock good stylish clothes for plus sized people (like me) and I have thus far been unsuccessful. Can anyone suggest shops that have NICE clothes (like chinos, six-pocket cotton trousers, plus sized sport t-shirts, denims, formal trousers, shirts etc.) for people of my size (and larger)
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by frankmehta : 14th June 2009 at 14:00.
Old 14th June 2009, 13:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

Okay so you want clothes for yourself then why do you need for females?
Old 14th June 2009, 14:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

hehe.. There are quite a few female members on team-bhp, and this can serve as a good reference for everyone ;-)
Old 14th June 2009, 15:08   #4
BHPian

Hmm plus size clothing. That is definitely an ordeal, shopping for trendy stuff here in India. I am thankful that I am no longer in that category, and life is easier, however my brother still is, and it's next to impossible finding stuff off the shelf for him.

I simply do all my shopping in the US, so Plus sizes are easy to come by, and you can find almost any style/pattern/trend you want.

The only way I know is to have whatever you want tailored for you. It's actually a great option as we have many talented tailors, who are able to copy designs well, and we can make whatever modifications we want to suit us etc...
Old 14th June 2009, 15:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Every single time I go clothes shopping, this is a sequence of events that unfolds:

After a LOT of hard work, looking around. I find something nice. I ask for the same apparel in my size. The man makes a confused face, goes back to the godown or fumbles in the piles lying around and comes back in a few minutes with one answer, invariably, "Sorry, saar, it's not available in your size."

This has infuriated me to no end and slightly obese people have absolutely no option than to go to All (which stocks good quality, but sidey fat uncle stuff, which, frankly, is not trendy or fun to wear at all. It's all a compromise)
I have been looking for stores in MUMBAI that stock good stylish clothes for plus sized people (like me) and I have thus far been unsuccessful. Can anyone suggest shops that have NICE clothes (like chinos, six-pocket cotton trousers, plus sized sport t-shirts, denims, formal trousers, shirts etc.) for people of my size (and larger)
Thanks for the help!
Xmex has a better range of clothes. They have a shop off Linking road Bandra west, Go into the KFC lane, and take a right to the road parallel to Linking Road, the same mall where Leena Mogre's is (how apt!) on the ground floor. Also they have another shop i think in the Fame Adlabs Citi Mall.

Also there's another store on Hill Road Bandra near Cheap Jack called Hum India. you may get larger sizes there.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 14th June 2009 at 15:11.
Old 14th June 2009, 16:20   #6
BHPian

Frankinicestein.... How about Bangkok?? Clothes there are pretty cheap and I know for a fact you get good stuff.
Old 14th June 2009, 21:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

if you have a pantaloons near your place check out a brand called ALL in them they stack larger sizes.
Old 14th June 2009, 22:05   #8
BHPian

The All store on the fame adlabs/fun republic road got a new collection. Heard it from a friend check it out.

Also try to check out this shop called clothes rack. They only keep imported brands that they import and they sell at huge discounts, totally original.

Try xmex too as suggested earlier.
Old 14th June 2009, 23:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

You'd go through gazillions pages - but I suspect the answer would be the same, a prolific tailor somewhere or assorted collections here and there.

Its just alot of checking out and all - there really ain't no magic bullet
Old 14th June 2009, 23:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

finding good t shirts in XL/XXL is always a heartbreaking affair :(
Old 14th June 2009, 23:13   #11

I know whay he needs the female clothes!! But I cant say that here!!

Frank, What are your sizes. You dont look that fat in the pictures. and largo clothing is absolutely no problem in Bombay...I would know..Experience!!

p.s.- This is for all the lurkers....I know your minds work in funky ways when it comes to decoding the above sentence, but dont bother. Though im sure there will be something on facebook about this.
Old 14th June 2009, 23:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

i have particularly put on weight in the last 6 months.
grown from a waist size 42 to a very abysmal 44, and an embarrassing size 46 for tees and shirts. good clothes is a problem at that size!
Old 14th June 2009, 23:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have a chest size of 44-46, no problem in obtaining any manner of shirts. But waist is 36-38 depending upon season and climate.

46" trousers would be tough .. yes. how about graduating to a Scottish Kilt ?

But there are so many Internet shopping sites these days that it would be not difficult at all to ship over the latest trend +size stuff from US or elsewhere shipped to Mumbai. No ?
Old 14th June 2009, 23:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Alright Go to a Pringle showroom.They always have a size for plus.i have seen them having upto XXXXL sizes.and even their XL size is larger than regular ones.Also they have options for Custom ordering in case you're a giant.
Old 14th June 2009, 23:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

isnt pringle PROHIBITIVELY expensive?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks