Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2009, 18:49   #1
BHPian

DREAMCARZ, A new monthly automotive magazine

Carbeez.com has released a new automobile monthly magazine, DREAM CARZ, starting from the month of may. As usual, on my trip to news-stands for monthly dose of automobile journalism, I came across this new addition and frankly I was not too impressed in first look but, going by the saying, ‘Never Judge a book by its cover’, I decided to give it a try alongside usual buys like Autocar, Top Gear, and Overdrive.

STYLE
As I have already mentioned, This magazine does not attract immediate attention in first look and it is most to do with the styling. Photograph selection is dismal and to top it, the actual photoshop work is minimal giving this magazine a very casual and unprofessional look. Their team needs to really look into this department in order to garner a subsequent look and maybe a purchase.

CONTENT
This magazine is aimed at automobile listing magazine going by their tagline and it shows from their stories. A new Toyota dealership in India gets as much space as the launch of Maruti Ritz, which is also the cover story. The fluidity of content is missing. You move from news round-up to cover story, and over to Tech Talk, only to return to news round-up again.

Most stories don’t give the feel of having been compiled by auto-enthusiasts rather by a journo completely disinterested and detached from automobile world. The language is bland and strictly informational.

EDITORIAL
The inaugural editorial talks about how this magazine stands apart from rest of the ‘pack’. One of the reasons given is that this magazine caters to ‘niche automobile segment’, editor might have been at benefit to explain this segment. Other difference is that it is an automotive listing magazine and proves it by having half the pages of the issue covered with adverts of sellers dealing in imported cars.

QUALITY
Quality of the magazine is quite decent and frankly the only saving grace. It actually feels like a proper magazine rather than classified section of some newspaper. That is, till you do not flip through pages. The advertisement quality is dismal. Pictures are stretched and their is not a single advertisement by a company, rather by dealers themselves. Back page is covered by Tata Motors assured advert which frankly is probably the best advert in the magazine.

COVER STORY
Maruti Ritz seems to be on cover page of every magazine this month and this one is no different. Cover page has a picture of Maruti CEO literally squatting next to a brand new Maruti Ritz. Coverage of the article is quite informative but nothing new for Team-Bhpians.

VERDICT
This is one magazine that can be overlooked on your next trip to news-stands at least till they go for a revamp.
Old 16th June 2009, 00:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review...

Money saved is money earned
Old 16th June 2009, 12:23   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Unless they find a differentiator / USP, I don't think their magazine is going anywhere. ACI, OD & BSM (in that order) cover pretty much everything related to the Indian car scene. And if they want to focus on the classifieds part, well, there are other players as well.

P.S. : Carbeez.com is under construction!! All in the attention to detail.
Old 16th June 2009, 22:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
P.S. : Carbeez.com is under construction!! All in the attention to detail.
I noticed that, too. Just goes on to show the level of professionalism involved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks