Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2009, 13:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Friend going to Bangkok: Recommend places to buy a mobile phone for cheaper than Ind!

One of my friends is going to Bangkok for a few days this Friday. She has promised that she'll bring back a Mobile-phone for me. I am still deciding which one (in another thread), but what is more important is the place where she will be able to find AUTHENTIC and ORIGINAL handsets without ripping her off.
The prices should be substantially cheaper than India in order for me to even think of buying it.
Any suggestions for WHICH PLACE SHE SHOULD VISIT IN BANGKOK TO BUY THE PHONE?? Should I even think of purchasing it from there, or should I just purchase it from India!?
She is also going to Phuket and Koh Samui. So if there's something there, then she can look there too.
Cheers! And thanks for looking!
Old 14th June 2009, 14:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The prices are not great. I've been there and seen it. It's better to get it in India from your friendly neighbourhood dealer with warranty.

The prices are quite competitive in India itself.

Bangkok is cheaper but by a very small amount. I would rather spend the extra moolah and buy it here for peace of mind and the simple English keypad.

Anyway, if you are insistent, then Pantip Plaza is the place to go. Everything related to technology under one rood.
Old 14th June 2009, 15:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Even the tax on mobile phones is just 4% here in India unlike other commodities for which you pay 12%.
Old 14th June 2009, 23:24   #4
BHPian

I have been to Bangkok 6 months back, the cost of Mobile phones(Branded) was almost the same as you get here in Mumbai, I was looking for Nokia Communicator for by Brother in law, finally purchased it in Mumbai.
Old 14th June 2009, 23:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

what about those sharp and nec phones that come with MASSIVE specifications and are not available in india. stuff like 12MP cameras and 1024*768 rez screens!? are they available??
Old 15th June 2009, 00:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

A mobile phone from Koh Samui? Tell her to buy you some beach clothes and a string of beads to wear around your neck!

Frank, India is one of the most reliable and cheap places to buy a mobile phone.
Old 10th August 2009, 23:52   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Frank, India is one of the most reliable and cheap places to buy a mobile phone.
Indonesia is another one of these places. Thailand is not so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
One of my friends is going to Bangkok for a few days this Friday.
WHICH PLACE SHE SHOULD VISIT IN BANGKOK
SHE should visit places to pick up clothes and accessories (not car accessories) for herself. Once that starts your phone will be forgotten. If Indonesia is also on her itenery then it might be worth checking out the phones there. Some of my friends got some good deals.

Last edited by Live To Jive : 10th August 2009 at 23:54.
Old 11th August 2009, 01:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
what about those sharp and nec phones that come with MASSIVE specifications and are not available in india. stuff like 12MP cameras and 1024*768 rez screens!? are they available??
You must mean the NTT DoCoMo phones? Thats Japan man.

Trust me I've scourged thailand inside out. Our very own Heera Panna is better. Unless you are looking for something obscure like the 8910/7650 I saw some good refurbished units out there. There are some fundoo cheap rip-offs there for fun. HK is also better but definately not Bangkok.
Old 11th August 2009, 10:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ditch the plan doc.

Prices for MoPho's in India are prob amongst the lowest in the world.

On top of that Phuket & Samui are even more expensive than Bangkok as they are the core touristy area's so markup is 100%

Patong(Phuket) - Knockoff surfwear, jandals, knockoff watches, seafood

BTW might want her to watch activity since there is a tsunami warming out

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks